Aerosoft Aircraft: Twin Otter

Mathijs Kok

On 10/21/2021 at 10:01 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

Got a question to you all.

See this yellow arc? See that the right dial does not have it?

In internal discussion we are discussing if we should leave it as it is or change it.

See this is how it looks in the the aircraft we took as reference:

So the real aircraft has it. Just goes to show that an old aircraft always has its own character, has always some strange things. So I like it, but I can also understand that many customers will feel it is a bug, showing bad quality control etc.  There is more of this visible, for instance the way the gauge lights are almost all a little bit bit off. Not pointed the right way. Look at the one between the PROP RPM and the one between GG RPM.  The top one is knock out of alignment sometime in it life.  And so Anne modeled it exactly that way. 

What's your idea on this?

I like this. To me, this adds authenticity, and therefore immersion.

It is very likely that during the long service of some of these aircraft, that they would need to have components replaced which would therefore not be a 100% match to the original.

I really prefer the planes which are modelled after real-life planes, including the difficulties/mistakes. It really shows the level of detail and commitment you put into making this plane.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/20/2021 at 12:52 AM, taw1962 said:

Yes I also see that in the Security tab, but in the Compatibility tab "Run this program as an administrator" is unchecked as it should be to use the Marketplace properly.

would have been nice if it was but unfortunately not checked -thanks for your suggestion though -cheers 

• Root Admin
5 hours ago, Lunatic104 said:

If you are aiming for realism, then the age of the gauge is important, however you need to include the other quirks, such as the orange zones on the oil gauges, where you have gone for a newer yellow.  If you go for all quirks it will make more sense, rather than picking and choosing which then looks like bugs.

So not model an actual aircraft? How much more realistic would that be?

• Upvote 1

I think he is saying if you want to leave the quirky gauge then you should leave the other quirky oil gauges. If you look at your render oil gauges vs the real photo you will see that the two oil gauges on the left use the old style thin orange caution area where as your render shows the newer thicker yellow zones on the top right of each gauge. *Edit, the new gauges use a thicker consistent yellow band. The older gauges use a thinner yellow orange band and the green starts thin and tapers out to a thicker green band at the bottom of the gauge. Both types of gauges are used and a lot of time they come from the *distributer* in the same shipment. You can order 4 gauges and one of them will be the old style. Not sure they still make the old style but a lot of them still floating around.

Personally I dont really mind either way. Any of these gauge layout are realistic and could appear in an actual airplane so it's not really that big of a deal to me and I wouldnt spend a huge amount of time trying to figure out what is the best way to satisfy everyone because you wont be able to. If you made a stock brand new plane someone would complain that the gauges in the one they flew were different. If you model one after a used plane then people are going to complain about the gauges not being stock. Just include a picture of the plane you used in the manual and say "in game gauges are based on reference plane but not 100% recreation." and be done with it.

What you have right now is amazing and beautiful and I think nearly everyone would be happy with whatever you decide to go with.

You have a day one sale from me and I would assume a lot more people as well. Quality and wonderful work! Thank you!

• Upvote 3

For me, as long as we have the "GTN 750" as an option -- as the more recent 3rd Party GAs do -- I wouldn't care if most of the gauges are missing !

But please give us a clean-ish windows option, also.

In FSX/P3D the scratched perspex was not great ALL the time..  and in MSFS we need the option of enjoying the scenery from the cockpit.

Just my 2-cents 😁👍

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Masterjts said:

I think he is saying if you want to leave the quirky gauge then you should leave the other quirky oil gauges. If you look at your render oil gauges vs the real photo you will see that the two oil gauges on the left use the old style thin orange caution area where as your render shows the newer thicker yellow zones on the top right of each gauge. *Edit, the new gauges use a thicker consistent yellow band. The older gauges use a thinner yellow orange band and the green starts thin and tapers out to a thicker green band at the bottom of the gauge. Both types of gauges are used and a lot of time they come from the *distributer* in the same shipment. You can order 4 gauges and one of them will be the old style. Not sure they still make the old style but a lot of them still floating around.

This.

You specifically stated yourself that some may see this as a bug.  My opinion is that you are correct, some will, however if it's made obvious that the gauges are all of a different era due to  replacement on failure, then people will note that it's not a bug.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 7:20 AM, Delpat said:

Hello, do we have a release date, now that the patch is SU6 is out?

Aerosoft is still making decisions about how the gauges are going to be modelled so you probably shouldn’t hold your breath yet!

34 minutes ago, John2 said:

Aerosoft is still making decisions about how the gauges are going to be modelled so you probably shouldn’t hold your breath yet!

31 minutes ago, JasonmCork said:

Id have thought that would have been done before Beta?

I'd assume changing the gauge isn't a massive delay so things like this can be changed in beta

• Upvote 1

• Deputy Sheriffs
1 hour ago, EasternT3 said:

I'd assume changing the gauge isn't a massive delay so things like this can be changed in beta

Correct. The discussion started between the beta testers for this one gauge, could be easily changed, and will not influence the release date.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Eric Bakker said:

Correct. The discussion started between the beta testers for this one gauge, could be easily changed, and will not influence the release date.

I am delighted to hear that there is a release date. Even if you will not tell us what it is!

Is there an option to have 1 model with the different engine gauges and one with both gauges being the same? I wouldn't care which way you went if you have to pick just one though. Knowing it's realistic to have 2 different gauges would make it perfectly fine if that's how you left it. 

• Upvote 1

I think the gauge thing is being over thought. As many have pointed out, aircraft of this generation will have a mix and match. So your aircraft is accurate. What’s the old saying, “you can please some of the people, some of the time.”

Either gauge is fine, either gauge (or a mixture of both) is accurate. 👍

• Like 2

On 10/21/2021 at 11:01 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

Got a question to you all.

See this yellow arc? See that the right dial does not have it?

image.png

In internal discussion we are discussing if we should leave it as it is or change it.

See this is how it looks in the the aircraft we took as reference:

image.png

So the real aircraft has it. Just goes to show that an old aircraft always has its own character, has always some strange things. So I like it, but I can also understand that many customers will feel it is a bug, showing bad quality control etc.  There is more of this visible, for instance the way the gauge lights are almost all a little bit bit off. Not pointed the right way. Look at the one between the PROP RPM and the one between GG RPM.  The top one is knock out of alignment sometime in it life.  And so Anne modeled it exactly that way. 

What's your idea on this?

IMO keep as real as it should be always. Manual and FAQs can solve any doubt.

I vote leave it in, shows the wear of an old aircraft, albeit some twotters might have a yellow arc and a lot actually have no yellow arc at all. having one gauge with an arc and one without is the best of both worlds ;) 

• Like 1

Will the Otter have GTN 750 GPS compatibility by PMS50? Be nice if it did as other airplane addon companies are now making this happen. If already asked apologies, but couldn't be bothered to sift through 51 pages of this thread to find out.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

• Aerosoft
2 hours ago, Goulash said:

Will the Otter have GTN 750 GPS compatibility by PMS50? Be nice if it did as other airplane addon companies are now making this happen. If already asked apologies, but couldn't be bothered to sift through 51 pages of this thread to find out.

You know there is a search box on top of this page, where you can search in this topic? ;) 

That search came up with this post as first result:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5