FSMap wishlist.....

daytonite_andy

OK, first off congratulations to Thomas (and Aerosoft) for a great program, I'm really enjoying this.

This is just a wishlist of things that would be nice to be changed from MY point of view. I'm not implying that it would be everyones choice but here goes....

1. Aircraft Symbols

Could there be a symbol for a helicopter on the map display? Blame Peter Saltzgeber (and Aerosoft) http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/re/ibosh...gi?showd,,10421 for this fine chopper, it's all I'm flying at the moment.

2. Test display page

Could there be an option for a test display page be the automatic startup screen (after the FSMap startup screen)?

3. Gauge keyboard Assignment

Could the keys for the gauge have keyboard assignments? It would be great to push the keys using hardware switches through an interface (yes.... I'm a cockpit builder and building a bezel with switches).

4. Initial TCAS warning

Could a sound be assigned for the initial TCAS warning. Currently it only flashes a warning. An audio warning would be an idea, something like "TCAS alert" for the initial warning, then "Traffic Traffic", then "Clear of conflict." I'm so busy trying to fly I sometimes miss the fact that an A380 is bearing down on my fragile chopper :shock:

Hope these make sense and don't take this post as a list of demands :D .

Anyone else?

OK, first off congratulations to Thomas (and Aerosoft) for a great program, I'm really enjoying this.

Great to hear.

1. Aircraft Symbols

Could there be a symbol for a helicopter on the map display? Blame Peter Saltzgeber (and Aerosoft) http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/re/ibosh...gi?showd,,10421 for this fine chopper, it's all I'm flying at the moment.

The original GMX200 has one, but I failed to get an icon done that looked good. This will be added in one of the next updates. ;)

2. Test display page

Could there be an option for a test display page be the automatic startup screen (after the FSMap startup screen)?

Any special reason for this?

3. Gauge keyboard Assignment

Could the keys for the gauge have keyboard assignments? It would be great to push the keys using hardware switches through an interface (yes.... I'm a cockpit builder and building a bezel with switches).

This one is already on my list.

4. Initial TCAS warning

Could a sound be assigned for the initial TCAS warning. Currently it only flashes a warning. An audio warning would be an idea, something like "TCAS alert" for the initial warning, then "Traffic Traffic", then "Clear of conflict." I'm so busy trying to fly I sometimes miss the fact that an A380 is bearing down on my fragile chopper :shock:

This can be added. Anyone else is requesting this?

Regards

Thomas

1. Aircraft Symbols

The original GMX200 has one, but I failed to get an icon done that looked good. This will be added in one of the next updates. ;)

I'll help out if you need an icon. Just let me know the icon size and format and I'll give it a go.

2. Test display page

Could there be an option for a test display page be the automatic startup screen (after the FSMap startup screen?)

Any special reason for this?

No, just a whim. I like to test things after initial power up (like my weather radar for instance). Maybe assign a keyboard shortcut?

Thanks for the news about the future updates. Now I've read the specs of a GMX200 I want a Weather radar and TAWS integrated into FSMap as well! You only have yourself to blame :lol: :shock:

... let me add one wish ...

perhaps a (sticky?) thread with links to (calibrated?) maps for other countries ... there is already some info here, but one has to search for it ...

:D

thanks!

@Algernon

This one will be done by Aerosoft.

@daytonite_andy

TAWS is also on my list for v1.1. But the process of getting it fast enough to allow a true split screen display will take some time. I want to make sure you won't see just blocks of terrain to get it fast. ;)

Weather radar is really something I want to do, but FS doesn't offer a way to get the cloud data required to produce a true radar. Anyway there are other features in the GMX200 which are really nice for flight preparation like METAR/Weather Symbol display and this can be done with FSX (would be simulated for FS2004). But I have not yet defined what will be included with v1.1.

Regards

Thoams

How about the option to change the colour of your aircraft symbol. I find the grey colour very hard to see on some maps.

Also, would it be possible to add the ability to use your mouse to accurately reset your position while in flight. The freeware "Yet Another Moving Map" has this function. No matter how many calibration points I set, I still can't get some maps set up correctly.

Support for large font setting would be nice too.

Bill

Hi Thomas,

Basically the reset your position is a feature whereby if for instance you are in a certain position, and your map shows you in another, you can click on "enable mouse" in the menu, then you click on your true position on the map and it repositions you there.

