Geneva CTD's - terrain.dll

gregoryv

I have strange issue with Geneva scenery.

Two flights - two CTDs. The error is terrain.dll 

It happen on two different flights on AKITO 2N arrival , ils 04 between waypoints LIRKO and SOVAD, 

between FL 120 and FL80.

I am using P3D v5.

I can report I never had this ctd type.

What can be a problem?

Thanks

The CTD at Geneva has been reported a few times , there is a post about it happening in v4 as well, me and a friend found a workaround for his issue which is in this post somewhere , but yes there does seem to be an issue.

Rich

I tried it in P3D5 , LUSAR 2R and got my first CTD on that route just past SOVAD towards GG507......i will try the fix me and my mate did in v4 and see if that helps next flight.

Tried again... Same fix as per v4 works in v5 , setting the Autogen and scenery draw distance to medium seems to fix the CTD

Please login to display this image.

Thanks,

But I don't understand why I need to lower autogen and scenery draw distance to medium ( currently on high) while I have no similar issues with more than 100 other sceneries I have.

It definitely smth wrong with this scenery.

3 hours ago, gregoryv said:

Thanks,

But I don't understand why I need to lower autogen and scenery draw distance to medium ( currently on high) while I have no similar issues with more than 100 other sceneries I have.

It definitely smth wrong with this scenery.

Its just a workaround try it and see if it works for you, it has for me and a mate and will enable you to fly into LSGG ... something that i guess is being drawn or loading when that setting is above medium is causing it... failing that don't fly over  SOVAD and route to the next fix past that, that was another workaround we tried that seemed to work.

7 hours ago, keenrw said:

Its just a workaround try it and see if it works for you, it has for me and a mate and will enable you to fly into LSGG ... something that i guess is being drawn or loading when that setting is above medium is causing it... failing that don't fly over  SOVAD and route to the next fix past that, that was another workaround we tried that seemed to work.

Thanks. I will. 

19 hours ago, gregoryv said:

Thanks. I will. 

Let me know how you get on please, that slider controls two customizable settings in the cfg file ... below is the settings set for medium and high, over the next few days i will be increasing one to the high setting and keeping the other at medium … Doing a flight...then changing over then doing another flight to see which one triggers the CTD …Autogen or Scenery

Medium

AUTOGEN_DRAW_DISTANCE=12000.000000

SCENERY_DRAW_DISTANCE=32000.000000

High

AUTOGEN_DRAW_DISTANCE=18000.000000

SCENERY_DRAW_DISTANCE= 47666.000000

Rich

• 1 month later...

Well unfortunately I get to chime in. CTD over LSGG, not SOVAD but the GVA VOR to be exact (took 3 tries to figure this out), flying EHAM-FACT, PMDG 777, P3D v4.5, Orbx Vector installed. Had no issues on a flight from Geneva to Zürich 2 days ago and Zürich to Geneva worked fine at the beginning of November as well.

Windows Event Log also showed terrain.dll

Hope this helps and doesnt make it harder.

• Aerosoft
On 12/15/2020 at 1:59 PM, Cholezystolithiasis said:

Well unfortunately I get to chime in. CTD over LSGG, not SOVAD but the GVA VOR to be exact (took 3 tries to figure this out), flying EHAM-FACT, PMDG 777, P3D v4.5, Orbx Vector installed. Had no issues on a flight from Geneva to Zürich 2 days ago and Zürich to Geneva worked fine at the beginning of November as well.

Windows Event Log also showed terrain.dll

Hope this helps and doesnt make it harder.

try to move your p3d.cfg to another location and let P3d make a new one. 

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem at LSGG v2.0.0.3 in P3Dv5.1 HF1.
Three times flying from GCTS to LSGG on BELUS arrival route, three CTD somewhere between CBY and GVA VOR's.

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: Prepar3D.exe, Version: 5.1.12.26829, Zeitstempel: 0x5fb44f72
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: terrain.dll, Version: 5.1.12.26829, Zeitstempel: 0x5fb44edf
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x0000000000009313
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x27ec
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d6ed63861d271e
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: D:\P3Dv51\Prepar3D.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: D:\P3Dv51\terrain.dll
Berichtskennung: 646295e9-957e-4c59-8491-8f00e850fe59
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets: 
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist: 

I did a flight to LSGG from EGKK the other day and that worked without a problem. So far only happens if I approach the airport from the south.

