Are any of you ever downgrading?

pellelil

Every time I have released a new version I have noticed that there are still a few download of the old one. In this case I that estimate version 1.16 have been downloaded 10-20 times since version 1.17 was released. I am guessing that most of these are people who have just come across the version 1.16 and downloading it, not knowing there is a version 1.17. Also I can be someone who want do have some of the older flightplans, that were made obsolete (hence not included) in version 1.17.

Anyway I would like to hear if any of you ever have been downgrading to a previous version and if that is the case, why?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Pelle,

I guess it comes from the explanation!

Version 1.16 is a mandatory version that you must install and run prior to installing version 1.17.

On 16.9.2020 at 07:41, pellelil sagte:

In this case I that estimate version 1.16 have been downloaded 10-20 times since version 1.17 was released. I am guessing that most of these are people who have just come across the version 1.16 and downloading it, not knowing there is a version 1.17.

Saying a version must be first downloaded and installed before the new version will force new users to download both versions.

Thomas

Good catch 🙂 You are true.

But I have seen it in the past also, so I just wanted to hear if there were something "bad" in the new versions that made users "downgrade" to previous versions. Anyhow the program is not build to allow for a downgrade. In some cases you can downgrade to a previous version without any issues. But there is no guarantee that its possible. In most cases (except for these mandatory versions) newer versions of the program are able to read old file-formats of the various data-files, however older versions are in many cases not able to read data-files using a newer file-format.

Hello,

Glad I found it  🙂

By the way. I always make an extra maintenance program in my applications that does this comparison.

It takes a little longer, but I have full control over my application.
-> the application itself do a check whether xyz is already available in Version xx
     Yes: Nothing to do
     No:  Run maintenance file.

This way user will not have Installations with old versions never use.

Cheers

Thomas D

Archived