Aerosoft Aircraft: Twin Otter (released)

Mathijs Kok

39 minutes ago, Twickshound said:

Just came across this on a news article and wanted to post it here because I thought it was interesting

Seeing mods like this is cool, reminds of a program call Dangerous Flights where they would frequently add extra tanks to help ferry small GA aircraft across the pacific and stuff

On 11.1.2022 at 18:51, Mathijs Kok sagte:

Can't say we do, can't say we don't.

Maybe it can be done in a few parts like the Antarctica. 
For example, Vol. 1 comes with the airport + seaplane terminal and maybe 4 or 5 island. 
The following parts than focus on one or two atolls at a time. For example, Ari-Atoll and Baa-Atoll. 

Regarding the Antarctica expansion. Someone asked earlier if there will be a bundle price if you buy the twin otter + the expansion. You answered to that post, that you will discuss it. So i was wondering, if it will be possible or not? 

• Root Admin
1 hour ago, Twickshound said:

Just came across this on a news article and wanted to post it here because I thought it was interesting

One of the nicest things about the Twin Otter is that every single one is different and they all have their own little tweaks.

• Like 2

Mathijs, I currently have Covid (I must have got it at work) and in Isolation and its my birthday today, I wish I could of bought the Twin Otter today. Now that would of put a smile upon my face. In reality I know I have to wait like everyone else.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, eaim said:

Mathijs, I currently have Covid (I must have got it at work) and in Isolation and its my birthday today, I wish I could of bought the Twin Otter today. Now that would of put a smile upon my face. In reality I know I have to wait like everyone else.

Happy Birthday !!!

Sorry to hears you are Covided and Isolated :( I wish you the best, 5 days left before TwinOtter ;) I can't wait for it too :)

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, eaim said:

Aerosoft Customers:

image.thumb.png.e084507711cf4423c6d857cd00e05451.png

Mathijs in his office:

image.thumb.png.1a8095b2c63569a3f1326730a93c9b23.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• Root Admin

Yeah... more or less says it all. 

But it is Friday evening quarter to eight and the whole team is still working. We need a life. Some idiot decided we needed a special sound for the cargo doors.... tjeeee.

I also just realized we have 4 different cockpits. Normal wheel, Ski, Amphibian and Skydiver.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

But it is Friday evening quarter to eight and the whole team is still working. We need a life. Some idiot decided we needed a special sound for the cargo doors.... tjeeee.

I also just realized we have 4 different cockpits. Normal wheel, Ski, Amphibian and Skydiver.

Playful ribbing aside, the pride you guys put into it is evident in everything you've shared.  I'm sure you're as eager to get us the final version as we are to have it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Time for a glass of wine (or two).

2 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Your hard work is highly appreciated! you keep raising the bar for others too (very good for all of this community!)

Personally I am toasting in advance the Aerosoft team with a glass of Scapa Skiren. The Scapa distillery is just to the left of short finals for runway 09 at Kirkwall [EGPA] where the Twin Otter will be a frequent visitor. The islands around Scotland are the perfect playground for this aircraft.

vor 5 Stunden , Mathijs Kok sagte:

The build in checklist is really pretty complete and for a project manager like me ideal!

image.png

Hello at all,

Hello Mathijs,

I think you're doing more than 100% as a project manager..... because in line 8 and in line 14 you find "Pitot Heat  -- OFF".

I am only a simmer, never had any education in flying or aviation, but I am not sure if a Twin Otter has two different pitot switches.... 😉

My colleagues and me know working opn Friday evenings, or complete weekend, for several projects, if necessary. Its okay for such a great one - so keep on smiling, its worth!

Greetings from the North of Germany

Ingo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IanH77 said:

Personally I am toasting in advance the Aerosoft team with a glass of Scapa Skiren. The Scapa distillery is just to the left of short finals for runway 09 at Kirkwall [EGPA] where the Twin Otter will be a frequent visitor. The islands around Scotland are the perfect playground for this aircraft.

yes....know it too!  I'm sure Westray to Papa Westray will be another jaunt for the Twotter...

Mathijs, a small correction for the RNoAF livery (Norwegian Air Force). The correct registration would be XJ-M 67-062, not MXJ_67-062 as you state on the product page. From one side of the plane it looks like "M-XJ", but the correct registration number when read from the other side of the plane is "XJ-M". Source: http://www.719skvadron.no/dhc6/dhc6-062.htmhttps://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1752246 (among several).

• Upvote 1

On 1/13/2022 at 10:18 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

While progress on the project is simply on schedule, there is one part that is falling behind and that we are moving from the front burners to 'be delivered after release' and that is the paint kit. The reason for that is because where we had our full development on Photoshop (and thus easy to export to a layered based paintkit) all texturing is now done with the far more suitable Substance Painter. That is the tool all modern game modelers use, it is just not so easy to export to something non pro's can use. 

We'll get it done though. In the mean time enjoy the efficiency the latest developments offer. If you can handle Substance Painter files and are seriously serios contact me on mathijs.kok@aerosoft.com. But please, not just to get some files send. Show me what you done.

On the topic of paint: The NOAA Twin Otters are pretty...

image.thumb.png.c0d78dea2e3e88749e7336bb126707c4.png

35 minutes ago, Jazzmog said:

@Heiligs Blechle- a historical fact for your ferrying and as someone else pointed out to me, the production facility for the DHC6-100 is (was) Downsview, Toronto, and not the -400 facility at Victoria, BC.

You could pretend that someone traded in their old -300 on a new -400, and now Viking in Victoria (CYYJ) is selling that old -300 to get it off their ramp (so to speak)...

Edit: It seems I recalled correctly that even Boeing once sold some used A340's that they took on trade for 777's...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

One of the nicest things about the Twin Otter is that every single one is different and they all have their own little tweaks.

Heh… shall we ask Hans what he thought about that… 

Seriously though, it has been a pleasure getting to know the team and share my experience and knowledge with the Otter, having been privy to seeing it in its infancy and Hans working his magic code hands, Anne and JaeOn working their impressively artistic fingers, and Jouka sitting back prodding Hans with jokes…. Typical. I jest. I can’t wait to see so many of you flying this thing into some real rough terrain. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Heiligs Blechle said:

Folks, what is the maximum range on "standard" conditions? approx. 900 NM? 

Hello,

it depends on the plane/variant. What the DHC-6 is modeled after will push 900nm before needing to find an immediate fuel stop. Not to be confused with “yeah we can fly that far and be fine!”  Reliably I have done 730+ nm trips for repositioning flights, if that’s what you’re going for. 

• Thanks 1

• Root Admin
3 hours ago, Jazzmog said:

Mathijs, a small correction for the RNoAF livery (Norwegian Air Force). The correct registration would be XJ-M 67-062, not MXJ_67-062 as you state on the product page. From one side of the plane it looks like "M-XJ", but the correct registration number when read from the other side of the plane is "XJ-M". Source: http://www.719skvadron.no/dhc6/dhc6-062.htmhttps://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1752246 (among several).

Corrected!

• Like 1

• Root Admin
1 hour ago, angernerve said:

Hello,

it depends on the plane/variant. What the DHC-6 is modeled after will push 900nm before needing to find an immediate fuel stop. Not to be confused with “yeah we can fly that far and be fine!”  Reliably I have done 730+ nm trips for repositioning flights, if that’s what you’re going for. 

Sore bottom and stiff legs? Cause that is not an plush airliner cockpit.

• Like 1

• Mathijs Kok changed the title to Aerosoft Aircraft: Twin Otter (released)
  • Mathijs Kok locked this topic