• 2 weeks later...

Also having the same issues as many here have reported. Just as I was reaching SOVAD the sim stuttered massively for 10-20secs then the sim finally gave up and crashed. Is this still being traced? Can we expect to see a fix. My personal fix is avoid SOVAD on the LUSAR arrivals. But it does mean I can't fly online with ATC 😕

My P3D is latest v5 and is a relatively fresh install as of 3 days ago. I completely reinstalled windows too. Running ORBX Open LC ubderneath but don't have the issue without the scenery installed.

9 hours ago, kianlark said:

Also having the same issues as many here have reported. Just as I was reaching SOVAD the sim stuttered massively for 10-20secs then the sim finally gave up and crashed. Is this still being traced? Can we expect to see a fix. My personal fix is avoid SOVAD on the LUSAR arrivals. But it does mean I can't fly online with ATC 😕

My P3D is latest v5 and is a relatively fresh install as of 3 days ago. I completely reinstalled windows too. Running ORBX Open LC ubderneath but don't have the issue without the scenery installed.

What do you have for your Autogen and scenery draw distance slider?.. Me and a mate found that setting this one slider to Medium helps if we fly into LSGG, and we have not had a CTD since when we fly there..even routing overhead SOVAD, regarding flying online you still can … Ask the controller via PM if you can avoid SOVAD due to a CTD issue and im sure he will be ok with it, in fact you will more than likely get radar vectored off the STAR anyway.

Rich

35 minutes ago, keenrw said:

What do you have for your Autogen and scenery draw distance slider?.. Me and a mate found that setting this one slider to Medium helps if we fly into LSGG, and we have not had a CTD since when we fly there..even routing overhead SOVAD, regarding flying online you still can … Ask the controller via PM if you can avoid SOVAD due to a CTD issue and im sure he will be ok with it, in fact you will more than likely get radar vectored off the STAR anyway.

Rich

Well my Autogen and scenery draw distance slider IS set at medium. I even had a CTD flying past LSGG during a flight from Zürich to Malaga the other day.

I have now sadly uninstalled LSGG ...

On 10/19/2020 at 7:22 PM, gregoryv said:

Today I did the same flight and same route.

The only change was FSDT Geneva scenery instead Aerosoft one. No CTD.

Ive just had a look in the FSDT Forum and there are also reports of the same issue with their scenery. It has been suggested that the ILS frequency change causes problems. FSDT have today however posted that its an Orbx issue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 9:34 PM, keenrw said:

Rich

Thank Rich, I have other sceneries so will just fly elsewhere until the issue can be resolved.

Im not quite buying into this "all down to Orbx" theory as I was having CTD's when just flying over or past LSGG.
Since I have uninstalled the LSGG scenery I have not had any more CTD's in this region. This even though all my Orbx is still active.

• Deputy Sheriffs
4 hours ago, Brittanix said:

Im not quite buying into this "all down to Orbx" theory as I was having CTD's when just flying over or past LSGG.
Since I have uninstalled the LSGG scenery I have not had any more CTD's in this region. This even though all my Orbx is still active.

Two LSGG sceneries from different vendors have a CTD when ORBX is active....so it's likely a problem of ORBX.

See here for FSDT LSGG CTD...
CTD 10 m before landing in GVA (fsdreamteam.com)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

You didnt read the topic above yours?

2 sceneries from from 2 different developers and only when Orbx stuff is installed?

So the idiots are Aerosoft and FSDT?

• 4 months later...

Quick update, just completed my first flight into Aerosofts LSGG with the above file disabled while leaving the Autogen and Scenery draw distance slider set to High (get a CTD with that setting normally) and I was able to do the full STAR, Approach and Land on runway 22 without any issues so for me at least i can confirm that renaming the Orbx Land Class file fixes the CTD issue, it's a temp fix at least..... I have not done a flight into the default LSGG with that file enabled.

So the Issue looks like It's ...

1) An Issue with that one Orbx file, Which hopefully will get fixed

2) That Orbx file is conflicting with Aerosofts LSGG  causing on some users PC a CTD

Rich

Archived