Aerosoft Aircraft: Twin Otter (for MFS)

Looking forward to this in addition to the CRJ that's on the way.

If anyone's concerned about the turboprops in MSFS and how the model isn't accurate (e.g., torque rising with altitude), there are community mods out there that fix the issues, so issues with turboprop modeling seem to be aircraft specific, not simulator limitations. I'm confident Aerosoft will present an accurate flight model on release.

• Like 1
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very early days but at least you can see we have started the project. This is NOT a conversion but everything will be done new, to the latest standards. As we have expanded our internal aircraft

Some more images, they also show the avionics layout we decided on. Check the Sperry logo on the altimeter, super small but as MFS uses decals even super small text like this can be perfectly sharp. V

Yet important, thanks for the heads-up.   It's always a great moment when you export for the first time to the sim!    Do not see this as a sign we are close to completion th

Posted Images

On 9/26/2020 at 2:32 PM, amahran said:

issues with turboprop modeling seem to be aircraft specific, not simulator limitations

Now we are talking :D I can't wait to see the TwOtter on MSFS :)

On 9/15/2020 at 3:44 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

Very early days but at least you can see we have started the project. This is NOT a conversion but everything will be done new, to the latest standards.

As we have expanded our internal aircraft development team we are now able to run tow full size projects at the same time.

This is likely my most-anticipated add-on for the sim at the moment. Out of curiosity, what kind of avionics can we expect, and will there be multiple options? 

As far as I know, the Twin Otter has a gazillion of different avionics packages, so I'm wondering if we might get a couple of different options like all analog and glass cockpit. 

On 9/17/2020 at 9:45 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

We'll only do old style Twotters... but 100 and 300 are planned.

Good news. Hoping there will be room for beta testers...

• Upvote 1

I registered just to say the same. This is easily one of my favourite aircraft in XP11 and thrilled to see it coming to MSFS 2020 at some point. Happy beta test. 

• Upvote 1
On 10/4/2020 at 2:33 AM, Paul-Falke@gmx.net said:

Please write Aerosoft Aircraft

I know this is minor.

Yet important, thanks for the heads-up.

image.png

It's always a great moment when you export for the first time to the sim! 

Do not see this as a sign we are close to completion though. This is a full MFS project, with all the trimmings like decals etc. As far as I know nobody has released something like that, in fact as far as I know it's not even completely possible with the current SDK.

To give an example of things that are still not sorted out:

rain_Windshield.jpg

See how the rain is shown on the part of the glass that is behind the frames?  You do not see this on the default aircraft because that glass is just a sheet on infinite thinness while we want to do a glass pane of the correct thickness because only then reflections from both sides of the glass are correct.  At this moment there is no work around possible, but Asobo should be able to sort this out for us soon.

Another example:

image.png

See how the reflections on the panels is super accurate but seems to believe the whole aircraft is transparant? You actually see right through the walls of the aircraft.  Again, it should not be a hard thing to fix but we really would like to use all these things and not make things simpler then they could be. 

There are many things like this, but we are not too worried, Microsoft and Asobo are incredibly communicative and do a lot to assist us. There is a lot to learn, but the result should be a massive step upwards from what is possible in P3D V5.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Hi Mathijs,

As a cockpit builder based on your existing fabulous addon DHC-6-300 TwinOtter running now on P3Dv5,  I am excited to see this new release for FS2020 !!

I know editors got trouble because of the SDK not yet finalized.  It does not help the addons developments.

Good  job to the team so far !

I'll follow closely this thread now :)

Philippe

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, VTA217 said:

As a cockpit builder based on your existing fabulous addon DHC-6-300 TwinOtter running now on P3Dv5,  I am excited to see this new release for FS2020 !!

Philippe, you should post some pictures of your cockpit in the Twin Otter Extended forum!

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Is the Twin Otter on the same Pace as the CRJ Jet or we need to wait longer to get it working wit the current SDK...more intressted in Probs then Jets to seek out for some Backcountry flying

• Like 1
20 hours ago, MAD-MM said:

Is the Twin Otter on the same Pace as the CRJ Jet or we need to wait longer to get it working wit the current SDK...more intressted in Probs then Jets to seek out for some Backcountry flying

The Twin Otter is certainly a 2021 project. 

