How to clean install MSFS in a new setup?

I built a new PC for MSFS and its confusing as hell to install MSFS

My C Drive is for my OS it has very limited room. Do not want to install anything here if I can help it.

D Drive is a 2TB 2.M SSD for MSFS

so this is what I did. is this right?

When you installed from the store, It asked you where to install and you pointed it to a drive (D drive in mycase). and then when it starts the sim, to download the content it asks you again where to install the content. Why? Does it not know that you have installed the app in some  drive you had picked earlier? Any case, I pointed to the same drive D and it says, no, it needs a folder. So now I am  creating a new sub folder MSFS within the same drive. 

Why?

Is this right? 

Now I have all these folders in Drive D

https://ibb.co/1bx77Y0

could someone please help whats in all those other folders? Some of them are empty

Programfiles?

WindowApps?

WpSystem?

Disclaimer: I have the Boxed Version, so I am not 100% sure how it's exactly being done when only having the download version.

On 22.8.2020 at 23:28, Manny sagte:

Programfiles?

WindowApps?

WpSystem?

To my knowledge these folders are created on a drive when an app (in this case the "Flight Simulator App") is installed on another drive than the OS drive. The content in WindowsApps is locked away (I heard it might contain the .exe file). The content of the flight simulator should be in the WpSystem folder. To be more precise, in the ..\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_...\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore subfolder (it should contain folder names beginning with "asobo-aircraft-..." etc).

So, I think you need to point the content manager to the

WpSystem\...\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_...\LocalCache\Packages

folder. If you've done it right, you should see around 20 GB which need to be updated. The total size of the sim should be around 100 GB after the update.

In my case, since I got the boxed version, I created a folder on my drive (named it "Microsoft Flight Simulator") and installed the dvd content to this folder. Then I installed the launcher from the Microsoft Store on the same drive which created those 3 folders you've mentioned. After starting the sim the content manager appeared and was asking for for the folder to update to. Initially it showed a lot of GB that needed to be downloaded (essentially the base game plus additional content size) which indicates that the path is wrong and it's not detecting the already installed content. After pointing it to my folder which I've created and installed the DVD content to (the "Microsoft Flight Simulator" folder) it recognized the already installed content and only downloaded ~20GB additional content.

All the content (boxed version) is in my folder that I've created (Microsoft Flight Simulator\Official\OneStore).

In your case of a pure download version all the content should be in

WpSystem\...\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_...\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore.

Another Interesting find:

It uses local cache to download bunch of detailed scenery.  It puts it here in your  C drive. Substitute CPGMM with your own User id.

C:\Users\cpgmm\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

go to "General"--> Data-->Rolling Cache Settings

Rolling Cache Path = Directory path where it downloads the scenery data files from the internet

Rolling Cache Limit (GB) = Amount  of Data space it has to cache.

etc.

This is not good if you want to use your C Drive only for OS. It uses the OS Drive even if you install MSFS in D drive.

So I redirected to a new 1 TB SSD on E Drive and for this cache file. And set the cache size to 800GB. It takes its time to relocate and reserve such a large cache file. So be patient and give it time. Go get a coffee or a Bourbon while it does its thing. :)

Loads to learn about this new sim.

:)

Manny

• 3 weeks later...

Installation the Microsoft Flight Simulator.

I have the same problem:

I installed the 10 DVD in a 1TB-drive E\ FS2020 (created by me) instead the default drive C\ User \AppData etc. without problems. C\ for me is only for windows, I’d never installed a SIM in C. and this is generally the case I think.

Then I activated the SIM with my Microsoft account with the 25digit code. Then came a hint I should specify a drive that holds 120GB, so again a complete version that could be seen by X-Box like me?? Confus.!

I indicated  drive M because is was an another big one.

Then, via the content manager, the further installation of another 19 GB (additional. Planes and airports)

No advice in the manual with relation to changing the drive and there are many discussions in the forums,.

Now following Drives and Folder are available:

Drive F

FS2020 (created by me) instead the default C\User\AppData etc.Content:108GB !!

-Community (no content)

-Official

--One Store

----175 folder (aircrafts,airports...100GB)

Drive E

(after the installation of the 10 DVD's I indicated it when a new large Folder was requested,content:(9,8 GB)

Programm Files

Windows Apps (no access)

WpSystem

The Sim is running, no problems at this time, the Update 14 are installed without problems

In Settings/Apps are 2 Apps available: Drive E- Microsoft Flight Simulator 0,98GB- move possible,

Drive F- Microsoft Flight Simulator-DVD content,change possible.

Have I anything to correct because the SIM is stored on 2  Drives??

Regards

Allow me to take this one step further, please?

I have been installing boxed versions of flight simulator for more years than I care to remember. MSFS did NOT allow me to install the the dvds into a location of my choice. I have a new computer for MSFS and wanted to install it on my D drive, but it would only allow it to install to the default. I have tried this twice now.

The MSFSPackages folder holding the Community folder is populating very quickly with developer's material for MSFS. Probably, like most computers now, the C drive has limited space while the D drive has well over a TB+. I used a Link Shell Extension, Junction, to place the MSFSPackages folder on my D drive. Now when I populate the Community folder in D it also populated in C, thus defeating the exercise to not have anymore items going to MSFSPackages on the C drive:(

Mathijs, I am looking at that "zendesk" text, for the "change where new content is saved", but what exactly does this imply with the content that is already saved on "C" in my case? I ask this because for the "move an app to a different drive" has an implication in that there are two apps for MSFS shown: Microsoft Flight Simulator showing as 0.98GB, with the second one Microsoft Flight Simulator - DVD Content showing as 101GB. The former allows you to move/uninstall it, but the latter only allows you to modify/uninstall it. The modify takes you to the MS Store.

