Couple of Questions Regarding Flight Planning

Sorry to bug you guys again but I am still relatively new to using PFPX and had a few questions regarding flight planning.

1)So I have PFPX connected with ActiveSky and want to plan a route between JFK and Tromso Norway. When I have PFPX find a route for me does it automatically take into account the weather for the route and give a route that will avoid any severe weather or turbulence? Also I can get PFPX to show the wind and temperature charts as well as turbulence but nothing happens when I click the Sigmet button and would like to also be able to see if there are will be any storms along the route.

2) So I sort of understand how NAT tracks work and know how to add them to my route but I don't know if it's always a requirement to fly them when going across the Atlantic. For example when I generate a route between JFK and Tromso it usually take me north from JFK and over Newfoundland and then over southern Greenland and over to Norway which avoids the only current NAT track which is much farther south. So would this be valid route to fly or would I need to use the NAT track?

Thanks for the help.

1. Whilst ActiveSky can be used it does not offer the same functionality as PFPX online weather which will give better results.
  2. No it is not a requirement to use NAT, a random route should however stay clear of the published tracks when not using any segment at all taking into account the time period. Use of NAT is detailed in NAT Doc 007

1 hour ago, srcooke said:
  1. Whilst ActiveSky can be used it does not offer the same functionality as PFPX online weather which will give better results.
  2. No it is not a requirement to use NAT, a random route should however stay clear of the published tracks when not using any segment at all taking into account the time period. Use of NAT is detailed in NAT Doc 007

Thanks for the help. So I understand that PFPX won't have as much detail about the weather when using AS vs using the online weather subscription but does this mean it won't take the weather into account when giving you a route or just not as well as it would if you used the online weather? Basically it would be nice to know that the route I am given should avoid any severe weather or winds.

With the current AS implementation there is no forecast over time as there is with PFPX online weather. AS implemented an api  that would accommodate this but is not available in PFPX.

Depending upon the optimization option selected PFPX will take into account winds for an automatic route find.

Archived