g2d.dll CTD in A319 CFM 1.4.0.3

Ferno

Hi,

Since updating to version 1.4.0.3, I have started getting g2d.dll crashes with Exception code: 0xc0000005. The error is repeatable. I've flown the same flight from KLAS-KLAX 4 times now and the issue has occurred on 3 of the flights, with a different outcome on the 4th flight (see below). I can do pre-flight and take off, then at some stage during the climb, the error will occur.

I read that the g2d.dll controls on-screen text. I always have the Checklist with Co-Pilot and Info Bar options on. On the 4th flight, I set Info Bar to OFF to see if this was the issue. I got a DGXI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error this time, again during the climb. I doubt it was VRAM-related, as the crashes happen over desert scenery.

• I can do the same flight in the PMDG 737, with no issues.
  • I did a full reinstall of the A318/A319/A320/A321s using the latest installer last week and then moved up to v1.4.0.3
  • Running Prepar3D V5 HF 2, Chaseplane, ActiveSky P3D, SimToolkit and using Flytampa KLAS and FSDT KLAX, ORBX OLC NA.
  • Mobo: ASUS TUF Z370-Plus Gaming ATX form, CPU: Intel Coffee Lake i7-8700k, RAM: 32GB Series 5 DDR4 2666MHz CL15-15-15-35 1.20V, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 running Nvida driver 456.55
  • Windows 10.0.19041

Any suggestions please?

1 hour ago, Ferno said:

Hi,

Since updating to version 1.4.0.3, I have started getting g2d.dll crashes with Exception code: 0xc0000005. The error is repeatable. I've flown the same flight from KLAS-KLAX 4 times now and the issue has occurred on 3 of the flights, with a different outcome on the 4th flight (see below). I can do pre-flight and take off, then at some stage during the climb, the error will occur.

I read that the g2d.dll controls on-screen text. I always have the Checklist with Co-Pilot and Info Bar options on. On the 4th flight, I set Info Bar to OFF to see if this was the issue. I got a DGXI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error this time, again during the climb. I doubt it was VRAM-related, as the crashes happen over desert scenery.

• I can do the same flight in the PMDG 737, with no issues.
  • I did a full reinstall of the A318/A319/A320/A321s using the latest installer last week and then moved up to v1.4.0.3
  • Running Prepar3D V5 HF 2, Chaseplane, ActiveSky P3D, SimToolkit and using Flytampa KLAS and FSDT KLAX, ORBX OLC NA.
  • Mobo: ASUS TUF Z370-Plus Gaming ATX form, CPU: Intel Coffee Lake i7-8700k, RAM: 32GB Series 5 DDR4 2666MHz CL15-15-15-35 1.20V, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 running Nvida driver 456.55
  • Windows 10.0.19041

Any suggestions please?

Would you please try using default P3D Display and Graphics settings, repeat the flight and see if it still CTDs?

Many thanks.

@DaveCT2003  I got no CTD with default graphic settings. So then tried my own 3 IFR graphics profiles. With my IFR-EvenLowerVRAM profile, again there was no CTD. When I moved to the higher profile I've been using: IFR-LowerVRAM, the g2d.dll CTD returned. Attached are the differences between these 2 profiles. On average VRAM was 2.5 with default settings, 3 with the IFR-EvenLowerVRAM and 3.5 to 4 with the IFR-LowerVRAM.

Until version 1.4.0.3, I've been able to use the IFR-LowerVRAM profile when flying between 'heavy' sceneries e.g Latin VFR LEMD, and an even higher IFR profile for 'standard' sceneries with all my Aerosoft planes; CRJ, A319-A321 & A330. I appreciate I use a lot of add-ons and since I moved to 1.4.0.3 there has also been a Chaseplane update, GSX update and Nvidia driver update, so it could be any of those!

I can continue using the IFR-EvenLowerVRAM profile and hopefully will have no more g2d.dll issues, but it's frustrating when it's not been an issue until now, so any advice would be welcome.

Thanks for your help.

IFR-EvenLowerVRAM profile settings - no g2d.dll CTD

Please login to display this image.

IFR-LowerVRAM profile settings - consistant g2d.dll CTD

Changing over to latest Nvidia Studio Driver; 456.38, has fixed the KLAS to KLAX flight running under the IFR-LowerVRAM profile, so that's encouraging. I then decided to do a longer flight, this time using the A321 from KDFW to KSAN and again using the IFR-LowerVRAM profile. Unfortunately, about 5 minutes into the cruise the g2d.dll crash with Exception code: 0xc0000005 reoccurred.

I appreciate these issues may be just something to live with until there's a new Nvidia or Windows update. If you have more suggestions let me know? Otherwise, the IFR-EvenLowerVRAM profile is working for now.

Thank you @DaveCT2003 and @mopperle  for your help.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

Archived