Aerosoft Aircraft: Twin Otter

Mathijs Kok

On 16.6.2021 at 20:51, Mathijs Kok sagte:

So, after a very busy period it is now the time of football and warm summer evenings. That means things for us slow down a bit (you have no idea how much these things affect our sales, give us a rainy, windy. cold long weekend and we make a lot of money), I got glass of wine, it is 19:30, Wales is winning from Turkey and I got little else to do. So let me explain what the this Twin Otter project is intended to be.

First of all, the aircraft that we are doing for MSFS fall in to price ranges. 50 and 25 euro/dollars, That does not mean we'll not do a 30 euro/dollar one or a 70 dollar/euro one, but they are two different levels. The CRJ, Airbusses etc will all be in the 50 euro/dollar range. They are pretty complex, have 100+ pages of manuals and are thus for a limited audience. No matter how it seems, in the 30 years (yes party this year) we have been doing this we have learned that complex aircraft get a lot of attention, less complex aircraft get a lot of sales.  Our Twin Otters have been selling very well for over 10 years. They are the products we make our money on over the long run.  At a certain moment we think a 100 euro/dollar aircraft for MSFS will be viable but we simply are not at that point right now. 

The Twin Otter is in the 25 euro/dollar class. (might be 29, we'll see)  That is a decision we took after a lot of discussion.  See it is a pretty complete project. You get 3 base models and many variants, like normal wheels, tundra wheels, floats, amphibian, and ski, many of those in cargo and pax versions. in and many liveries. Try to find ANY MSFS add-on that offers a selection like that.  It is also most likely the most modern model when it releases.  As the Xbox is a platform we want to use we had to use the very latest technology. While we are not yet released I am going out on limb here and say that when we release it will be the most advanced modeling  available.  Big words and feel free to tell me if I am wrong when we release. I think it looks kick-ass. 

image_2021_06_16T17_44_34_411Z.png

In essence, the Twin Otter was designed to go anywhere. And we used that as the basic idea for the project.  If there is a few hundreds of meters of more or less flat surface you can land. Water or land, tarmac or mud, snow or water.  We got the Twotter that will land there.  It is the ideal aircraft to explore the fantastic world that Asobo created. In a few days I will post a series of images of all models

Moving on to flight models and engines. At this very moment a bit of an open issue, but Alexander, who handles that, will refuse to release file to me that he is not happy with. And believe me, he is critical.  What we are aiming for is beyond what FSX or P3D could offer.  Our friends at Asobo are assisting. It is hard to explain how important this is. In P3D this was possible, but only if you move the engine and flight model OUTSIDE the sim. And then, you are not talking about a 250 euro/dollar product. 

What's left? Ahhh gauges and displays. Here we made some very strong choices.  The 'steam' gauges are rather special. They are really accurate to match the more advanced engine model. Asobo offered us new interfaces and these are really something we have not seen before. For the navigation instruments we have decided to use the default systems of MSFS. This decision was done after a lot of discussion.  Making our own would move the project into the 50 euro/dollar range and would make it MUCH harder to be able to use the Twin Otter on Xbox (more on that below).  But not only that, the default gauges are simply not bad and get better every month. 

We realized the people who expected a hardcore Twin Otter will now have steam coming out of every orifice, but that is not correct. It is pretty hardcore. In modeling, flightmodel, sounds, effects, instruments, manuals, models, variations and liveries we dare you to find anything that competes in that price level.  And keep in mind we did a Twin Otter Extended before, so while we go for a low price, loads of sales model first, who knows when we see the option for a PC only version that offers more depth at a higher price level.

On Xbox. We know most add-on developers simply do not see this as an important market (a bit because it is so hard to buy one), but we disagree. We do not think a super high end (100 euro/dollar) add-on will ever do well on Xbox. But a Twin Otter that is designed to be used with an Xbox controller that lets you explore the world.... yeah that will work. Put the sim on your TV and it becomes a surprisingly social game. I done it with family, we tried to find all of their houses, places they went on vacation, the place they were born. Three hours of some of the best flight simming I ever did. And challenging as weather got worse and worse. I had to work real hard on navigation.  The Twotter will be perfect for flights like that. You got some speed, can fly slow and low and can land almost everywhere.

20:45 now, time for some food and a new football match. Glass empty. I hope I was able to explain the 'base' of this project.  I would enjoy your comments. complaints, kudo's, rants, raves or whatever you like to say. 

I am a casual flight simmer and this is exactly that sort of aircraft I like. And especially for the mentioned activities. I like to visit places I have been before and so on. So a reasonable price is besides nice Modeling an important factor for me.

