ASUpdater crash at startup

After installing the free scenery Paderborn  on MSFS , when I open the Aerosoft Updater, it crashes after a white window appears for some seconds.

Installed version 1.6.0.0.

I have checked all the xml files in the Products directory and all appear to be fine.

Attached is my log file.

Thanks for your help.

Andrea

ASUpdater_App_Log.txt

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Developer

Everything seems fine with those files. The log file in your first post doesn't indicate any issues either?

Do you get an error message when you run the updater? If so, can you click "Details" and copy/paste the error message here?

• Developer

This is a lot more helpful as it shows me the precise location where the error occurs. I use Steam as well. It's installed in it's usual location in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam and I use a separate library located in D:\Steam where I also installed MSFS.

Please tell me the following things:

a) Did you install Steam to a different location than the default C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam ?

b) Do you use any additional steam libraries other than the default on in the Steam installation folder? If yes, please tell me where these are located and in which one you installed MSFS.

Thanks a lot!

I have installed MSFS in D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator and I have no other additional libraries other than the usual Community directory.

I have also tried to unistall Paderborn Scenery and I still get the same error when start ASUpdater.

• Developer

OK, that's the content folder. But it's not really the problem here. Please open Steam and select "Steam" -> "Settings" from the menu. In the Settings window select "Downloads" on the left side and then click "STEAM LIBRARY FOLDERS" on the right side. You should see something like this:

Please login to display this image.

If you have more than one library folder (like I in my example), Steam asked you where to install MSFS. If not (or if you just clicked "Continue"), the default folder has been used.

How does this window look on your system and which library did you use for MSFS?

• Developer

As I can not reproduce the problem, I added some error handling code to the updater which should, at the very least, avoid any crashes while retrieving the version number from the Steam MSFS.

Please give this version a try and let me know if it fixes the issue: ASUpdater_1600_Test.zip (unzip to <Documents>\Aerosoft\ASUpdater and replace existing files). Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem:

ASUpdater is starting, I see the GUI empty for less then 1 second and then ASUpdater crashes to desktop.

There is no error message.

I have done everything you suggested:

1. There are no xml errors in the products folder

2. I tried the above test file with no effect.

ASUpdater_App_Log.txt events.txt

• Developer

The error in your events.txt is a different one than the errors reported before. Yours occurs when the product list is loaded, the ones reported before happened in the function that retrieves the MSFS version number and path.

I'll look into this and see what might happen there.

On 9/15/2020 at 3:26 PM, whityini said:

After installing the free scenery Paderborn  on MSFS , when I open the Aerosoft Updater, it crashes after a white window appears for some seconds.

Installed version 1.6.0.0.

I have checked all the xml files in the Products directory and all appear to be fine.

Attached is my log file.

Thanks for your help.

Andrea

ASUpdater_App_Log.txt 538 B · 14 downloads

I also have encountered the same problem, not after installing MSFS Paderborn but after installing another Aerosoft P3Dv5 product.
I have the same white window appearing saying "Checking for updates. Please wait..." and then it crashes.
I also have version 1.6.0.0 installed.
Christer

This is how it looks like for me.
I discovered that my MSFS 2020 is not found in the list before Asupdater crashes. ( I had to be quick to capture the screendump before it crashed)

I hope that info can help a bit.

Christer

Please login to display this image.

I get crash too...

Win Event Viewer XMl log:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-10-05T09:41:29.1559729Z" />

<EventRecordID>34985</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>DESKTOP</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data>ASUpdater.exe</Data>

<Data>1.6.0.0</Data>

<Data>5f3b902c</Data>

<Data>unknown</Data>

<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>

<Data>00000000</Data>

<Data>c000041d</Data>

<Data>015da739</Data>

<Data>34ec</Data>

<Data>01d69afbb25e3660</Data>

<Data>C:\Users\ADMIN\Documents\Aerosoft\ASUpdater\ASUpdater.exe</Data>

<Data>unknown</Data>

<Data>e41b6167-fa11-4dc1-9594-e1e9d39d7e85</Data>

<Data />

<Data />

</EventData>

</Event>

• Developer

@Henni, I made a version with an additional message window to see why the Path.Combine() function thinks that there are illegal characters in your MSFS path (your events.txt say so). Please give it a try and send me a screenshot of the message window.

ASUpdater_1600_Test_2.zip

@kcw and @radeon29 Can you tell me where your MSFS content folder (that's the one with "Official" and "Community" in it are located? I also need to know which version (Steam, Store, DVD) you use.

I'm sorry about these issues, but the fact that there are lots of differences (especially when it comes to installation locations) between the three versions, still is not fully known.

• Developer
vor 2 Stunden , kcw sagte:

When I repaired my MSFS 2020 installation it worked again.

That's interesting. How did you repair it? I wasn't aware that there's an option for this.

Archived