It is only really useful if you are only slightly out of position. If you are way off, when you correct with the mouse, you will be out of position again soon.

Bill

Thomas,

Many thanks for the reply, it's nice to see plans for the future updates. Also, I was joking about TAWS and weather radar but hey, don't let me stop you developing them :lol:

boris4356, what type of maps are you trying to calibrate? I've calibrated ICAO charts quite easily by using the VOR information from FSX and they have been highly accurate.

Andrew,

The type of maps I am trying to calibrate are topographical maps. The kind that you find in a world atlas.

I had problems getting accurate calibrations in FSMM, and YAMM as well, so it is basically the type of map that is the problem I guess.

Bill

Andrew,

The type of maps I am trying to calibrate are topographical maps. The kind that you find in a world atlas.

I had problems getting accurate calibrations in FSMM, and YAMM as well, so it is basically the type of map that is the problem I guess.

Bill

Hi Bil,

Have to disagree (slightly) with you on this one. The easiest way to calibrate maps (If you don't have co-ord points) is either run Google Earth select the FS option and fly to 2 known points, get the co-ords and then calibrate your map in FSMap, they will not be far out. The other option is if you have the Google Earth DLL for either FS2004 or FSX then run both FS and Google Earth fly to the 2 points and use FS's co-ord's.

Works for me every time.

Regards,

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried using Google Earth, and various Lat/Long Conversion sites, and the Flight Sim Data Base. I have tried calibrating with just two points, and with as many as twenty.

Nothing seems to work. Sometimes one calibration point is bang on when I start from that point in FSX, but If I try from somewhere else, it varies from being slightly off to way off.

I have projection set at none for this map as it is a Bonne projection.

I am having the same problems with Lambert Conical projection type maps. The maps I have do not state the projection co-ords, so I tried them at none, and also tried them attempting to figure out the projection co-ords myself. Again with two calibration points and as many as twenty.

Something I have noticed is when FSMap is automatically setting the bottom right corner Lat/Long co-ords it is not matching what the corner co-ords are on the map.

For instance the bottom right corner Longitude in the attached screenshots is being set at 78, when it should be 79? When I add more calibration points, on the right edge, and reset the Bottom Right corner co-ords it will change to 79, but the map is still out of whack.

The Top Left Lat/Long co-ords seem to be automatically set correctly. I think?

If I enter more than two calibration points, as you know FSMap automatically sets the lat/long co-ordinates for each additional point. These never match the google database. I have tried leaving the extra automatically set points, but the map was way out of whack.

I tried changing the extra calibration points from the automatically set points, inserting the Google Earth Lat/Long co-ords, but again the map was not even close to being accurate.

What am I doing wrong? It works well with the included maps. I love this program and would really like to get it to work with my own maps.

I am using good quality maps from a Phillips Concise Canadian World Atlas.

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Andrew,

I clicked on the PM tab, and it said "Private messaging has been disabled on this board".

The map size is 2510x2986 pixels.

If there is a way, I can email it to you and see if you have better luck than I do.

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Andrew,

I sent you a couple of emails. One with the .jpg map attached, and one with the .fsm map that I calibrated attached.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bill

Could it be possible, that besides IVAO and Vatsim , other online traffic in smaller online multisessions can be shown on the map in a future iupdate ?

Joop

Thomas,

Every sunday evening I fly with 10 other pc pilots in a FS004 multisession.

One of us is de FS Host.

When I use FSNavigator I see the other airplane symbols there.

But I want to change from FSNavigator to FSMap.

It would be nice to see the others from the multisession in FSMap too,

Joop

According to the multiplayer session.

I used AIbridge ( it is for FS2002, but I changed the path for FS2004.)

I have FSUIPC 3.75

Possible AIbridge wll not work in Vista , beause it couldn't find the session..

But during the multisession last night , I didn.t saw any participants of that session on FSMap display.

For using multiplayers function in FSMap , I only found the possibility to connect to VATSIM of IVAO , but we are using our own session by an IP adress . How can I connect FSMap to an multiplayer session of our own?.

Is it not possible to create a third choice besides VATSIM and IVAO to type in a IP adress of an alternative session ?

I now can use FSMap as an moving map for my own fly movements , but

I want to make the other participants to use FSMap too. If we will see each other , Than FSmap can take the place of FSNavigator.

Joop