ASUpdater crash at startup

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Developer

I've seen this error message from another user in another thread. I built a special version to see what these "Invalid characters" are. Unfortunately, he never replied and I can't find the thread anymore.

But I still have the test version: ASUpdater_1600_Test_2.zip

Please install the files to <Documents>\Aerosoft\ASUpdater (overwrite existing files) and give it a try. A message window should appear where the error occurs. Please post a screenshot of this window. Thanks :)

Hallo Hans,

I have installed the two files, overwriting the existing ones, but no message window appears when I start the updater.

Let me know if I can help further

I had a same issue this morning. Updater crashed right after loading, what i saw was MSFS entry missing.  It somehow got fixed by starting MSFS, what was weird, all the settings inside the sim were changed somehow. After changing the settings back and closing the sim AS updater started without a problem. 

On 5.10.2020 at 11:56, Hans Hartmann sagte:

@Henni, I made a version with an additional message window to see why the Path.Combine() function thinks that there are illegal characters in your MSFS path (your events.txt say so). Please give it a try and send me a screenshot of the message window.

Hi Hans,

there is no additional message window, so I can't send a screenshot.

But the most important message is, that this version fixed my issues. I was able to start the updater and saw all my products and was also able to update them.

If you want me to send a log or anyything else, please let me know.

Greetings

Henni

On 10/6/2020 at 5:49 PM, radeon29 said:
On 10/6/2020 at 4:19 PM, Hans Hartmann said:

Your XML log unfortunately gives no information at all.

ok, any ideas?

I still can't fix it ..

On 10/7/2020 at 2:26 PM, Hans Hartmann said:

I've seen this error message from another user in another thread. I built a special version to see what these "Invalid characters" are. Unfortunately, he never replied and I can't find the thread anymore.

But I still have the test version: ASUpdater_1600_Test_2.zip

Please install the files to <Documents>\Aerosoft\ASUpdater (overwrite existing files) and give it a try. A message window should appear where the error occurs. Please post a screenshot of this window. Thanks :)

Sorry Hans...
Maybe it was me...  I just gave up a little... It didn't work... and the new one not either.

Thank you 

Jens

I am with you, I would like to see this issue fixed as well. It's getting Old. Personally, I think the updater is basically a glorified reminder to update their products. It's a handy tool, if it works. But they don't really need it. All they have to do is post notification of an update in the forums, just like the old days, or I can check my account every once in a while, I can handle that.

Regards,

TS

First of all, I must humbly apologize for my premature comments above. I believe the issue, for me anyway, has been resolved with the help of Hans Hartmann. Please see this thread:

It was a simple matter of doing a slight modification to the product xml files found in "Documents>\Aerosoft\ASUpdater\Products".

Regards,

TS

On 10/14/2020 at 4:22 AM, canadagoose said:

First of all, I must humbly apologize for my premature comments above. I believe the issue, for me anyway, has been resolved with the help of Hans Hartmann. Please see this thread:

It was a simple matter of doing a slight modification to the product xml files found in "Documents>\Aerosoft\ASUpdater\Products".

Regards,

TS

Thank you for the contribution. All my links look to be alright. But with my Maastricht scenery a "<" was missing in the very first line. But still after this correction AS Updater aint working I am affraid .. All the problems started when I updated the CRJ Professional, when it was updated.

All the best

Jens

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2020 at 1:54 AM, nfinger said:

I had the same issue today and after running MSFS2020 it fixed itself.

Hi... I have updated MSFS 2020.. and tried... but not working

My project is to uninstall everything related to updater and try again... I am busy so it will take some days

All the best 

Jens

• Deputy Sheriffs
16 hours ago, frkristi said:

No files in the Logs-folder.

No files at all or only no logfile?

Did the ASUpdater ever work?

Did you check the Windows Eventviewer for an entry at the time of the crash?

• Deputy Sheriffs
3 hours ago, tyfoonbe said:

hello

my updater crash also.

i ve got the screen searching  and after it's shut down.

ASUpdater.cfg 317 B · 0 downloads asupdater.xml 111 B · 0 downloads

Also no logfile?

MY UPDATER IS NOW WORKING.....

I did as instructed and removed all scenery and reinstalled.. During this proces i noticed something.

Maybe somethings wrong with the Maastrict-Aachen scenery... I was not able to find the uninstall for this scenery, and on top of this its bought from FSPilotshop and I am trying to find out where to get the new download. That means its not installed.

I am very happy its working...*
Because MSFS for me still, is more a game than simulation for now.

The aircraft systems not working correctly..

And I can't open and close doors at my will, meaning MOI is not the captain. That's one of the basic ideas, I believe.

Sound is weak... and ongoing CTD's..

Therefor I am back to P3d V4,5

All the best

Jens

On 12/6/2020 at 1:26 PM, mopperle said:

No files at all or only no logfile?

Strange...

I emptied all the Windows-logs before trying, and now it suddenly works. A file is created in the Logs folder, and the updater started as it should.

Prior to this - no file at all in the Logs folder, and the updater only popped up with a white frame for a second, then closing again immidiately.

Problem seems fixed for now!

Dear Hans,

ASUpdater doesn't want to run anymore after the latest MSFS update. I have both P3Dv5.1HF1 and MSFS installed. See attached, the message I receive. Will an update of the ASUpdate be required to bring this back in working order?

Kind regards

Brian

Please login to display this image.

ASUpdater_App_Log.txt

Archived