Seychelles XP Mac Major FPS Issue

Hi,

I just purchased Seychelles XP, followed all installation instructions, booted up the sim and I'm getting really low FPS, even less than 1 FPS at times, which is very very unusually low for my system. I typically average around 40 FPS with Orbx TrueEarth products and add-on airports installed. I've tested this at Mahé and Bird Island so far with similar results. Weird thing is when I move the camera in certain directions my FPS goes back to what would be considered normal for my system (around 40 FPS). I've tried to tweak the world objects, draw parked aircraft, etc. with no luck. 

I was really excited for this add-on but it's currently unusable for the time being. Any ideas on a resolution?

I'm running an iMac Pro with 3 Ghz 10-core, 16 GB Vega 64 GPU, 64 GB of RAM.

Thanks,
Brandon

• Administrator

Hello Brandon,

I cannot recreate it here (with a Windows 10 PC).

I have more than 30 FPS here.

Tested on FSIA and Bird Island.

Please can you send us as a file attachement the Log file (Log.txt) from your installed X-Plane 11 folder.

Close X-Plane 11 before.

May be we can see a problem in it...

And please be sure to have the latest SAM Plugin installed. SAM is needed by the Seychelles from Maps2XPlane.

Best way is to install the SAM Plugin with the help of the SAM Suite:

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/151811-sam-suite/

Greets Heinz

On 3.10.2020 at 10:54, Heinz Flichtbeil sagte:

Hello Brandon,

I cannot recreate it here (with a Windows 10 PC).

I have more than 30 FPS here.

Tested on FSIA and Bird Island.

Please can you send us as a file attachement the Log file (Log.txt) from your installed X-Plane 11 folder.

Close X-Plane 11 before.

May be we can see a problem in it...

And please be sure to have the latest SAM Plugin installed. SAM is needed by the Seychelles from Maps2XPlane.

Best way is to install the SAM Plugin with the help of the SAM Suite:

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/151811-sam-suite/

Greets Heinz

Thank you, Heinz. Attaching my Log.txt here. This is so strange, I've never had this issue before with any other add-on scenery. I also own your Faroe Islands XP scenery and booted that up last night just to check and no issues there either. It seems to be Seychelles specific for some reason.

I do have SAM installed, it looks like I'm running version 2.0.7. I can try reinstalling with the SAM Suite you linked to and I'll report back.

Please let me know if anything looks strange in my Log.txt

Thank you!
Brandon

Log.txt

• Administrator

Hello Brandon,

ok thank you for the Log.txt.

You are using Catalina. That I cannot test here at the time... Sorry.

But There are also some mem file Errors included like:

Mem file error.  Err=22, file=/Users/brandonburkley/Desktop/X-Plane 11/

Looks like a memory problem. But I am not sure what exactly it means.

Sometimes this error comes up if you use a (Sym) Link in your Custome Scenery folder to other sceneries...

So try to deactivate this sceneries .... and test again...

One another Idea is to deinstall (delete) all own installed plugins. May be there is a problem with the Seychelles and a plugin.

I would begin with the plugin XPRealistic.

Make a backup of your Plugins befor you delete them from the plugins folder.

What you also can try is to reset the preferences of X-Plane 11:

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/153967-reset-the-x-plane-11-preferences/

Sometimes it will help if there are unclear problems......

Greets Heinz

Hi Heinz,

It seems I've narrowed this down to be an autogen issue, which seems to be terribly unoptimized with this scenery. Take a look at the attached screenshots from Bird Island, the first is with "Number of World Objects" turned off (the "Minimal" setting) and the second is with autogen turned to the "Low" setting. I typically fly with this set to "Medium" on my system with OrbxTrue Earth, Custom Airports and Cities, FlyTampa sceneries, etc. and have never had this issue. Like I said, I typically average about 30-40 FPS with my existing settings and add-ons. Have your developers actually tested this scenery on MacOS? I'm wondering if it's a Mac specific issue, as it seems that people with much less capable systems on Windows are getting way better results.

