Possible to reinstall MSFS after clean install of Windows 10 with DVD1 only?

A few days ago, I had to wipe my OS clean, because the system was unbootable after the recovery of a backup. I decided to make a fresh install of Windows 10 rather than trying to resolve the boot issues, which would take a lot of time.

Since I am not at home, and I only have DVD1 with me, I was wondering if it's possible to reinstall MSFS2020 having only DVD1 and the activation code. Does having the code and being signed up on the MS Marketplace account give me the possibility do download the sim for a reinstall?  Also - and this might be useful information for you - I do have a backup of all MSFS2020 files (attention - the actual files on the hard drive, not the installation files from the DVD) from my old system. I could restore these files easily. Maybe this would make a reinstall easier?

Please let me know if I can do something, or if the only way is to wait until I will be back home.

I have figured it out myself. You can do it. Just download the sim from the Microsoft store, run it for the first time, and stop (exit) when it asks you to install the files. Then simply copy the backed up Community and Official folders into "C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages", and run the simulator again. No problems on my end with that method.

• Herman locked this topic

Archived