Aerosoft Aircraft: Twin Otter (released)

Mathijs Kok

12 hours ago, Richard Dastardly said:

I was watching someone's flight of an XP11 Twotter to get some idea of what it takes to start one in a sim, and... well, it's not very much, so I don't think that'll be a problem. It's not like the 20s of an Islander, but well, it's a *bit* more complicated 😛

Is it coming with the paintkit?

I know that the Otter in P3D could just be started fast, if in a 'simple' mode, but in realistic mode, if the engines weren't started correctly, they'd catch fire.  I assume this version will emulate that behaviour.....hope so, anyway!

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Transair27 said:

I know that the Otter in P3D could just be started fast, if in a 'simple' mode, but in realistic mode, if the engines weren't started correctly, they'd catch fire.  I assume this version will emulate that behaviour.....hope so, anyway!

It was a real ( not DHC-6 ) pilot's video, so he definitely didn't leave it in a simple mode. You get fairly comical amounts of flame out of some DCS turbines if you try and start them too fast but it's not a tricky start procedure, just needs some patience. Going through turbine physics to try and reduce it down to as basic as I could for a past project might have helped there, I guess.

On 27.11.2021 at 08:42, PeSt sagte:

I hope much the MSFS Twin Otter is near to the Twin Otter Extended, maybe with more / deeper features. Working circuit breakers would be cool. Cant wait to work with the checklists, to start, to care about the engines at a long distance flight, always an eye at the fuel and for a rescue landing spot til i land the bird at the destination… 

I'm with you. After all, there is a prepared MSFS round-the-world flight in the drawer and it would make this project even more challenging if many details of the Pilot Operating Handbook/Aircraft Flight Manual of the 300 series would be implemented in the Aerosoft Twin Otter. Still not knowing which special things are built in (Section 9 Supplements), I have nevertheless already started to build a flow/checklist profile for VoiceAttack. Let's hope for extensive system depth on the Twin Otter. I am looking forward to the plane 🙂

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, testorius said:

I'm with you. After all, there is a prepared MSFS round-the-world flight in the drawer and it would make this project even more challenging if many details of the Pilot Operating Handbook/Aircraft Flight Manual of the 300 series would be implemented in the Aerosoft Twin Otter. Still not knowing which special things are built in (Section 9 Supplements), I have nevertheless already started to build a flow/checklist profile for VoiceAttack. Let's hope for extensive system depth on the Twin Otter. I am looking forward to the plane 🙂

hear hear

2 hours ago, Richard Dastardly said:

Going through turbine physics to try and reduce it down to as basic as I could for a past project might have helped there, I guess.

Knowing turbine physics isn't going to hurt but you don't need it to start the Twin Otter Extended! It takes less than 30 seconds for both engines and the only thing to worry about is letting the starter spin until you have more than 12% on the GG RPM before switching the fuel on. Watch it here (starting at 1:29).

• Upvote 3

Some people have too much space in their houses. It's kinda tempting to pick up the p3D twotter extended to pass the time while we wait, but yeah nah, I'll wait ...  impatiently, but I'll wait, and I'll even make it sound like it's my choice LOL  :)

• Like 1

vor 43 Minuten, MarkHurst sagte:

It takes less than 30 seconds for both engines

Provided that the gas generator of the first engine does not stabilize below 16 % Ng. Then, according to the manual, the battery should first be charged with the engine running. Similarly for battery start under extreme conditions below -30°C. Also in this case the start of both engines would take longer than 30 seconds (press starter for 5 seconds, wait 1 minute and after idle start wait until oil temperature reaches 0°C).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, testorius said:

Provided that the gas generator of the first engine does not stabilize below 16 % Ng. Then, according to the manual, the battery should first be charged with the engine running. Similarly for battery start under extreme conditions below -30°C. Also in this case the start of both engines would take longer than 30 seconds (press starter for 5 seconds, wait 1 minute and after idle start wait until oil temperature reaches 0°C).

You must have a different Twin Otter Extended to me.

• Like 1

vor 13 Minuten, MarkHurst sagte:

You must have a different Twin Otter Extended to me.

Mark, thats right 🙂 I'm coming from the PMDG's, the Maddog etc. The earlier Twin Otter Extended has not been in focus so far. All the nicer to take on a new pattern for once and see what comes. 🙂

I don't know if this has been covered previously, but since we're talking about realism: What is the range going to be? The Viking Aircraft page for the Twin Otter series 400 cites the zero payload range as 770 NM and the range with long range tankage as 980 NM. As it happens, it's about 770 NM from Usuaia to British Rothera... so... [blink, blink] ... ...?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BenKorek2021 said:

I don't know if this has been covered previously, but since we're talking about realism: What is the range going to be? The Viking Aircraft page for the Twin Otter series 400 cites the zero payload range as 770 NM and the range with long range tankage as 980 NM. As it happens, it's about 770 NM from Usuaia to British Rothera... so... [blink, blink] ... ...?

