Scenery compatibility issues with P3D V5.X - Textures simobjects showing through fog/clouds

mpo910

Dear Aerosoft!

Almost all of the Mega Airports and other Airports, which can be purchased via various Markets as well Aerosofts own marketplace, where "sold" as compatible with P3D V5. But due the new Lightning within P3D V5.X and the Enhanced Atmospherics Mode turned on, there are issues with almost all of the Airports.

They have textures shining through clouds/fog and do not match/blend well with the new EA mode.

As Aerosoft publishes scenery compatible with P3D V5.X, I would like to know when we can count with updates.

Here are some Airports which have known issues

EDDF   Aerosoft
EDDK   Aerosoft
EDDN   29Palms
EETN   Aerosoft
ENGM   Aerosoft
ENVA   Aerosoft
FACT   FSDG
FIMP   FSDG
GCLA   Aerosoft
GCLP   Aerosoft
GOBD   FSDG
LEBL   Aerosoft
LEIB   Aerosoft
LEMD   Aerosoft
LEMG   Aerosoft
LEPA   Aerosoft
LGSM   Aerosoft
LSZH   Aerosoft
LTFE   Aerosoft
LXGB   Aerosoft

LM stated that the issue occurs due the fact they changed the SDK and therefore updates are required to "be compatible again".

To reproduce the issue you may:

- Fire up P3D V5.X

- Location EDDF

- EA Mode on

- Take a plane

- Go to the outside view or fly up to above a cloud/fog layer (setup via custom weather

- and see how some simobjects textures blend through the clouds.

A feedback would be welcome.

Thanks a lot.

Regards Marcus (EDDF) 

Vor 1 Stunde, Mathijs Kok sagte:

We have been told by Lockheed that this is a known bug of P3D and that they hope to fix is. 

Hello Mister Kok,

that isn´t the info LM stated on their own Support Forums as well which some well known Devs, who are Beta testers, given us.

Here is the quote from Rob McCarthy from LM at one of the topics regarding this issue. He is also speaking of its "own" P3D simobjects as well of once from the other 3.Parties

"Hi Peter,

Yes, we will continue to fix content issues that exhibit this issue. Some default content has been fixed in 5.1 and we are planning to include more in the upcoming hotfix. We are also working directly with third parties to help narrow down how to fix specific content issues in their products.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy"

And here is the Link to the topic at LM. It is the second post there:

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=140148

That would also mean, that ALL Addon airports have the same issues, which is not the case.

Here is a quote from a well known Beta Tester in the scene: Rob Ainscough which he wrote to ORBX, who have the same issues.

"Nick ... per Larry's testing, you need to set Z-Write alpha to False.

If those objects are not PBR, it would be helpful to users if they were converted to PBR.

LM's suggestions to help mitigate the issue:

• Flagging the placements to not batch if you are re-using the same transparent object across large areas. If the objects are close together with no other transparencies between them, this should be okay in most situations.
  • Avoid using z write alpha flag, it hasn't been supported for some time.
  • Use alpha to coverage / alpha testing instead of transparent blends where appropriate.
  • If you are transparent blending a quad over the terrain, make sure it is flagged as a decal with the correct order.

I realize that might be a lot of work for what could be $0 income.

Cheers, Rob."

A link to this post you will find here:

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/201443-prepar3d-v51/?do=findComment&comment=1720742

It would be nice if you would get in contact with LM and clarify this, if that is not done in between my first post and now.

Because this is not a bug anymore, which we assumed during the phase P3D truesky was in Beta, it needs some changes on your end. 

But I would like to thank you again for this quick reply and hope we can sort this out. As in its current state it is a real immersion killer and that would be a pity for all of us.

Also I am one of the customers who keeps buying your product, even though the times are somehow turbulent 😉

Regards Marcus 

2 hours ago, flycln said:

Totally agree. When there are major visual glitches in a new version, products shouldn't be sold as compatible with it. That's misleading.

+1 here. The black objects are really immersion killers

• Aerosoft
Just now, B777ER said:

So it looks like the ball is now in Aerosoft court @Mathijs Kok We know that Aerosoft is no longer developing for P3D but what about supporting your current products to make them fully compatible?

We for sure still work on P3d projects, where did you get we are not? On the issue at hand, as said I will ask the Scenery project manager to comment.

vor 5 Minuten, Mathijs Kok sagte:

Well that for sure is not what we heard. But I will ask the scenery Project Manager to comment. Think he is out this week though.

Really appreciated it Mister Kok.

And I would like to have it respectful here (to all the others posting here). 😉

A follow up would be great. Especially as the Lead Dev from LM, Mister Mc Carthy, has now stated it is not an issue anymore. 

Regards

Marcus

vor 7 Minuten, B777ER sagte:

So it looks like the ball is now in Aerosoft court @Mathijs Kok We know that Aerosoft is no longer developing for P3D but what about supporting your current products to make them fully compatible?

Thanks for posting. But we should leave it to the subject and also not make any assumptions here... Let´s ask Aerosoft to follow up and release patches as soon as possible. That would be great! 😉

Marcus

• Developer

We (sim-wings) will check all the airports in V5 and fix the issue, but this need some time, as we must check all parts, to prevent other side effects, special when EA is not used. The updates will be then available via ASupdater for the V5 Versions. But we will not guaranty, that V5.0 will be anymore full compatible, as we now only orient our test on V5.1

But we hope, the LM will think about there update Strategie, when they are not anymore compatible to there own SDK (non PBR) Material definitions, it is hard to support such a product with addons in future. 

I've seen a video today where it was described that only three values in Alpha Test section of the  corresponding .bgl files have to be changed.

Alpha Function "GreaterEqual" to "Never"

Alpha Test Level "0" to "1"

Z-Test Alpha "True" to "False"

I'm not sure if this covers the whole problem. But if true, then it seems not too difficult to change it.

• Developer
20 minutes ago, HJMX said:

I've seen a video today where it was described that only three values in Alpha Test section of the  corresponding .bgl files have to be changed.

Alpha Function "GreaterEqual" to "Never"

Alpha Test Level "0" to "1"

Z-Test Alpha "True" to "False"

I'm not sure if this covers the whole problem. But if true, then it seems not too difficult to change it.

Unfortunately, that is not the solution, as it only brings the transparent objects behind the fog and clouds, but will kill the objects at all in there Transparents to them self and other objects behind. 
LM is simple not compatible with the new EA Clouds and Fog to there own SDK Materials. Call it feature or bug ;)

• Developer

To end the complite hype here: The Issue will be solved via Hotfix 1 for Prepar3D V5.1 !

So nothing to do from developer/product side, Lookheed Martin has seen, that it is in issue on there side and will fix it soon.

• Aerosoft

I am adding a comment to this close topic. As I said we believe this is a bug in PD V5.1 and as I said it is for Lockheed to sort out.  Now I can't say a lot more, but can I ask everybody who claims this is an issue our developers need to sort out and that I talk bullshit just one thing.  Should Lockheed sort this issue out in the next week, making it clear this is a bug in the sim and not in the work the add-on devs have done, can I just ask for a very small apology? Just saying that the issue was blown up and misunderstood? No big deal, Shit happens and everybody uses large words on forums.

But our developers (and thus Aerosoft) were accused of being sloppy, I was accused of trying to cover up. Now we got thick skin, we have had this kind of things many many times. But again, if this is simply proven to be a bug in the sim and not the add-on, it would be highly appreciated if the people using the big words retract them. 

Archived