Though it should be a bit deeper than the Blackbox BN2 Islander. 
I think people like me like the idea of being able to have the controls on every knob, even, if we don’t use them

• Like 2

I beg you guys: Can we please, please get some of the liveries (or at least a paintkit) with a "worn" scheme? You know dust, some dirt, rust maybe.

All the liveries look nice, but they all look like fresh out of the maintenance hangar or from the manufacturing plant.

Especially with such a working horse as the Twotter, I would really love some of the liveries to have a more used look, please!

It's a general, tiny "nuisance" I have with most payware planes coming out. MSFS allows such insane detail and then all the liveries come out like fresh from the factory.

I used to work in aviation near Paderborn as Ramp Agent in RL until Covid, so I saw and touched actual planes every day. And I have NEVER actually seen a totally clean, fresh plane with not a single area of dirt, dust or lack of paint around certain areas like exhausts, moving parts, etc. Even a totally clean plane would look worn down after a week of actual service.

• Upvote 1

• Root Admin

You will like this list.

• DHC6_100_FLOATER
    • DHC6_100_WHEELS_PAX
    • DHC6_100_WHEELS_CARGO
    • DHC6_300_AMPHIBIAN_PAX
    • DHC6_300_FLOATER_PAX_SHORT_NOSE
    • DHC6_300_FLOATER_PAX
    • DHC6_300_SKI_CARGO
    • DHC6_300_TUNDRA_CARGO
    • DHC6_300_TUNDRA_PAX
    • DHC6_300_WHEELS_CARGO_3BLADE
    • DHC6_300_WHEELS_CARGO_4BLADE
    • DHC6_300_WHEELS_PAX
    • DHC6_300_WHEELS_PARAJUMPER
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

vor 3 Minuten, Mathijs Kok sagte:

You will like this list.

• DHC6_100_FLOATER
    • DHC6_100_WHEELS_PAX
    • DHC6_100_WHEELS_CARGO
    • DHC6_300_AMPHIBIAN_PAX
    • DHC6_300_FLOATER_PAX
    • DHC6_300_SKI_CARGO
    • DHC6_300_TUNDRA_CARGO
    • DHC6_300_TUNDRA_PAX
    • DHC6_300_WHEELS_PAX

We do.

4 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

You will like this list.

• DHC6_100_FLOATER
    • DHC6_100_WHEELS_PAX
    • DHC6_100_WHEELS_CARGO
    • DHC6_300_AMPHIBIAN_PAX
    • DHC6_300_FLOATER_PAX
    • DHC6_300_SKI_CARGO
    • DHC6_300_TUNDRA_CARGO
    • DHC6_300_TUNDRA_PAX
    • DHC6_300_WHEELS_PAX

Will there be a short nose on wheels?

• Like 1

Nice to see a float version included. Me personally would happily pay extra for an extended version after the initial release. 

Are there any plans to implement realistic water physics in MSFS? I'm asking because I know Aerosoft is working closely with Asobo. 

• Upvote 1

• Deputy Sheriffs
4 hours ago, flyerdu973 said:

Any Releases date estimation? I'd like to know how much time I have to hibernate :)

From the topic header: "Please do not ask for release dates because if we can say we would have posted it here and if we do not know we can't say."

Hi!

Really looking forward to the TwinOtter, looking very good!!!

A problem I remember from the P3D version was that it was not possible to moor or park the plane next to a pier when in water, so it always float away if there was only a small wind... Would it be possible to add this function? 

Best regards Jan

• Thanks 1

• Root Admin
3 hours ago, janjoensson said:

Hi!

Really looking forward to the TwinOtter, looking very good!!!

A problem I remember from the P3D version was that it was not possible to moor or park the plane next to a pier when in water, so it always float away if there was only a small wind... Would it be possible to add this function? 

Best regards Jan

Good one, need to check if the default Icon does that. If it does, out twotter will have the same issue.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

• Root Admin
1 hour ago, YetiAir said:

Will there be a YouTube Tutorial prior to the release like we got for the CRJ ?

Not sure about that. The Twotter is really a very basic aircraft...

Just in case there is any doubt about an Extended version, I would like to say that I will definitely commit to it as a Day One purchase! And to be frank, even if it climbs to the $75 mark I would still get it! The Twotter and the Kodiak Quest are my Go To bush planes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donka said:

Is there a rough eta? Just an idea, not something for us to hold you to! 👹

From the topic header: "Please do not ask for release dates because if we can say we would have posted it here and if we do not know we can't say."

20 minutes ago, Hugo_J said:

Not asking for a date, just if they think it could be 2 months away or similar. 

• Downvote 1