Aerosoft Aircraft: Twin Otter

Mathijs Kok

On 8/30/2021 at 6:56 PM, aurel42 said:

For the past two decades (maybe longer), cinematic prop animations were mandatory in flightsims. You can not turn them off.
I am complaining because the wagon wheel effect kills my immersion. Make cinematic prop animations optional.

I want to be able to turn them off, just like I can turn off lens flares.

I want my props to look like they look in the real world, not how they look like in the movies.

On the topic of propellers, I like the way the Hype Performance Group guys did their H145 rotor blades; they slowly transition and there's no "step"-iness to it. Mathijs, I hope you can see what I was referring to a few weeks ago when I was talking about eliminating the 1-2-3 blur steps during the engine start:

Yes I know there's the wagonwheel effect, but this one is much easier to swallow without the discreet blur steps which kills immersion.

EDIT: Attached is the same thing, but from a different view:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Root Admin

Sorry guys, was on a short break.

I have no news on the release date, while we do have an idea I need more complete code to make a fair estimate. What I can say is that is it not very soon as the information to the beta team is only being send out this week (almost all that have applied were accepted btw).

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Sorry guys, was on a short break.

I have no news on the release date, while we do have an idea I need more complete code to make a fair estimate. What I can say is that is it not very soon as the information to the beta team is only being send out this week (almost all that have applied were accepted btw).

Welcome back then :) I noticed the forum was a little bit more quiet than usual LOL

• Upvote 1

• Root Admin
On 9/10/2021 at 4:55 PM, John2 said:

Is this project in the beta testing phase now? Is there a need for more beta testers?

John

I have a few places open, drop me a mail at mathijs.kok@aerosoft.com. If you get a reply, you are in, if not your are out.

Looking forward to the date I can fly this bird. I got my Hawaiian shirt and Caribbean music ready😅 Going to spend so much time island hoping in tropical areas with this plane, now all that’s needed is some tropical airports and other locations.

Quick question I had was, how difficult would you say it is to operate this plane? Like is it on par with the CRJ or easier?

Hi @WinterHuntsman,

I do not have the CRJ, but I flew the Twin Otter very extensively (it was even my first Payware Aircraft) in FSX. Although I did not touch FSX for a few years, I remember it to be very easy to startup and operate. It flies beautifully and very forgiving.

Then it gets as difficult as you want. It had a GPS if you wanted, so it was very easy to navigate. But you could also navigate just based on NDBs, VORs and DMEs (one of the built in Bendix King Units had a DME IIRC).

Flying? Very easy and very forgiving. I think people also call it a STOL (Short Take Off and Landing) plane. You can do some crazy short take offs and approaches with this thing and since it is a Turbo Prop with "reversers", you can do some insane steep approaches and super short landings with it in terrain you would only touch with a Cub otherwise (found a nice example here at around 12:08

Of all the planes I flew in my MSFS days, the Twin Otter for me was by far my favourite. It is slow, yes. But if you are into Bush flying and shorter, scenic trips, this thing is fantastic.

If I interpreted this thread correctly, like in the FSX Version, we will get all kind of variations (Floats, Wheels, Tundra Wheels, Skis, Passenger, Cargo, Skydiver...) of the plane, so it should be a fantastic and very versatile package.

This is all from my experience of the FSX Version, I did NOT fly the MSFS version, so look out for reviews when it is out. But I expect that they nailed it again and this hopefully will become my favourite MSFS plane 🙂

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Looking good, can't wait for this. On the floats version, will the water rudders actually work to steer the aircraft on the water? Currently default aircraft and float mods for default aircraft don't allow you to steer in the water making water taxiing useless and impossible. Hopefully you've found a work-around for the twotter?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• Deputy Sheriffs
5 hours ago, Mewt said:

@Mathijs Kok emailed in the small hope there are any beta slots left.

1 hour ago, riskas123 said:

Same, haven't gotten anything though...

Depends on how busy he is, so no need for further follow up emails.  If you're "In," you'll get an email, if not, you won't. From Mathijs' invitation:

On 9/11/2021 at 9:17 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

I have a few places open, drop me a mail at mathijs.kok@aerosoft.com. If you get a reply, you are in, if not your are out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Herman said:

Depends on how busy he is, so no need for further follow up emails.  If you're "In," you'll get an email, if not, you won't. From Mathijs' invitation:

Yes, I've read that and I realize that everyone can't reply to an email within a cupple of days. I just thought I'd let Mewt know that I'd done it before him and not gotten anyrhing so it might take a while :)

• Like 2

On 9/12/2021 at 7:27 AM, FSHomeCockpit said:

Looking good, can't wait for this. On the floats version, will the water rudders actually work to steer the aircraft on the water? Currently default aircraft and float mods for default aircraft don't allow you to steer in the water making water taxiing useless and impossible. Hopefully you've found a work-around for the twotter?

Is the no response to this question an indication we won't be able to steer the floats version on water?

On 9/17/2021 at 4:43 PM, Mort_the_2nd said:

No, it's an indication they haven't answered your question :)

It's also not a promising sign that they keep ignoring the question while answering everyone else's questions, it's a simple yes or no answer. Hopefully they say something!