• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, I fully agree with that.    Here are images of a test Jae Eon done today on the materials. Note how the surfaces are not fully flat, should work really well with the lighting engine. 

So, after a very busy period it is now the time of football and warm summer evenings. That means things for us slow down a bit (you have no idea how much these things affect our sales, give us a rainy

Posted Images

• Root Admin

As I am not willing to show the level of detail we are using, so it is a bit of a small image, but still. This work is done by our latest modeler, Jae, and it is seriously good. Early next year we'll be ready to show the amount of detail like we did for the CRJ.

detail_decal.jpg

• Like 9

When I upgraded to FS2002, I eventually came across a freeware Twin Otter done by Eric Dantes and Mauricio Illanes. It was stunning. The performance and sounds were amazing.

My focus shifted immediately to short hops and bush flights. I've never looked back.

I was hooked. Every subsequent sim version since was bought with the express purpose of flying a Twotter in. I thank you.

• Root Admin
6 hours ago, Cmacker said:

When I upgraded to FS2002, I eventually came across a freeware Twin Otter done by Eric Dantes and Mauricio Illanes. It was stunning. The performance and sounds were amazing.

My focus shifted immediately to short hops and bush flights. I've never looked back.

I was hooked. Every subsequent sim version since was bought with the express purpose of flying a Twotter in. I thank you.

You are not alone. These short range aircraft always get the highest sales numbers.  The A330's and 777 get the big attention, but not the most customers.

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

You are not alone. These short range aircraft always get the highest sales numbers.  The A330's and 777 get the big attention, but not the most customers.

That's intertesting to read - always thought it's the other way round! Love the modelling showed above!

• Like 1
On 11/25/2020 at 12:49 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

As I am not willing to show the level of detail we are using, so it is a bit of a small image (...)

These images are gigantic and amazing. You are far too nice to us lowly customers, Mathijs 💕

On 11/27/2020 at 6:48 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

I think that makes perfect sense.  I'd guess most flight simmers, especially those in school, or with real jobs, don't have hours for a flight.  My guess is most people make 1.0 to 1.5 hour hops on average.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hello Aerosoft Community :)

I am Anne and I am one of the modelers of the MFS Twin Otter project. I am responsible for the interior of the aircraft. My colleague Jae Eon works on the exterior.

In this project we must make some choices and we would like your ideas on them. When they come up, I will post here and hope you will be so kind to share your ideas.

The first one is the age-old question on having a 3d co-pilot in the cockpit. I understand that in previous simulators this was hard to do as it was hard to get a 3d human at the same resolution as the cockpit was. But in MFS things are different and as long as the hardware can handle it, we could add as much detail as needed.

So today I have been experimenting with a model - his name is Guenter. The result can you see on the images. But please note this is a very rough import - only drag and drop.

Before you comment on the images, read the text below them.

manInPlane_02.PNGmanshoot2.PNG

manshoot.PNGmanFace.PNG

manFace2.PNGmanshoot3.PNG

manEye.jpg

Especially important for this project is that it is NOT directly intended at the current P3D pilots that are active here. This will be a pretty solid product, certainly on par with the current version that has been selling very (really very) well over the last 8 years. But with this product we really want to reach out the new simmers and we will make sure it works as well on PC as on the new X-Box.

The question is whether a normal player would accept the empty seat next to him, as he knows that planes are generally flown by two people. Simmers seem to have got used to this fact - I haven't had years of experience with simulation now, but at least it looks that way to me. If not: I am open to all kinds of opinions on this topic. Perhaps it will turn out that there has always been a secret wish that no one has ever been able to fulfill ...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Hello, just reposting my comment from the other thread:

I’ll chime in with my thoughts: I like the idea of a second person in the cockpit too. However, I typically find that such models can be especially unnerving if they just sit there with a blank stare (um, hello? is anyone home?)

I think it would be AWESOME if they actually had a bit of life to them, reacting to certain flight phases, jostling with g forces, occasionally panning their head around. Maybe writing something on a clipboard when above 1,000’AGL, or when on the ground with the engines off. Maybe if you use keyboard commands to lower/raise flaps and gear, this character would reach over and actuate the lever. 

Things like this can add life to the flight deck. Otherwise, I think it would be moderately disturbing to transport a lifeless body around.

