Unable to download MSFS Game Launcher from MS Store? Error code: 0x80040154 Last resort post!

Posting this here for advice/input from the community as i've already registered support tickets with https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com
and after 48 hours not heard back from either.  Maybe someone else out there has had and solved this issue.  Thanks.

Hi,

I have purchased MSFS: Standard boxed retail version.  Followed all instructions from the manual, installed all 10 x DVD's (93GB) with no issues to one of my SSD's (Drive 'I' on my PC).  Redeemed License activation through MS Store using the card in the retail box.  

Activation successful and registered on my MS Account. 

I then went to download the Game Launcher from MS Store, it asked me to choose a hard drive with 127 GB or more space which i have done several times, using several different drives with enough space.  

First time download started but then aborted with error message Code: 0x80040154.  Now download doesn't even start, just a pause then back to the Install option in the Store.

Have tried dozens of times but with no luck?  I seem to have 2 possible installations showing in MS Store?

Microsoft Flight Simulator: Standard - Pre-order
Microsoft Flight Simulator

I don't know why there are two possible installs?

I click on the 'Install' buttons but neither works at all after the install drive select option disappears?

So far i have tried:

GPU drivers up to date.
All MS Store apps updated
XBox apps set to Automatic in Windows Services.
Tried setting up new Local User Profile and install, no luck, same problem.
Reset MS Store app.
Beta version of XBox app installed
English (United States) Language pack installed and set as default.
No Nahmic or nVidia Sound devices installed.
Unplugged ALL USB devices.

Also tried all the suggested solutions on both these YT videos:

How to Fix Microsoft Store Not Working | Reinstall Microsoft Store

System specs:
Windows 10 Pro version 2004
i7 9700K @ 5Ghz
32 GB RAM
MSI nVidia GTX 1080Ti
Samsung 1 TB nvMie PCIe SSD
2 x other Samsung SSD's
Windows installed on one of them but not the one the DVD files were installed to.  Do not have enough space on C drive for MSFS.

Having had no luck after 14 hours of trying i have now copied DVD MSFSPackages folder to a portable SSD and uninstalled DVD Content from Windows Apps and Features.

Please can you offer some advice on how to get this software running?  Is there any other means or location to download the Game Launcher from via Microsoft with proof of purchase etc?

Thank you v much.

Please login to display this image.

• Administrator

Hi,

Error codes that start with “0x800” are Microsoft store related, and it's likely the only people that would be able to assist you with resolving this error is the Microsoft store support team. I'd recommend contacting them regarding this.

https://support.microsoft.com/ (Store App tab) (Troubleshoot section)
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/28808/microsoft-store-contact-support

As for having both "Microsoft Flight Simulator: [Version] - Preorder" and "Microsoft Flight Simulator", it is completely normal to have both.

Thanks for the info Tom,

Regrettably I have had no luck with any of the possible links on MS Store support and was unable to contact anyone direct for advice (surprise, suprise!).  Still not had any responses from my Aerosoft ticket, and ZenDesk just sent a canned response with a set of links that i'd already explored at length.

By the looks of the large amount of very negative feedback on the MSFS MS Store purchase page, many people are having either the same or similar issues to myself with download and installation.  Clearly the download/install/launcher side of the game for both digital and boxed versions is in need of fixing.

Its been nearly a week now and no luck with installation and zero respone from any support sources.  I'm shelving the software for a while until its installation can be reliably achieved.

Thanks.

Gent.le Minimi 66 ho lo stesso problema. Non scarica il Launcher e mi chiede 127 GB per l'istallazione. Comunque non istalla il programma ed il codice non può essere più utilizzato . Inoltre mi da il tuo stesso codice di errore. Microsoft mi ha rimandato ad Aerosoft e quest'ultima non risponde. Aspetto ancora domani , poi, per principio, chiederò la restituzione della somma tramite

Edit from Aerosoft: Please do not write your email address inside a public forum!

• Deputy Sheriffs

I dont think that this error is related only to the Microsoft Store. when you Google for it, there are tons of cases where it appears in combination with many programs, even with Office, Outlokk etc.

So it seems to be a generic problem on the effected system.

@minimi66 You said that you pointed to a drive witn enough space on it. But how much space is left on your drive c:?

• Herman locked this topic

Archived