No -400 being produced but the -300 is 770NM also!

• Upvote 1

On 11/27/2021 at 8:42 AM, PeSt said:

I hope much the MSFS Twin Otter is near to the Twin Otter Extended, maybe with more / deeper features. Working circuit breakers would be cool. Cant wait to work with the checklists, to start, to care about the engines at a long distance flight, always an eye at the fuel and for a rescue landing spot til i land the bird at the destination… 

Manage your expectations.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/28/2021 at 9:19 AM, MarkHurst said:

Knowing turbine physics isn't going to hurt but you don't need it to start the Twin Otter Extended! It takes less than 30 seconds for both engines and the only thing to worry about is letting the starter spin until you have more than 12% on the GG RPM before switching the fuel on. Watch it here (starting at 1:29).

Yeah, that's similar to a non FADEC helicopter, as long as you don't start it on full throttle I don't think anyone's going to have difficulty with it. When you're in a hurry to get rotors up to speed & throttle gets ahead of N1, then you get comedic amounts of flames ...

• Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 11:03 AM, paddler said:

I feel confident that if you were to start investing in upgrading virtual cockpit hardware now for this Twin Otter you will not be sorry!

Well I've gone and purchased the Honeycomb Bravo quadrant in anticipation of this mod... I hope you're happy Aerosoft! (Judging by the fact that your logo is on the Honeycomb box, I suspect you are - at least a little bit...)

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, BenKorek2021 said:

Well I've gone and purchased the Honeycomb Bravo quadrant in anticipation of this mod... I hope you're happy Aerosoft! (Judging by the fact that your logo is on the Honeycomb box, I suspect you are - at least a little bit...)

great purchase in any case! GG

• Upvote 1

vor 19 Stunden , BenKorek2021 sagte:

Hi Ben, you wrote about realism. Let's illuminate the topic in this context for a short moment. 🙂

In the manual for the 300 series, which is what most of the Aerosoft versions are, the maximum range is 722 NM (zero payload, cruise 10,000 ft, long range power, fuel reserve 45 minutes). Interesting are the options special equipment. Wing fuel tanks, increase of flight time by approx. 1 hour and the optional ferry fuel system of min. 4 to max. 9 interconnected 45 Imperial gallon steel drums, which are installed in the cabin.

Assuming the Aerosoft base of the Twin Otter is rock solid, all indications currently suggest that it is, some of the brilliant MSFS modders will probably get to work with it and explore what is possible.

Possibly a very interesting ferry tank project that I discovered nine months ago on reddit will be continued.  "Turtlepac 33Gal internal fuel tank".

Will say:

Mr. Kok, wing fuel tanks part of the delivery?

Ben, you can in all likelihood successfully plan your extended Legs in implementation.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, testorius said:

In the manual for the 300 series, which is what most of the Aerosoft versions are, the maximum range is 722 NM (zero payload, cruise 10,000 ft, long range power, fuel reserve 45 minutes). Interesting are the options special equipment. Wing fuel tanks, increase of flight time by approx. 1 hour and the optional ferry fuel system of min. 4 to max. 9 interconnected 45 Imperial gallon steel drums, which are installed in the cabin.

mmm .... if we take the internal fuel as around 370 gallons (I think?), 9 x 45 gives another 400 gallons in drums ... so if we really want to do ferry flights, even if there isn't a mod, we could run the tanks more or less dry then slide them back up to 100% from the weight and balance menu and call it fuel being pumped in from the drums ...  we could even get flash with the payload to reflect the TOW of 400 gallons of fuel, and remove that when we refill ...  well it sounds like it would work :)

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, chairman said:

mmm .... if we take the internal fuel as around 370 gallons (I think?), 9 x 45 gives another 400 gallons in drums ... so if we really want to do ferry flights, even if there isn't a mod, we could run the tanks more or less dry then slide them back up to 100% from the weight and balance menu and call it fuel being pumped in from the drums ...  we could even get flash with the payload to reflect the TOW of 400 gallons of fuel, and remove that when we refill ...  well it sounds like it would work :)

mind you...if a carefully placed aircraft carrier were available..........

• Upvote 2

• Mathijs Kok changed the title to Aerosoft Aircraft: Twin Otter (released)
  • Mathijs Kok locked this topic