• Like 4

Some more images, they also show the avionics layout we decided on. Check the Sperry logo on the altimeter, super small but as MFS uses decals even super small text like this can be perfectly sharp. Very smooth and efficient work from Anne.

Next week work on the exterior will start with a new modeler hired.  So far so good!

image_01.PNG

image_00.PNG

image_03.PNG

image_02.PNG

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2
15 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Some more images, they also show the avionics layout we decided on. Check the Sperry logo on the altimeter, super small but as MFS uses decals even super small text like this can be perfectly sharp. Very smooth and efficient work from Anne.

Next week work on the exterior will start with a new modeler hired.  So far so good!

This looks absolutely fantastic. 

Quick question. Is there any chance you folks could consider an add-on to the add-on after release portraying the Viking version with the full glass cockpit? Of course, I'm not asking it to come for free and I'd be perfectly happy to pay for such an option as I'm sure many others.

Many small airlines nowadays use that version, so I'd love to have it available. 

Regardless, I love what I'm seeing so far. This is a 100% day 1 purchase for me.

13 hours ago, Abriael said:

Quick question. Is there any chance you folks could consider an add-on to the add-on after release portraying the Viking version with the full glass cockpit?

No. Asked in the second post in this thread and answered by Mathijs in the third post:

Really looking forward to what you guys will do building upon the awesome Twotter X. A couple of suggestions from a very active user of your Twotter X in P3Dv3 still.
1) Consider a couple different pilot sets of Bush Pilots, Island Hopper Pilots (casual button down and shorts), Expedition Pilots (cold weather) and traditional airline pilots which can be selected from the config page like how one can set the plane to start in Cold and Dark or ready for taxi.
2) Have that checklist manual in the pilot side door pocket as a clickable item to open and close the 2D panel.

3) Swivel-able map lights.

4) While there is no current GTN 750/650 addons, I'm sure there will be so go ahead and make a panel for a 750/650 and 750/430 configurations for when there is.

5) Headphone mode using the Bose A20 which really cuts down the sound when on.

6) A Rocky Mountain Airways livery 
7) Consider having audio for all checklist items for when the pilot/user right clicks on the checklist item, it would be like the Pilot calling to the Co-Pilot to perform the action. So left click and if green okay, if red the user performs the action to make it green and if the user right clicks on it, the items is announced and you see the action happen as if the Co-Pilot is preforming it.

Please keep the Fuel Planner loader and flight recorder features as well as the icing build up with possible improvements like being able to de-ice prior to take off.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Nathan Palmer said:

1) Consider a couple different pilot sets of Bush Pilots, Island Hopper Pilots (casual button down and shorts), Expedition Pilots (cold weather) and traditional airline pilots which can be selected from the config page like how one can set the plane to start in Cold and Dark or ready for taxi.

I would even suggest a "Remove Copilot" options for Single Crew operations :) (just like Default MSFS, it seems like we can remore copilot)

• 2 weeks later...

This will be a day one purchase from me. Really looking forward to do some bushflying with the Twin Otter in FS2020. Hopefully the broken turboprop simulation in FS2020 will be fixed soon. Would love to see a highly realistic Twin Otter with a proper PT-6 engine and prop simulation.

That being said, there MIGHT also be issues with the water dynamics in FS2020 as of right now. The Icon needs around 50% torque to start moving on water, which is not right. Not sure if this is an issue with the plane itself or the water dynamics. Anyways, take your time on this one Aerosoft, and get the turboprop simulation right. Hopefully all the issues and limitations from FSX and P3D will now be a thing of the past (broken turboprop simulation, ground friction, water dynamics etc).

Will be following this project closely :)

On 10/7/2020 at 2:38 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

Or here....

Hi Mark, Hi Mathijs,

Please apologize for missing to answer to you.   I made a pause on my sim last months and I do not look regularly at the forums., sorry for that.

I will post some pictures of my "non finished" DHC-6-300 cockpit  soon :)

Philippe

To do not pollute this thread of the MSFS TwinOtter,  I choosed instead to create one in the TwinOtter Extended forum.

I have copied/pasted my posts i already published some months ago on the Almost Aviation forum dedicated to the TwinOtter too.

It was more confortable for me than digging in my catalog of photos to illustrate my cockpit build around our loved DHC-6 TwinOtter addon.

The thread is starting here:

Have a nice week-end

Bye

Philippe