Stab Trim at MAX during HDG turns

Manfred Tamminga

Hi there,

The stab Trim always goes off beyond the limit to maximum if I use the HDG knob to manually intercept the ILS for example

Has someone noticed that correlation between HDG in curves and Trim?

Greetings

Manfred

Hi A_Pilot,

well, lets try to explain in a little bit more deeply! I now encountered this behavior not only on  HDG turns, but even  at FMS/NAV turns, both on Autopilot. While doing its turn the CRJ increases the Nose Up Stab trim from its normal green range (0.0 to about 7.0) to Max 15.0 (Buttons Auto Stab Trim/ Mach Trim are activated) This behavior is followed by a rapidly loss of altitude (stall), which can barly be compensated by maxiumum Toga Thrust. The only thing that might help, is to reduce the trim on the yoke manually. But I cant not believe this should be made by every turn manually, can it?

I find the CRJ quite insteresting but with that, its not flyable for me!

Greetings

What speed are you flying at when you make these turns? If you have any pictures that would help a lot, this doesn't sounds like normal CRJ behaviour, but if you're not flying fast enough or are overloaded this could be the case. 

Wolfgang, good hint about the "No Auto Thrust" but I am Aware of that! 🙂

Anyway the speed control might have been a good advice! I now flew some legs DUS-FRA without a problem by looking very very carefully to the speed tape! Didnt expect it that sensitive!?!

I will make some more testflights but for now I think this topic can be closed

Thx guys for the support anyway!

11 hours ago, Manfred Tamminga said:

Wolfgang, good hint about the "No Auto Thrust" but I am Aware of that! 🙂

Anyway the speed control might have been a good advice! I now flew some legs DUS-FRA without a problem by looking very very carefully to the speed tape! Didnt expect it that sensitive!?!

I will make some more testflights but for now I think this topic can be closed

Thx guys for the support anyway!

All good. One way to prevent this is to climb in SPD(CLB) mode, targeting 250kts below 10,000 ft and 290-320, then Mach .77 above 10,000 feet. This will keep you in a good and safe speed range. Climbing in VS mode is not prohibited, but comes with some degree of stall risk that's effectively eliminated in the RJ in SPD/CLB mode. 

Archived