MSFS: Separate Harddrive?

Hello,
I have a question about the installation location of MSFS 2020: I bought the special issue on MSFS 2020 from Gamestar magazine, which recommends not to install MSFS on the same hard drive as the operating system.
Is it really mandatory to pay attention to this? If you buy the Steam version, MSFS will surely be installed on the same hard drive. I'm having a new PC set up right now and if that's really important I would have another SSD built in for MSFS.
Many thanks for your help!

My initial boxed installation took place on a separate SSD disc in my "old" computer and worked nicely apart from the fps due to processor and graphic card. So I decided to get a new computer of the latest stand and reinstalled the MFS without any problem- and MFS is now installed on the C:\ disc which is a 1TB SSD working nicely. With reservation for what this "special edition" is from a magazine I can confirm that having the MFS on same disc as Windows doesnt create a problem. I am however making an entire system image weekly and in particular in front of Windows updates to be able to rescue the C disc in case of problem, in particular with MFS version updates.

Åke

• Aerosoft
7 hours ago, BadPilot1966 said:

Hello,
I have a question about the installation location of MSFS 2020: I bought the special issue on MSFS 2020 from Gamestar magazine, which recommends not to install MSFS on the same hard drive as the operating system.
Is it really mandatory to pay attention to this? If you buy the Steam version, MSFS will surely be installed on the same hard drive. I'm having a new PC set up right now and if that's really important I would have another SSD built in for MSFS.
Many thanks for your help!

Inside steam you can make multiple libraries, so you can install in any location you want.
The standard version allows you to select the location, check this: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015910560-Can-I-choose-or-change-the-installation-path-

Thanks, Akki and Mathijs for your replies! I'm still a little unsure because the Gamestar says that you shouldn't install MSFS on the hard drive on which the operating system is located. So far i have installed all flight simulators (FSX, P3D, X-Plane) on the same hard drive with the operating system, only in a separate directory. Is that different with MSFS? I understood that it is possible to install MSFS on a separate harddrive. But is it also necessary or recommended?

• Deputy Sheriffs

The main thing to avoid if you choose to install on your system drive is to NOT install into one of the protected folders (Program Files, Program Files x86 or ProgramData). Just use whatever drive has the most room, as just the sim needs around 90 to 100GB without add-ons, so you'll want room for those.

MFS selects the right directory for you on C, - no issue. 

And having an image of C is perfect-if anything happens, with the disc or software.

Åke

If you use a backup program saving the complete partition or disk (which I recommend!), then using a seperate partition for the sim is the best.
In case of a OS problem or sim problem you are able to restore the defect part without loosing the latest status of the other.

Using 2 disks maybe a performance gain also.

/Othello

14 minutes ago, Othello said:

Using 2 disks maybe a performance gain also.

/Othello

This was my initial intention as I had the original installation on a separate SSD which I intended to move physically to a new computer-however the uncertainty in the forums including Aerosoft who delivered my boxed version I decided not to. Today we are more skilled.

I saw also that the installation to a separate disc places folders such as Community (addon folder) anyhow on the C partition as well as the Flightplan files.

Åke 

Archived