Another "will it run?" topic

lmhariano

I've been using the 32-bit Airbus bundle in FSX-SE. I purchased the planes at Steam, so no upgrade promo for me (sad... but that´s another discussion).

2 weeks ago I moved to P3D4.5, and now I'm looking for a bus. This is my rig:

Asus TUF FX504GD gaming laptop

CPU: i5-8300H restricted to 3.4 GHz for P3D4 (for enhanced thermal stability).

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050, 2 GB, with boost disabled (for enhanced thermal stability).

RAM: 8GB (I don´t remember the rest of the specs).

Storage: 256 GB M.2 SSD (for OS)+ 1 TB SATA III SSD (for documents and sims).

Saitek X-52 controller (should not make any difference)

Display: 15.6", 1920 x 1080

For reference, in FSX-SE I downgraded all textures to 1024 x 1024 (I don´t care about 4096 textures), limited AI to 80 planes with FSUIPC4 and thus I could fly the buses at minimum 30 FPS without much concern (except maybe at default EDDF, EGLL and KJFK). I don't use addon airports in FSX or P3D, just Orbx Global+Vector+LC.

I've read the minimum requirements, but my only concern is VRAM. With similar usage conditions, will I be able to fly this plane without issues in P3D4.5 and keep at least 30 FPS?

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hard to say, as you would need somebody with the same hardware and setttings. On a vanilla P3D with low settings, it might work.

I know I am posting this frequently, but I had exactly the same challenge and almost the same machine - I have Asus FX503 with 1 TB SSD addedd. Full specs below (yeah, in Polish, but I guess it;s obvious).

So - I run P3D v4.5 with fully ORBXed world and AS TwOtter works in 30-35 fps, AS CRJ 20 fps and AS A320 15-20 fps. I mean below 3000 ft ;) And that is on Medium/Low settings.

I tried P3D v5 and requested a refund exactly because while indeed it was running NOTICEABLY smoother in 10-15 minutes into the game I was getting VRAM erro and CTD :(

You can see I have 4 GB video card but slightly slower CPU. If your attitude is - hey, it's AIRCRAFT/FLIGHT SIMULATOR and not SCENERY simulator (not mine, but I love it) - you'll have plenty of fun with AS A320. Just with scenery from Level-D from 2000 :D

Dane techniczne
laptop ASUS FX503VD-E4082T Intel® Core™ i5-7300HQ - 8GB RAM - 1TB Dysk - GTX1050 Grafika - Win10
PARAMETRY EKRANU 
Ekran 15,6 cala, 1920 x 1080 pikseli
Model procesora Intel® Core™ i5 7gen 7300HQ
Częstotliwość taktowania 2,5 - 3,5 GHz
Pamięć RAM 16 GB
Typ pamięci RAM DDR4 2400 MHz
KARTA GRAFICZNA 
Model karty graficznej nVidia® GTX 1050
Pamięć karty graficznej 4 GB

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Sholay, even in Polish I can see your system specs are very close to mine, except that your VRAM is 4 GB (when the requirement is 3GB). Mine is just 2 GB, with the same GPU. That issue you describe with P3D5 is why I went straight with P3D4. Those 15-20 FPS with the AS Airbus are with the original textures (as installed) or reduced to 1024x1024?

In my case, I didn´t only resize the AS textures, but also the Orbx buildings (HD is too much for airliners). Orbx Vector was set according to the Avsim P3D Guide (closer to your attitude). The default trees were decent enough for me.

On 10/23/2020 at 6:58 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

I think it will work.

Mathijs, I've been reading the Revocation Rights page here. Please confirm me if I understood correctly: If I don't like how the bus behaves in my rig, can I return it within 14 days of purchase and request a refund?

On 11/5/2020 at 5:06 PM, lmhariano said:

Hello Sholay, even in Polish I can see your system specs are very close to mine, except that your VRAM is 4 GB (when the requirement is 3GB). Mine is just 2 GB, with the same GPU. That issue you describe with P3D5 is why I went straight with P3D4. Those 15-20 FPS with the AS Airbus are with the original textures (as installed) or reduced to 1024x1024?

In my case, I didn´t only resize the AS textures, but also the Orbx buildings (HD is too much for airliners). Orbx Vector was set according to the Avsim P3D Guide (closer to your attitude). The default trees were decent enough for me.

Hello, yes - textures are straight out of the box. 

Did not realize I can reduce :D Is it something I can do in the AS Configurator or manual intervention is required?

&

9 hours ago, sholay said:

Is it something I can do in the AS Configurator or manual intervention is required?

No, not in the AS Configurator, but neither manual. I use a tool named Ordenador ("computer" in Iberian Spanish). This tool originally developed for Skyrim, and it's available at https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/12801. Please see below what I do: 

Please login to display this image.

I only set mipmaps and texture resizing. If you see that file size does not change, it's because the texture already has mips and is at/below the set resolution. Please take into account that this is not supported by Aerosoft. You're doing this under your own risk. So backup first!

• Aerosoft
On 11/6/2020 at 4:50 PM, lmhariano said:

Mathijs, I've been reading the Revocation Rights page here. Please confirm me if I understood correctly: If I don't like how the bus behaves in my rig, can I return it within 14 days of purchase and request a refund?

Only boxed version, download sales can't be refunded. When you buy you get warned about this two times.

On 11/10/2020 at 12:31 AM, lmhariano said:

No, not in the AS Configurator, but neither manual. I use a tool named Ordenador ("computer" in Iberian Spanish). This tool originally developed for Skyrim, and it's available at https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/12801. Please see below what I do: 

(...)

I only set mipmaps and texture resizing. If you see that file size does not change, it's because the texture already has mips and is at/below the set resolution. Please take into account that this is not supported by Aerosoft. You're doing this under your own risk. So backup first!

Which textures?

All what is in C:\Users\...\Documents\Aerosoft\Aerosoft A320-A321 Professional\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aerosoft A320 CFM Professional?

Thanks!

&

Please remember that I don't have yet the A320 Professional. I don'k know how is the folder structure there. I only have the 32-bit version so far. I did this for each livery folder and for the fallback textures. Backup first.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I did finally purchase the 64-bit buses. After resizing textures, I was able to fly them without any issues. In my heavy duty test flight I manage to get 26-27 FPS (locked at 31, but FFTF=0.01...the best of both worlds). VRAM rarely went over 1.6 GB. I had definitely missed the A320 in P3D!!

On 11/11/2020 at 10:15 AM, sholay said:

Which textures?

All what is in C:\Users\...\Documents\Aerosoft\Aerosoft A320-A321 Professional\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aerosoft A320 CFM Professional?

I applied this but to an upper folder, i.e., C:\Users\...\Documents\Aerosoft\Aerosoft A320-A321 Professional\SimObjects\Airplanes. I understand only the Airbus aircraft are there. As I said before:

1) Backup first.

2) Don't expect Aerosoft to support this. You're on your own.

3) If any issues arise, use your backup for going back to the start.

Archived