Move installation to new computer-how to?

I realize that my Dell isnt up to date when it comes to MSFS2020 and more demanding setup- so I intend to order a new machine.

I have the boxed installation on a separate disc (SSD)- if I simply move this disc and install it in the new machine, and put the CD in the optical reader, will it work i.e. what is needed in terms of start icon in the new windows menue, and any folders on C that needs to be copied?

Appreciate support on this!

Åke

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Just do a new install. NEVER just move files as that almost always leads to tears.

Hmm, reinstall all 10 discs, no I dont think so, if I move the whole SSD with me? There must be a smarter way

Åke

11 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Just do a new install. NEVER just move files as that almost always leads to tears.

If this is the ONLY way, how must I proceed- uninstall (if yes how?) to avoid a doubble installation i.e. that MS wont accept I presume- and then the Code delivered with my boxed delivery- reuse or do I get a "new" from Microsoft/Aerosoft?

Åke

• Deputy Sheriffs

When you registered yor DVD code, it was tied to your Microsoft Store account. So simply do a fresh install on your new PC, login to your Microsoft store account and your product will still be present.

50 minutes ago, mopperle said:

When you registered yor DVD code, it was tied to your Microsoft Store account. So simply do a fresh install on your new PC, login to your Microsoft store account and your product will still be present.

This is exactly what I do not understand, if I move a SSD disc 500 GB from the present to the new computer, with 113GB MSF on, why should I reinstall 113 GB software already present? I buy that I need to go to the store on the new computer and login with my account, no problem but feeding with 10 discs again to a disc that already have the content?

Åke

• Deputy Sheriffs

The store  (and also Windows) needs to know that you have "updated the installlation. You simply cant say "hello MS store, I have just moved my 500G SSD to a new PC" This is the same with every software. If you dont agree with that, please talk to Microsoft. The installation procedure is not something Aerosoft has control over.

52 minutes ago, mopperle said:

The store  (and also Windows) needs to know that you have "updated the installlation. You simply cant say "hello MS store, I have just moved my 500G SSD to a new PC" This is the same with every software. If you dont agree with that, please talk to Microsoft. The installation procedure is not something Aerosoft has control over.

OK, I understand. I will search the support on MS homepage. I am aware of that this is not your responsibility but wanted  to ask anyway as I bought the box from you.

Thanks anyway

Åke

Now I better understand the problem. Having contacted Microsoft Support on the issue as Mathijs indicated it was a MS topic they replied believing I have downloaded from their store, not having the boxed version. Therefore I think I would need the help from Aerosoft.

Microsoft says I can install simulator on ten(10) different machines...! but my question is more how to Move from one machine to another by physically move the simulator content on a SSD 500GB. My conclusion so far is after having done that I need to reinstall from scratch onto the SSD, perhaps the reading/writing goes quicker than 4 hours as the first time? I was told initially that the Code could only be used one time? How does it fit in what is said above? Please someone tell me how/what to do?

Åke

Archived