Will My Clever Trick Work To Meet MS2020 Requirements?

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

I am blaming on everybody showing off their MS2020 screenshots to get me overexcited and get me lose my mind to think seriously about buying MS2020.

I have interesting hardware requirement question.  I have very powerful 2 year old MSI gaming laptop that can handle P3D or XP11 or any fancy payware airport sceneries or payware aircraft add on sceneries.

But my laptop comes with 256 Gb SSD and 1 TB 7,200rpm hard drive.  I know 256 GB SSD is not enough for MS2020.

So will my clever trick get MS2020 work and run smoothly if I install it on external SSD drive to be connected via 3.0 UBS to laptop.  I am thinking of SanDisk - Extreme 2TB External USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A/Type-C Portable Solid-State Drive

Will it work or not??

Regards,

Aharon

I agree with Mathijs, just replace the internal drive.

A few years ago SSD/HDD combis were still common. Nowadays they're more and more being replaced with full SSDs, certainly for gaming laptops that's a must. It's easily doable, just unscrew the SSD/HDD lid at the bottom of the laptop, take it out and put a new SSD back in it's place. You would of course need to reinstall Windows, but that's doable.

USB 3.0 has it's limits when it comes to speed, it might not be fast enough. With an internal SSD you don't have that problem.

@Mathijs Kokand @PatrickZ,

Thanks for kind answers. I am afraid that replacing 256 GB SSD drive with bigger SSD drive is not option in my gaming laptop.

So based on your answers, I guess I am better off buying a new laptop for MS2020 next year.  I am in no hurry since ground textures in my FSX screenshots manage to fool some people into thinking it is MS2020.   Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Regards,

Aharon

22 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

If you really need a laptop, yes. 

Agreed    I think the best way is to wait until 3rd or 4th quarter of 2021 to buy laptop and MS2020.  Almost one year would be enough for Microsoft to clear up any bugs such as Vatsim problems or errors such as missing airports in Alaska.

Meanwhile I have plenty of high quality payware sceneries in my FSX to enjoy. Yes I am still buying FSX compatible  payware sceneries.

Regards,

Aharon

• 4 weeks later...

My 2 cents:

I have this guy: https://www.x-kom.pl/p/409422-notebook-laptop-156-asus-fx503vd-e4082-i5-7300hq-8gb-1tb-gtx1050.html

P3D works in 'medium' settings in the 25 fps range, unless its complex scenery + AS A320, then it's 15 fps range. In the latter case I am downgrading setting to Low. As somebody said P3D is flight simulator and not senecery simulator.

MSFS in 'medium/low' area works in the range of 25 fps unless we're in NYC ;)  Overall it's MUCH MORE smooth than P3D and looks 5x better.

Now, no idea why you can't replace your SSD with 1TB, but this was the only thing I did. I had to buy an adapter to fit M.2 I had, but it works perfectly fine.

Now I am doing IFR in P3D and VFR in MSFS.

&

Archived