3 minutes ago, Anne Ludwig said:

Especially important for this project is that it is NOT directly intended at the current P3D pilots that are active here. This will be a pretty solid product, certainly on par with the current version that has been selling very (really very) well over the last 8 years. But with this product we really want to reach out the new simmers and we will make sure it works as well on PC as on the new X-Box.

The question is whether a normal player would accept the empty seat next to him, as he knows that planes are generally flown by two people. Simmers seem to have got used to this fact - I haven't had years of experience with simulation now, but at least it looks that way to me. If not: I am open to all kinds of opinions on this topic. Perhaps it will turn out that there has always been a secret wish that no one has ever been able to fulfill ...

I can offer the insight of a gaming journalist who has served "normal players" for 20 years now (and who is working quite hard to spread the word on the hobby among them). 

While I personally think having a modeled copilot is a nice idea, and I certainly wouldn't be against it (but I would not consider it a priority) I can tell you with zero doubts that the number of "normal players" outside of core simmers who would even notice that the copilot is not modeled is likely absolutely negligible. I would be surprised to hear that many outside of aviation enthusiasts even actively think about the fact that aircraft are flown by two people. 

That being said, I'd at least make the modeled copilot optional, so that people who don't care can remove him and get some more performance out of the sim. I know a lot of people who have tweaked their settings very finely to get around 30 fps, and a detailed human model in the cockpit might upset that.

PS: Guenter looks pretty nice 😁

Personally, I find these copilot models a little creepy and I always remove them if possible. I think it's best if you can see the pilots from the outside view but have them go away when you are in the cockpit.

• Root Admin
2 minutes ago, John2 said:

Personally, I find these copilot models a little creepy and I always remove them if possible. I think it's best if you can see the pilots from the outside view but have them go away when you are in the cockpit.

Well, for sure this is optional. Personally I find an empty seat more disturbing because as we all know taking off or landing like that will result in you license being removed. I never understood why people bother so much about wingflapping and not about the massive issue next to you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Root Admin

I do agree with some people that Guenter needs some tweaks. He does look like a serial killer on the loose.

The name Guenter is not chosen by accident btw.  I name all the humans in my projects after people inside Aerosoft. I did "Winfried" (looked like a sock puppet) and "Frank"  The next one will be Marius. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

He'll need shorts and flip flops for Trans Maldivian Airlines!!! (flying with these was one of the best experiences I've ever had!).

I think given the option, I would turn him off, but I'm really pleased to see this project coming to MSFS either way!

• Deputy Sheriffs
vor 14 Minuten, Abriael sagte:

I can offer the insight of a gaming journalist who has served "normal players" for 20 years now (and who is working quite hard to spread the word on the hobby among them). 

While I personally think having a modeled copilot is a nice idea, and I certainly wouldn't be against it (but I would not consider it a priority) I can tell you with zero doubts that the number of "normal players" outside of core simmers who would even notice that the copilot is not modeled is likely absolutely negligible. I would be surprised to hear that many outside of aviation enthusiasts even actively think about the fact that aircraft are flown by two people. 

That being said, I'd at least make the modeled copilot optional, so that people who don't care can remove him and get some more performance out of the sim. I know a lot of people who have tweaked their settings very finely to get around 30 fps, and a detailed human model in the cockpit might upset that.

PS: Guenter looks pretty nice 😁

So do you mean that the target group that is interested in a co-pilot is very small ...

But couldn't that change with the new sim and a possible release on the new X-Box generation?

11 minutes ago, Anne Ludwig said:

So do you mean that the target group that is interested in a co-pilot is very small ...

But couldn't that change with the new sim and a possible release on the new X-Box generation?

I was exactly talking about people who would pick up the sim as their first sim and/or on Xbox. I'm fairly sure the lack of a co-pilot would likely bother more people who are experienced with aviation and sims. On the other hand, I almost entirely guarantee that most first-timers likely won't notice either way and will spend 90% of the time in external views. I know this isn't the most positive feedback for someone working on the interior, but that's just how it works in other sim-like games that are already popular on consoles (racing sims, for instance), and the pretty scenery doesn't help. 

The presence of a modeled co-pilot is likely more helpful to enhance the immersion for those who will play with the upcoming VR support. 

• Thanks 1

I guess I personally am ambivalent on the copilot. I’ve seen some implemented better than others but I seem to notice the copilot more when viewing the cockpit from an external view. When in the cockpit, I’m more focused on instruments and looking outside. Optional for me works. 

• Thanks 1
  • Mathijs Kok changed the title to Aerosoft Aircraft: Twin Otter