Aerosoft Aircraft: Twin Otter

Mathijs Kok

On 2.8.2021 at 14:37, Eric Bakker sagte:

Hi Stefan,

If you (would) have a throttle with two engine levers (a separate throttle set besides your yoke or joystick) you will not have this problem. ;)

But of course we are not all that lucky.

Hi Eric,

Ok, that is good news since I have actually 6 different engine levers. However, I don't understand how this would solve the problem of having exactly the same engine readings. For example, when the power levers are at the idle detent, it will make no difference how many levers one has, the engine readings will exactly be the same for engine 1 and 2, right?

Kind regards,
Stefan

Not sure I like the teasing of images and videos!!! Ha Ha.

Just makes me want it even more, if that is at all possible.

Looks to be progressing very well. As somebody has already mentioned, definitely an instant purchase for me.

I love the fact that I can come onto this forum and the people that are providing these high level products to us are interacting and being honest with us.

Sheer class, cant wait. 

Ross.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Loads of images today as some parts of the project are completed.cargoCabin_07.JPG

cargoCabin_08.JPG

cargoCabin_09.JPG

cargoCabin_10.JPG

cargoCabin_11.JPG

cargoCabin_12.JPG

shortnose_01.jpg

shortnose_02.jpg

shortnose_03.jpg

shortnose_04.jpg

shortnose_05.jpgshortnose_06.jpg

shortnose_07.jpg

shortnose_08.jpg

shortnose_09.jpg

shortnose_10.jpg

So beautiful! 

Would you say SU5 complicates development for this project, or doesnt it matter so much as we know there will probably be plenty more updates for MSFS until it is released? 

• Root Admin
17 minutes ago, janjoensson said:

So beautiful! 

Would you say SU5 complicates development for this project, or doesnt it matter so much as we know there will probably be plenty more updates for MSFS until it is released? 

I am sorry, can't comment on that right now. Does not make things easier however.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Loads of images today as some parts of the project are completed.cargoCabin_07.JPG

cargoCabin_08.JPG

cargoCabin_09.JPG

cargoCabin_10.JPG

cargoCabin_11.JPG

cargoCabin_12.JPG

shortnose_01.jpg

shortnose_02.jpg

shortnose_03.jpg

shortnose_04.jpg

shortnose_05.jpgshortnose_06.jpg

shortnose_07.jpg

shortnose_08.jpg

shortnose_09.jpg

shortnose_10.jpg

Beautiful work. Also, does the plane float over the water in the last couple of pics?

Hello,

Thanks for sharing these amazing pictures with us. I really can’t wait to fly in and out of Lukla with the Twotter.

I‘m following this thread very carefully together with some others and I know, that this question has been raised up nearly daily and I‘m sorry for asking this, so I try to formulate this in a different way.

With the just announced delay of the CRJ 900/1000 and the problems of SU5 in mind I‘m wondering, if the timeline has been mixed up. 
I‘m not asking for a specific date I just would like to know, if the Twotter will still be released after the CRJ or if the release is still aimed to be after the CRJ as it was announced some months earlier.

• Deputy Sheriffs
6 hours ago, Albatros1 said:

Hi Eric,

Ok, that is good news since I have actually 6 different engine levers. However, I don't understand how this would solve the problem of having exactly the same engine readings. For example, when the power levers are at the idle detent, it will make no difference how many levers one has, the engine readings will exactly be the same for engine 1 and 2, right?

Kind regards,
Stefan

Hi Stefan,

For idle, I am not sure how precise your throttle set is (it depends on the manufacturer and the age of your set), but once you move the levers it should be very difficult to match the rpm for both engines all the time, like in real life.

Kind regards,

Eric

On 8/4/2021 at 4:03 PM, Eric Bakker said:

For idle, I am not sure how precise your throttle set is (it depends on the manufacturer and the age of your set), but once you move the levers it should be very difficult to match the rpm for both engines all the time, like in real life.

Sorry for jumping into the conversation, but I don't feel you're taking the feature request by Stefan (Albatros1) seriously, or maybe you didn't understand it. I'm not gonna entertain the implied argument that we should use controllers with bad potentiometers to simulate engine readings that "feel more real" by having slightly offset input values.

Stefan, while it would certainly be more immersive to have readings that give the impression of having two individual power plants with slightly different properties by fudging the numbers, I believe we'll have to wait for A2A to release multi-engine aircraft with AccuSim to get that extra bit of immersion -- and have it actually be meaningful, since AccuSim achieves the result we're looking for without fudging, instead they use "deeper" or more detailed simulation of the engine than provided by the core sim, at least that's my understanding.

Perhaps PMDG does something similar based on accumulated engine stress time in their DC-6, I can't say yet as I only have a couple of hours in the model.

And, yes, that extra immersion comes at a price.

Anyway, here are my top three reasons why I feel it's unlikely that this feature can happen:

• It seems we're way too far in the development cycle to add a feature like this (unless it has already been planned for). 
  • The feature depends on certain other features as a foundation: for example, if we don't want the individual engine characteristics or idiosyncrasies to be re-rolled (ie. randomized) for each flight, the aircraft would have to hold a persistent state. I don't know if the Twotter does, but this is just an example to illustrate that a "simple" feature like this might be harder to implement properly than one might think at first glance.
  • Because we've always done it that way. We've always had (with very few exceptions that I'm aware of) identical engines behaving in a perfectly deterministic way. We don't fudge numbers, we simulate. The overwhelming majority of customers are used to and expect this behaviour. If the needles don't overlap perfectly, customers will be confused, they will mistake this feature for a bug and they will open support tickets. (Incidentally, I believe this is also why we're not gonna get realistic prop animations any time soon, because most customers are used to and expect "cinematic" prop animations with a wagon-wheel effect, no matter how much this breaks immersion for some customers.)

I'm totally ready to be surprised by the Twotter for MFS!

But I don't want to be disappointed, so I'm gonna manage my expectations and I'm gonna assume it will be just as advanced (but not more) as it's predecessor. I'm happy to give Aerosoft my money for a product like that. Everything beyond that would be the cherry on top.

• Like 3

vor 2 Stunden , aurel42 sagte:

I'm totally ready to be surprised by the Twotter for MFS!

But I don't want to be disappointed, so I'm gonna manage my expectations and I'm gonna assume it will be just as advanced (but not more) as it's predecessor. I'm happy to give Aerosoft my money for a product like that. Everything beyond that would be the cherry on top.

Hi! Your assumptions make a lot of sense. I was not aware that there is an engine model provided by the core sim. Then, I understand why it would be a lot of effort to have dissimilar engines.

Nevertheless, I am also very much looking forward to flying this plane!

Hi, This looks so interesting, cant wait to get it in MSFS2020. I remember flying in this so many times in Nepal when I was a kid, so many memories!! Our little ears used to ache so much. Great Job

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sonosusto said:

Right on. It will be great to add another plane to my already-full hangar.  :)

I'm jealous. I'm kinda picky when it comes to purchasing aircraft, so I'm stuck with three default planes I kinda like (enhanced with mods) and two 3rd-party add-ons (Arrow and DC-6). The Twotter will be a welcome addition, not only because it's an old friend from FSX/P3D times, but also because it is quite distinct from everything I'm currently flying.

• Like 1