[Request] : Cologne Bonn airport

Aflyer

Hello

First of all thanks for the nicely modelled airport. But, I feel that the intensity of flood lights/apron lights are a bit low for an airport of that scale. Even the rear part of the aircraft is not properly illuminated by the apron lights especially at the passenger terminals. Generally, the whole aircraft is brightly lit by the flood lights. It would look great and much more vibrant if the intensity of the flood/apron lights could be increased a bit, ideally for all the flood lights if possible.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Jo Erlend said:

Hi, thanks! I'll make a note of this. The flood lights could indeed cover a larger extent of the aprons.

Thanks for ur reply. Definitely, that would make the night ambience at the airport much more realistic. Hoping to see that implemented.

First of all, I want to say that the airport looks great and that the performance is surprisingly good. I noticed a couple of things that seemed a little off, though, some are more pedantic than others, some may even be correct and some may be deliberate decisions, I'll just blurt them out regardless.

1. Misaligned/broken ILS

I've done this comparison with a minimum number of mods. In one case I had only Navigraph's navdata installed, which was necessary since with no mods at all the ILS on runway 32R  did not work. In the other case I had Navigraph + the EDDK mod.

On runway 14L the localizer is too far right. The first image shows the situations without the EDDK mod, the second on the situation with the mod when the aircraft is on the centerline, and the third one the situation with the mod when the aircraft is on the localizer.

Please login to display this image.

On runway 32R the same thing happens. The images are ordered identically to before.

On runway 24 the ILS worked fine in the base game (first image) and did not work at all with the mod installed (second image).

Edit: For good measure I did one test with only the EDDK mod installed (base navdata): Now the localizer on runway 14L worked fine but it was completely broken for runways 32R and 24.

2. Runway lights not centered

This is most noticeable on runway 06/24, where the entire set of lights seems to be too far to the right.

It is also the case for the centerline lights near the threshold of runway 32R, which seem to be too far left:

3. Autogenerated marker beacons

The marker beacons are generic autogenerated buildings, such as the middle marker of runway 24 shown in this picture (though the satellite dish is kinda cute):

4. No perimeter fence

There should be a chain-wire fence running around the perimeter of the airport:

5. Runway and approach lights always on

Even during the day with good visibility these lights are turned on (this is probably something that Asobo should fix globally):

6. Door into the abyss

Some of the jetways do not have this bendy part but still have a door towards the front.

7. Misplaced approach lights

The approach lights on runway 24 are not were the aerial photography shows them:

8. Double pole

9. Magic jetway

I did park too far forward here but maybe I should get a message from ATC that the jetway could not be connected rather than that this happens. The video shows the disconnection of the jetway and that some part magically appears again (watch the bendy part).

Please login to view this video.

• Deputy Sheriffs

#2 - Centerline lighting is not always centered IRL. See this link and this one. Zooming in on runway 06/24 and 14L/32R in Google Earth clearly shows the offset. For takeoff and landing, you want the nosewheel on the centerline. The type that projects slightly above the runway surface is commonly offset, so you don't get annoying  "bumping" as you pass over each one, especially at speed and on centerline. The bumping is simulated in good sceneries, and you'll hear it if you're over on the lights. The kind that's recessed (to avoid getting broken by snowplows I understand) is more expensive to install, but is more frequently aligned.

#6 - That's the way they are IRL, as not all gates at EDDK have complete jetways. Again, see Google Earth.

Thanks for the other observations. Let's see what Jo has to say. Using generic buildings especially for outlying objects is likely a time and effort saving technique for keeping cost down.

50 minutes ago, Herman said:

Centerline lighting is not always centered IRL. See this link and this one. For takeoff and landing, you want the nosewheel on the centerline. The type that projects slightly above the runway surface is commonly offset, so you don't get "bumping" as you pass over each one, especially at speed and on centerline. The bumping is simulated in good sceneries, and you'll hear it if you're over on the lights. . The kind that's recessed (to avoid getting broken by snowplows I understand) is more expensive to install, but is more frequently aligned. Someone with accurate knowledge of the real alignment at EDDK would be welcome to share what they know about this.

That could of course be that case here as well. Just some questions out of interest:

• Would the touchdown zone lights and the runway side lights also ever be offset (like they are in the picture I provided)?
  • Would the centerline lights still run parallel to the actual centerline or could they also cross and form an X-shape? Cause this is the case on runway 06/24 in the mod, were the centerline lights are to the right of the centerline near the eastern end (first image) and to the left near the western end (third image). They cross somewhere near the middle of the runway (second image).

Edit: OK, sure Google Maps is indeed the way to go. Here it looks like only the centerline lights (and not the touchdown zone and side lights) are offset and that they should still run parallel to the centerline itself, pretty much barely touching the right side of the centerline stripes when looking down runway 24.

#6 - That's the way they are IRL, as not all gates at EDDK have complete jetways. Again, see Google Earth.

I should have made it more clear that I was specifically wondering about the door towards the front without any stairs attached to it (could still very well be correct).

Using generic buildings especially for outlying objects is likely a time and effort saving technique for keeping cost down.

That's fair enough, at some point you have to call it a day.

19 hours ago, Ignavia said:

I should have made it more clear that I was specifically wondering about the door towards the front without any stairs attached to it (could still very well be correct).

It is indeed correct and accurately modeled, so the 6th item in my list is not an issue.

The only serious issue is the ILS anyway, the rest is far less important.

• Developer

Hello,

I'm able to recreate the LOC/GS signal loss when the aircraft is on the runway, can you confirm that the signal works correctly above 350-400ish feet?
Since I see the same issue with both the default scenery and the EDDK scenery I'm gonna need to check with Asobo what's causes this signal blind spot.

35 minutes ago, Jo Erlend said:

I'm able to recreate the LOC/GS signal loss when the aircraft is on the runway, can you confirm that the signal works correctly above 350-400ish feet?

Yes, the signal was received when I was a couple feet (maybe 20-30) above the runway (both 32R and 24).

41 minutes ago, Jo Erlend said:

Since I see the same issue with both the default scenery and the EDDK scenery I'm gonna need to check with Asobo what's causes this signal blind spot.

Alright, thank you very much.

Archived