I've tried disabling plugins and the other ideas you mentioned above, but these all seem inconsequential to this issue.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Brandon

Please login to display this image.

vor 2 Stunden , bburkley sagte:

It seems I've narrowed this down to be an autogen issue, which seems to be terribly unoptimized with this scenery. Take a look at the attached screenshots from Bird Island, the first is with "Number of World Objects" turned off (the "Minimal" setting) and the second is with autogen turned to the "Low" setting [...] Have your developers actually tested this scenery on MacOS? I'm wondering if it's a Mac specific issue, as it seems that people with much less capable systems on Windows are getting way better results.

Hello Brandon,

First of all, thanks for purchasing Seychelles4XPlane and your detailed feedback.

Yes, we test on macOS – actually our development team develops and tests on various OS. And also our publisher Aerosoft tested the scenery package intensively before the release. The issue you mention is really strange, and the first performance issue report that we receive since the launch of Seychelles4XPlane.

I for example run a iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019), 3,7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB. So a far weaker system than yours, and I usually get constant ~30 fps for Seychelles4XPlane. I just started a new flight at the location shown on your screenshots:

That's the result:

And the X-Plane settings I've used:

X-Plane 11.50r3 and macOS 10.15.7. I don't have any plugins installed, except SAM.

I'm sorry, but at the moment I don't have any idea what's going on your system, maybe I've (or you've) overlooked something!? Please disable all your scenery packages except Seychelles4XPlane (can be done by replacing SCENERY_PACK with SCENERY_PACK_DISABLED in your scenery_packs.ini), and then move _all_ your plugins in a temporary folder outside the X-Plane installation. Then choose settings similar than shown above, restart X-Plane and start a new flight at Bird Island. Your powerful iMac Pro should show much better fps than my weaker standard iMac.

Greets, Matthias

4 hours ago, maps2xplane said:

Hello Brandon,

First of all, thanks for purchasing Seychelles4XPlane and your detailed feedback.

Yes, we test on macOS – actually our development team develops and tests on various OS. And also our publisher Aerosoft tested the scenery package intensively before the release. The issue you mention is really strange, and the first performance issue report that we receive since the launch of Seychelles4XPlane.

I for example run a iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019), 3,7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB. So a far weaker system than yours, and I usually get constant ~30 fps for Seychelles4XPlane. I just started a new flight at the location shown on your screenshots:

That's the result:

And the X-Plane settings I've used:

X-Plane 11.50r3 and macOS 10.15.7. I don't have any plugins installed, except SAM.

I'm sorry, but at the moment I don't have any idea what's going on your system, maybe I've (or you've) overlooked something!? Please disable all your scenery packages except Seychelles4XPlane (can be done by replacing SCENERY_PACK with SCENERY_PACK_DISABLED in your scenery_packs.ini), and then move _all_ your plugins in a temporary folder outside the X-Plane installation. Then choose settings similar than shown above, restart X-Plane and start a new flight at Bird Island. Your powerful iMac Pro should show much better fps than my weaker standard iMac.

Greets, Matthias

Thanks for the response, Matthias. I disabled all other scenery and enabled Metal again - I was using OpenGL as I was using SkyMaxx Pro, which doesn't support Metal. I'm now getting around 30 FPS with similar settings. The scenery remains unusable in OpenGL mode for me at the moment. Have you tried restarting X-Plane without Metal enabled? I'm curious if you would get similar poor FPS results that I was experiencing. Thanks for the help.

Brandon

• Administrator

Hello Brandon,

good that matthias (Maps2XPlane) is here now ....

I have tested it with OpenGL and Vulkan (on Win 10). Both was ok with min. 30 FPS. No difference.

But I don't have Skymaxx installed. I will try to test it here too...

But my MAC is too low I think and I only have Mojave installed....

May be it is an idea to test on your MAC catalina  with OpenGL ON and SkyMaxx deinstalled?

Greets Heinz

vor 3 Stunden , Heinz Flichtbeil sagte:

mathias (Maps2X-Plane)

"Matthias (Maps2XPlane)" 😉

vor 7 Stunden , bburkley sagte:

The scenery remains unusable in OpenGL mode for me at the moment. Have you tried restarting X-Plane without Metal enabled? I'm curious if you would get similar poor FPS results that I was experiencing. Thanks for the help.

