Managed descent on A330 Professional version 1.0.3.1

I seem to be having an issue in P3DV4.5 with this aircraft.   When I approach the TOD, I click in on the Altitude knob, which should arm the managed descent.  However, what it does is go into VS mode, requiring me to pick a VS.   When I pull out on the Altitude knob, it goes into OP Desc mode and seems to somwhat follow the descent path.  Also, there is no green dot on the left side of the speed tape on the PFD, which would show if I am on the descent path, above it or below it.   This behavior does not seem right.  Can you advise?

• Deputy Sheriffs

If you initiate the DES some way before T/D the plane will go in a shallow DES before following the VPATH.
Please post a scrennshot right before initiating DES, and one or two after.

I did do that, and it worked.  However, to activate it, I had to PULL the altitude knob, which is the opposite of how it should work.  For managed descent, you PUSH that knob, and a white dot should appear on the altitude display.  Also, a green dot should appear on the left side of the speed tape on the PFD, showing you whether you are on the vertical managed path (dot in center), or above or below it.  That dot does not show up.  Please advise.

Had the same issue tonight. Pushed to initiate descent went into v/s mode. It changed out of v/s mode after activating approach phase. I had to manage entire descent with v/s speed.

• Deputy Sheriffs

No problem on my side. Have you entered everything in MCDU?

Please login to display this image.

OK, my pics are below.  This was a flight from KORD to KMSP.  ATC lowered me to FL340 at ROBBY.  I was at FL360.  I changed the flight level in the MCDU and with the altitude knob, and started the descent about 10 miles before the TOD cue, by pressing the Altitude knob, which should arm the descent in managed mode, with a white dot in the altitude disply. It did not.  It just showed a display to the right for a VS mode, instead of a dot.  To get it to descend in managed mode, I had to pull the altitude knob with a right click, but it still did not put the right dot in the altitude display showing managed mode, and did not show the green dot on the left side of the speed tape in the PFD.  It did start the descent though.  This is exactly opposite how that knob should work.  Something is not right here.   I installed this aircraft and did the update for it via the aerosoft update app.

• Deputy Sheriffs
1 hour ago, Greg Goodavish said:

OK, my pics are below.  This was a flight from KORD to KMSP.  ATC lowered me to FL340 at ROBBY.  I was at FL360.  I changed the flight level in the MCDU and with the altitude knob, and started the descent about 10 miles before the TOD cue, by pressing the Altitude knob, which should arm the descent in managed mode, with a white dot in the altitude disply. It did not.  It just showed a display to the right for a VS mode, instead of a dot.  To get it to descend in managed mode, I had to pull the altitude knob with a right click, but it still did not put the right dot in the altitude display showing managed mode, and did not show the green dot on the left side of the speed tape in the PFD.  It did start the descent though.  This is exactly opposite how that knob should work.  Something is not right here.   I installed this aircraft and did the update for it via the aerosoft update app.

A screenshot right prior pressing anything is missing.

OK, I flew another flight tonight from CYYZ to CYUL.  About ten miles from TOD, I pressed the vertical speed button once, and got the VS ____ display.  I then pulled it, and then pressed the Alt select button.  This time, the white dot for managed descent came on, and the green dot to the left of the speed tape on the PFD was now there.  It performed a managed descent admirably.  I will continue some flights to see if I can reproduce this again, and will report back.  

• Deputy Sheriffs

Ok after reading your last post. I think you just use the Bus the wrong way.

If you want a managed descent with the DES mode active on FMA you just dial in your cleared alt and press the the same alt selector knob.

No need to touch the VS knob or the ALT button.

That is exactly what I did on my previous flights, and it did not work as I described.  On my last flight, I pressed the VS adjustment knob as an experiment, and then the altitude adjustment knob, and then the aircraft worked as it should, as described.  I will experiment further and report back.

Archived