Aerosoft Aircraft: Twin Otter

Mathijs Kok

2 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

But keep in mind, we do not model that one.

Btw not much news to tell you or to show you. The only modeling still to do is the icing (but that is a serious bit of work) so apart from Stefan the other modelers are all moved to the A330 project. The Twin Otter 300 flight model is 'complete' but the 100 still needs some tweaking. Hans is working hard on the systems, gauges, sounds and checklist (we use the build-in for this project). So all in all things are moving along nicely, fully on schedule.

Any news on the CRJ 900/1000 and updates on 550/700? Thats the ones I’ve been waiting for ;)

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

vor 2 Stunden , TheGreatestDonut sagte:

Im soo sorry :( ive been on a plane with glass cocktpit in the maldives

Here you can catch a glimpse in a video. I just love the way the landing gear flexes... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, mopperle said:

A good reason could be that it is hard to get spare parts for the old steam gauges. But this is another story and getting OT now. ;)

My friend, I'd be willing to send you some simulated parts at a reasonable price. Problem solved.

• Deputy Sheriffs
1 hour ago, Игорь Крутских said:

when does this schedule end? )))

Sorry, but please see that comes off as just another way to ask for a release date. As the topic header notes, "Please do not ask for release dates because if we can say we would have posted it here and if we do not know we can't say. Any dates that are given should be seen as indications and not promises."

47 minutes ago, Heiligs Blechle said:

On the other hand, you could ask developers not to talk about "on  schedule" if they don't want to communicate what that means 😉

I would agree with that statement, if that was the only information we had. But, if you look closely, you can find very detailed information about the state of the project in this thread. Just look at the last post by Mathijs again, it details where the project is at and what the team members are currently working on.

They might not be telling us when we're going to land, but at least we get an idea which direction we're flying and what speed we're at.

(Fun story: I applied for the beta test and didn't get a response, and now I'm torn between hoping that the beta test hasn't started yet, because I might still receive an invitation to join, and hoping that it has started without me, because that would mean we're closing in on the release date.)

vor 31 Minuten, aurel42 sagte:

I would agree with that statement, if that was the only information we had. But, if you look closely, you can find very detailed information about the state of the project in this thread. Just look at the last post by Mathijs again, it details where the project is at and what the team members are currently working on.

They might not be telling us when we're going to land, but at least we get an idea which direction we're flying and what speed we're at.

(Fun story: I applied for the beta test and didn't get a response, and now I'm torn between hoping that the beta test hasn't started yet, because I might still receive an invitation to join, and hoping that it has started without me, because that would mean we're closing in on the release date.)

Just be patience, as this is the only thing we can do right now :)

And keep in mind, that the FlightSimExpo 2021 is this weekend.

Even if Aerosoft is not attending in person and is not listed as an exhibitor, they are still listed as a sponsor.

This could mean, that we could expect something like a small trailer or advertisment. 

Many developers will use this occasion to showcase their (opcoming) products to promote them.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

You all assume that mu schedule actually has dates in it... lol.

Possibly because that's literally the meaning of the word "schedule" according to most dictionaries? (e.g. in the Cambridge Dictionary: "a list of planned activities or things to be done showing the times or dates when they are intended to happen or be done") 

I guess we're talking about a schedule in the context of project management software then, which would probably work with arbitrary "currencies" (like person-hours), idk, I haven't used that kind of software in decades... in this context, I'm just a "resource".

But then, what does being "fully on schedule" (quoting Mathijs) actually mean? If a project timeline is set up without dates, the only meaning I can think of is "a project is executed in a way that no resource is idle because it has to wait for dependencies". Which, in itself, is a feat.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, aurel42 said:

Possibly because that's literally the meaning of the word "schedule" according to most dictionaries? (e.g. in the Cambridge Dictionary: "a list of planned activities or things to be done showing the times or dates when they are intended to happen or be done") 

I guess we're talking about a schedule in the context of project management software then, which would probably work with arbitrary "currencies" (like person-hours), idk, I haven't used that kind of software in decades... in this context, I'm just a "resource".

But then, what does being "fully on schedule" (quoting Mathijs) actually mean? If a project timeline is set up without dates, the only meaning I can think of is "a project is executed in a way that no resource is idle because it has to wait for dependencies". Which, in itself, is a feat.

I think that you missed the LOL in his message - i.e. Mathijs was using sarcasm or humor in his response which I think you may have missed. Relax, it will be here soon.

2 hours ago, John2 said:

I think that you missed the LOL in his message - i.e. Mathijs was using sarcasm or humor in his response which I think you may have missed. Relax, it will be here soon.

To quote the immortal words of The Joker: "If you have to explain a joke, there is no joke."

Also, I am completely relaxed. Check my other posts in this thread, if you doubt that. Just making conversation while we're waiting for more information, and keeping the thread alive. Also, if Mathijs felt like elaborating in a response to my post, I might actually learn a lesson about project management that "my" project managers have not learned yet, because, as a "resource", I'm constantly baffled by the fact that arbitrary deadlines and projected launch dates are never anywhere close to realistic.

• Downvote 2

The Otter seems like a great aircraft, but what concerns me the most is whether it will receive appropriate support and fixes from Aerosoft. It's unclear so far if Aerosoft wants to be seen as a "Carenado" type developer with a fire-and-forget approach to aircrafts, or wants to be something more.

The CRJ has been average in that regard. Numerous bugs have been reported, some that affect each and every flight (such as the TOD calculation being messed up), with no sign of fixes. 

If those bugs DO get fixed, then sure I'll buy the Otter and future Aerosoft planes. If not, no.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Root Admin
3 minutes ago, eag_a said:

The Otter seems like a great aircraft, but what concerns me the most is whether it will receive appropriate support and fixes from Aerosoft. It's unclear so far if Aerosoft wants to be seen as a "Carenado" type developer with a fire-and-forget approach to aircrafts, or wants to be something more.

The CRJ has been average in that regard. Numerous bugs have been reported, some that affect each and every flight (such as the TOD calculation being messed up), with no sign of fixes. 

If those bugs DO get fixed, then sure I'll buy the Otter and future Aerosoft planes. If not, no.

These updates are far from simple, but if you look at other projects, like the Airbusses you see a very different side. We have done over 100 updates for that project (and that is only the 64 bit P3D version!) and one is currently being tested. The MSFS CRJ has received 9 updates and indeed need one at this moment. 

• Like 2