FPS drop after landing in EDDK

Omar Al-Safi

Hello All, 

I have noticed very weird issue, If I land in a EDDK (with Aerosoft scenery), the FPS will drop (40 to 25), this does not happen if I start from the airport’s gate, only on landing. It can be visible if when I start taxing to the gate. The GPU will maxed out and it will become GPU limited. Anybody noticed something similar?

My specs:
i9-9900k
RTX2080Super
32gb RAM

I am running with high to ultra settings, 100% render scale and on 2K resolution.

P/S: I noticed that, If I try to resize MSFS window, let's say smaller and then bigger again just to force MSFS to re-render,  it will recover the FPS again. The same if I use the developer camera, try to just move the camera far away and back again to the airport, it will as well recover the FPS. 

thank you

1 hour ago, Jo Erlend said:

To add to what Mathijs said, @Omar Al-Safi does this happen only at Cologne or do you experience the same issue at other "larger" airports as well?

I tested again on other airports as well, unfortunately it happens as well in other larger airports. I presume this is an issue from the sim core? What actually puzzles me, I don't really see much reports about it, hence I don't think it happens to other folks out there? 

• Developer

One thing that could be worth checking is your NVIDIA control panel settings,
during testing we did find that FXAA etc could clog the Renderthread / GPU in more heavy areas.

Although this does not really explain why you see worse performance when flying to large airports compared to when starting at them.

Spoiler

Please login to display this image.

11 hours ago, Jo Erlend said:

One thing that could be worth checking is your NVIDIA control panel settings,
during testing we did find that FXAA etc could clog the Renderthread / GPU in more heavy areas.

Although this does not really explain why you see worse performance when flying to large airports compared to when starting at them.

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah that is off. As I think this is an issue from the sim rather than the scenery, I'd wait and see patch #7 for the CPU optimization if this can be improved further. 

Thank you for your time. 

11 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Well, perhaps it is because people understand that if you want to show a lot of detail the fps must take a hit? If you GPU maxes out it means you simply can't show more objects without dropping fps.

I do understand what you mean here but the drop that I see is really abnormal sometimes, for example out of sudden from 40fps to 20fps although the scene has already rendered. I have tested my settings very carefully in order to not stress GPU and I kinda found my sweetspot in the configs. However, this issue started to be visible with me since patch #5, it could be something from my PC, no idea, I am still tweaking hoping to reduce issue and let's see what could work out. 

• 2 weeks later...

After the update I tried again in this issue. It is still producible upon arriving to EDDK. At least now I know how to produce it (using the developer camera but is the similar issue if I land), here we go for how from my end:

1. Start from EDDK and use the developer camera. If you play around with the camera here, you would get a good fps

2. To simulate arriving to EDDK , use the developer to move the camera to another location , let's see to Düsseldorf ,just to force the sim to start loading new location .

3. Now take back the developer camera to EDDK, wait until the CPU completes loading the autogen, at this point hopefully you will see the fps drop and thus the GPU limited issue.

4. At the point where the fps drops ,I tried to lower the setting to Low but it doesn't help , the only the thing can help is to resize the sim window to a very small size and back again until the fps recovers as I mentioned in my OP.

I am using the sim as windowed mode in 2k screen.

Okay Aerosoft team, after intensive tests (removing all mods and reduce all settings to low), I am convinced is an issue from MSFS, not from Aerosoft EDDK. It is even reproducible on a clean setup. I am honestly clueless why it happens, what puzzles me more that I don't see much complaining in the official forum about an issue like mine. However it is even tricky to reproduce it :(.

Archived