Aerosoft Aircraft: Twin Otter (released)

Mathijs Kok

7 hours ago, paulwareiNG said:

@Mathijs Kok - will this aircraft support the pms GTN-750?

I've already managed to implement the external implementation of the PMS GTN750 with the Otter. I'm sure if there's any dev time available, an embedded version with texture would be possible. It's neat, but you do lose the classic feel with it enabled.

• Root Admin

Got a question to you all.

See this yellow arc? See that the right dial does not have it?

image.png

In internal discussion we are discussing if we should leave it as it is or change it.

See this is how it looks in the the aircraft we took as reference:

image.png

So the real aircraft has it. Just goes to show that an old aircraft always has its own character, has always some strange things. So I like it, but I can also understand that many customers will feel it is a bug, showing bad quality control etc.  There is more of this visible, for instance the way the gauge lights are almost all a little bit bit off. Not pointed the right way. Look at the one between the PROP RPM and the one between GG RPM.  The top one is knock out of alignment sometime in it life.  And so Anne modeled it exactly that way. 

What's your idea on this?

• Like 6

Well first of all it's nice to see the plane is in this stage of development. Developers nitpicking over silly little details as they're in conjunction with the pride of effort about their work! Haha.

To start with the lights first: I think they're actually bended by an iron eating bush pilot at some point. As he was night flying he didn't really need to see if the gauge was good where it's good, but he really wants to notice the gauge being out of normal operating range and that's where he pointed it at.

As for the gauge strip, the DC6 has it too on the number 4 engine I think. It's a different gauge than the others, probably as engineers would just replace them with whatever is on stock. It bothered me a bit at first as something confusing but now I love how it presents an aircraft that just has that amount of character. Like most twin otters don't see a company technician at the end of the week by default as they're just too busy working, met hun poten in de modder.

So... There's my two cents on it. Both of it wouldn't bother me on bit. (Which also makes it ready for release now sir. Haha)

Seriously though. Glad to see it's almost ready. The sim really needs a new quality addon that isn't military. I stayed up late last night to watch a documentary of the Twin Otter and couldn't wait to get my hands on it again. A thankfuk community greets you.

Best,

Alexander

• Upvote 4

On 10/21/2021 at 12:01 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

image.png

In internal discussion we are discussing if we should leave it as it is or change it.

See this is how it looks in the real aircraft:

image.png

So the real aircraft has it. Just goes to show that an old aircraft always has its own character, has always some strange things. So I like it, but I can also understand that many customers will feel it is a bug, showing bad quality control etc.  There is more of this visible, for instance the way the gauge lights are almost all a little bit bit off. Not pointed the right way. Look at the one between the PROP RPM and the one between GG RPM.  The top one is knock out of alignment sometime in it life.  And so Anne modeled it exactly that way. 

For immersion - leave it as is!

for those that think it's a bug: 1. they're not worthy for the plane 2. you can always write it down in the manual..

Thanks for sharing

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

I would say leave it in but maybe mention that this is representing a real aircraft. PMDG pulled it off with their DC6 and JF did with their Arrow (to a certain extent). I personally really like that faithful feel it gives. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

For me it depends whether you are trying to model a brand new, perfect looking twin otter, or if it is suppose to be an aging, used airplane. If you are modeling an aging one please leave it as it is. 
Very much looking forward to learn to fly this anyway.

• Upvote 1

The only thing for me is that at first glance, it looks like a gauge that is unrelated to the other even though it is for the same component, just a different engine.

Would hate to misread prop rpm with a quick glance although I guess this isn't considered an issue in real life given that's how it is on a real aircraft.

At the end it's up to you but:

pros (as described):

- it's created as it is in the reference aircraft

- it underlines the used look & feel

cons:

- many people will report it as a bug (even if you mention it several times)

- you're releasing many versions of the Twin Otter and not just the one version of the reference model and that's the first Twin Otter I've seen with this kind of "anomaly"

- not all companies (RL) would accept two different looking engine gauges for the same purpose in an aircraft to eliminate any possibility of missinterpretation in case of an emergency.

My personal opinion: I'll take it as it will be delivered and at the end it's a sim with the freedom of the designer to create it how he'd like to have it and not the real thing. If there aren't bigger issues to solve for this bird, I'm very happy anyway!!! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Kind of reminds me of the xcrafts erj for xplane. In my opinion as many have stated it would be cool. That said maybe it could come with the yellow default and have an option to turn it off like the erj does . I don’t know if this is possible in msfs but if it is that would be awesome.

Leave it as is but either:

- have that image from the real aircraft available as a quick/canned response for your support staff or

- include it in the manual

Do have one query on the arcs though, the real aircraft arcs are substantially thinner - is that a limitation or needed as otherwise on a PC monitor it's almost invisible?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

image.png

image.png

Authentic pls

Absolutely leave it in. It's like weathering, it makes the plane even more real. 

In the "Things the Beta Team Wanted You to Know" section of the manual for a DC6 I spend a lot of time in there's an entire paragraph about "Some Gauges and Placards are Correct in Being Incorrect" about gauge faces that aren't all the same, spelling mistakes on placards, and lights not being the colour their switch labels say, because that's the way the reference aircraft is. If it's good enough for that dev then it's good enough for anybody !

• Upvote 3

If left like it is in the real aircraft, I would say you will have to include a sentence not only in the manual, but more importantly in the aircraft description in the shop/marketplace that "special care have been put to represent a specific example of the twin otter that includes..." and then list some of the more noticeable things that can be misinterpreted as bugs.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

image.png

image.png

If you are aiming for realism, then the age of the gauge is important, however you need to include the other quirks, such as the orange zones on the oil gauges, where you have gone for a newer yellow.  If you go for all quirks it will make more sense, rather than picking and choosing which then looks like bugs.

• Upvote 1

• Mathijs Kok changed the title to Aerosoft Aircraft: Twin Otter (released)
  • Mathijs Kok locked this topic