Cockpit repaint - Registration number and SELCAL code changes

Hi,

I would like to change only the registration number and the SELCAL code within a A320/A321 livery, is there a tutorial how to do this?

So I would only make changes within the cockpit, I do not want to touch the external graphics.

First of all, which file is to be used?

AeroSoft_PAINTKIT_MAINPNL_DXT3.psd or AIRBUSX_VC_PREPARV4_MAINPANEL_C.psd ?

I am using the leatest version of AEROSOFT PROFESSIONAL_P3DV4_V1310.exe.

Many thanks for your help in advance!

Best regards,

Dénes

Hi again,

My problem actually is that if I open the .psd file for the cockpit (AeroSoft_PAINTKIT_MAINPNL_DXT3.psd or AIRBUSX_VC_PREPARV4_MAINPANEL_C.psd), make some changes only on the registration area and than I save it and than convert it to a .dds, this is what I get.

Apparently, textures are missing, but I do not know where.

Or am I missing to activate some layers in the .psd before saving?

Since normally, the .dds files are 4-5 MB, while I only get a 2 MB file after converting from .psd to .dds!?

Any help would be really appreciated. :))

Please login to display this image.

Many thanks,

Dénes

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Denes,

I have recently updated the registration in the file AIRBUSX_VC_PREPARV4_MAINPANEL_C.psd successfully for one of may installed aircraft. You can find the Airbus paintkit here on the forum.

• First of all the updated registration should reside in a specific texture layer relevant to the aircraft model (A318,A319, A320 etc)  and engine type (CFM, IAE) within your photo editing application. There are various layers available with pre-defined registrations within the paintkit file so you want to ensure that all other registration layers are not visible.
  • 2nd you want to merge all layers in the psd file once the relevant registration is added and shown in the texture sheet.
  • 3rd you will need to convert the .psd file to .dds format using a photo editing application. I am using Corel PSP but there other freeware and payware apps available capable of this
  • Last you will need the flip the texture and any alpha layers. I usually use the freeware tool DXTBMP to do this. I saved the texture as a DXT5 DDS texture with the mipmaps turned off. This resulted in a file size of 4,097KB for the .dds file which I then copy to the texture folder of the aircraft in question.

It sounds to me that if you got as far as correctly editing the .psd file, it appears the conversion to .dds format did not go well and/or the flipping of your texture did not occur since I can see some of the panel has portions inverted which indicates you did not flip the entire texture.

My guess is you did not merge all layers in the .psd before you converted to .dds format and then flipping it. Hard to say based on a single screenshot.

If the above does not help, re-post with the list of steps you took. Someone should be better able to help then.

Regards,

Mark

Hello Mark,

Many thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it!

I am clearly missing many steps in the merging, converting and flipping process.

I might be OK with merging and converting however, but flipping is something new to me. :))

I will nevertheless try the steps you wrote above and hopefully I will succeed.

In any case, is there perhaps a step-by-step guide for the entire process?

It would defintely help a lot.

Thanks and regards,
Dénes

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dênes,

Try these...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRVibeWe91w

and this..

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/20393-Painting-FSX-planes

Re flipping the image, this is only need if you are converting a .BMP texture file to .DDS (which I do )

In the video the flipping is done by rotating 180 degrees in the photoediting app but you can also flip vertically directly in DXTBMP just as well. Either way will work.

Note: the principles apply the same to P3D as they do for FSX.

Post back here if you are still having issues.

Regards
Mark

Archived