Just tried with the same configuration and settings than last night, but "Use Metal driver for faster rendering" disabled, and I'm now able to reproduce your issue: a drop to ~2-3fps when I move the camera to certain angles (independent of different graphic settings). Now the strange thing: That happens only with 11.50r3 (metal disabled) and not with 11.41r1. Did Laminar Research broke something with the continuation of OpenGL support in 11.50r3, I don't know, but we'll try to clarify that?!

@Heinz Flichtbeil and @grrr05: Can you reproduce that behavior under MS Windows, when disabling Vulkan and switching to OpenGL in 11.50r3?

• Administrator

Name corrected :) Sorry.

With windows there are no problems with the Seychelles with Vulkan and with OpenGL.

My PC: Win 10, GTX 1080 8GB, i7 6700K , 32 GB RAM.

SkyMaxx and Gizmo NOT installed.

Greets heinz

4 hours ago, Heinz Flichtbeil said:

May be it is an idea to test on your MAC catalina  with OpenGL ON and SkyMaxx deinstalled?

Yes, I did try this. I pretty much disabled every plugin I had one by one through the Plugin Admin to see if I noticed any massive change in performance, but none of the plugins I have seem to be the culprit.

54 minutes ago, maps2xplane said:

Just tried with the same configuration and settings than last night, but "Use Metal driver for faster rendering" disabled, and I'm now able to reproduce your issue: a drop to ~2-3fps when I move the camera to certain angles (independent of different graphic settings). Now the strange thing: That happens only with 11.50r3 (metal disabled) and not with 11.41r1. Did Laminar Research broke something with the continuation of OpenGL support in 11.50r3, I don't know, but we'll try to clarify that?!

Very interesting, this is exactly what I was experiencing. Certain angles I rotated the camera I would get 40-50 FPS, but then it would drop to a standstill of 2 FPS with just an inch or two head movement in another direction. I've never seen massive changes in performance on my system whether I use Metal or OpenGL, and since I was getting some instability still with Metal (and because I do like to use SkyMaxx Pro), I have been using OpenGL mode. They must have broke something there in 11.50r3, please keep me posted on what you find, I would love to use this with SkyMaxx if possible, so hopefully we can get it to work again in OpenGL.

P.S. Took a quick flight last night around a few of the islands after I was able to get this working, and the scenery is fantastic! Great work, looking forward to doing a full island tour.

Thanks,

Brandon  

• 4 weeks later...

Curious if anyone found a remedy to this issue or have spoken with Laminar about a fix in the next XP update? I'm noticing a similar massive FPS drop with some other sceneries on 11.50r3 in OpenGL mode. I'd love to use these sceneries in OpenGL on Mac, and they're currently unusable.

It looks like that the issue (= X-Plane backward-support of OpenGL under macOS) is a general one, and not limited to Seychelles4XPlane (or any other of our add-ons for X-Plane). At the moment I can only recommend using Metal (running great with our add-ons, no issues were reported so far with Metal).

If you cannot switch from OpenGL to Metal due to other add-ons you've installed, I suggest to file a bug report directly to Laminar Research. The more reports from different systems and situations, and the more detailed the reports are, the better: http://dev.x-plane.com/support/bugreport.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2020 at 12:36 PM, maps2xplane said:

It looks like that the issue (= X-Plane backward-support of OpenGL under macOS) is a general one, and not limited to Seychelles4XPlane (or any other of our add-ons for X-Plane). At the moment I can only recommend using Metal (running great with our add-ons, no issues were reported so far with Metal).

If you cannot switch from OpenGL to Metal due to other add-ons you've installed, I suggest to file a bug report directly to Laminar Research. The more reports from different systems and situations, and the more detailed the reports are, the better: http://dev.x-plane.com/support/bugreport.html

Thanks, I'm going to file a report. I'm having this issue with many of the newer/updated sceneries out there that support 11.50, specifically right now for example, X-Codr KMMH and KDEN, and FlyTampa KLAS. But not on others like Icarus KSAN, Short Final KLAX, Nimbus KPHX, FlightBeam KPDX, etc. Could this be due to higher res texturing or any other newer scenery technologies used? Do you know of anything different about the sceneries I've listed out (problematic vs. non-problematic) including Seychelles, which currently is problematic?

Archived