What happens if I move the former, as it is only 0.98GB, what exactly is being moved?

Coming back to the MSFSPackages folder in D. If I delete that folder, it will also delete it in C!

I really need to understand the mechanics of this, by someone who knows about the boxed version.

Thanks

Martin

32 minutes ago, sauviat said:

Allow me to take this one step further, please?

I have been installing boxed versions of flight simulator for more years than I care to remember. MSFS did NOT allow me to install the the dvds into a location of my choice.

I am sorry Martin,

but this is not correct

- I did the same August 18th as my boxed version arrived and the alternative destination during my installation went perfectly: a separate SSD-disc with the name "B". All Package content went there i.e. 101 GB, in addition a MSF folder was created under Appdata for my particular installation. 

Today a new computer of latest stand arrive. I am still not clear over how to "move" this installation so I have decided to take it from scratch and do a "new" installation with all on C disc ( also SSD).

Åke

Please login to display this image.

Please login to display this image.

• Aerosoft
46 minutes ago, sauviat said:

I really need to understand the mechanics of this, by someone who knows about the boxed version.

All these things are exactly the same for the boxed, Steam and MS Store versions.  So the guide suggested is still valid. If you need more information there is only one party that can assist, Microsoft.

Thank you for responding - it has become a Catch22 scenario:)

I am uninstalling MSFS and and will look very closely at the reinstall. I will acknowledge what happens afterwards. To be safe I have moved the Community folder to another PC, so that I have not lost that work.

The issue was taken up two ago with Microsoft - they have not responded!

Martin

I remember that during the installation when I was asked where to place it and I pointed at the separate SSD disc B:\ it didnt accept this before I wrote "B:\MSFSPackages" - then it started the 3,5 h installation of 10 discs.

4 minutes ago, Akki said:

I remember that during the installation when I was asked where to place it and I pointed at the separate SSD disc B:\ it didnt accept this before I wrote "B:\MSFSPackages" - then it started the 3,5 h installation of 10 discs.

Thanks, preparing now. Couldn't find the cfgs for my controller set up - had many profiles there.

Martin

I have now started to reinstall MSFS! Firstly, I was allowed to install onto my D Drive. No excuses, but I do have an issue, after eye surgery in both eyes a couple of years ago, which left my grey scale impaired. I did not see the Browse text as it was not clear for me. Now that I have finally been able to move forward, perhaps I now do not have to worry about disc space.

I would like to know where the CFG is stored for the controller bindings. Any ideas?

Thanks

Martin

It's not straightforward...

Got to disc 2 and the install failed and CTD. It mentioned a system error - the uninstallation seemed to have left fragments scattered.

I have now reverted to a previous restore point.

Martin

Having gone back with a restore point I have tried again to reinstall. This time it takes me to the MS Store, as it cannot install at all.

I have given feedback to MS, but my computer thinks it is already installed.

Real help is needed, as it is to do with leftover fragments from the uninstallation process.

Martin

• Aerosoft
3 hours ago, sauviat said:

Real help is needed...

And the only party with enough information to assist here is Microsoft. We do not have a complete list of what is installed where and we do not have a manual full removal guide.

Mathijs, I have sent MS, via zendesk a long explanation, including that Aerosoft told me to contact them directly. This saves them to respond to contact Aerosoft. Can I copy you on what I sent, as it is deeper that what the problem I indicated here. It will not allow me to reinstall!

Thanks

Martin

• Aerosoft

Feel free to do so, and we'll try to help, but please accept we simply can not support something like this. We did not create that part of the code and we simply do NOT know what is happening. We just do not know.

A lot of people think we are know a lot more then what they do, but unfortunately that is not always the case. 

Martin ParrToday at 18:32

I have installed Premium Deluxe by disc. It has been running OK since I initially installed just after launch date. Until now. I have communicated with Aerosoft who have instructed me to contact Microsoft directly about the issue.

The initial dvds were installed to the default location om my C Drive, but the online material was downloaded to my D drive. It's a new computer with the C Drive has limited capacity for what was to be installed.

The MSFSPackages folder, specifically the Community folder, was being populated with developer mods, but I could see that in time my C Drive would run out of space. Therefore I created a Junction to plave the MSFSPackages folder onto my D Drive. However, I found that when the Community folder was being populated, so was the one on C Drive. This then defeated the object of the exercise of making use of the D Drive over that of the C Drive.

It was now necessary to uninstall MSFS and reinstall it on to my D Drive. I do have a vision impairment with the grey scale and had not noticed there was the option to browse to install where one wanted to. Hence I want to rectify this.

Having uninstalled, I tried to reinstall. It go as far as Disc #2, having been directed to my D Drive and a CTD occurred. On further examination I could not understand the issue. I undertook a system restore back to last week and recommenced the reinstallation

This time, having reinstalled Disc #1 and let it run, the MS Store opened and said MSFS was already installed!!! No it's not installed. This went on after a number of tries to reinstall. My library is showing Launch

I am now stuck and locked out of reinstalling MSFS. Please provide a solution as I am also sure there must be fragments of the original uninstall with the MSFS uninstaller.

I have just spent a vast sum on an OMEN 30L PC, Thrustmaster Pendular peddals, Warthog Hotas throttle and joystick, approaching GBP5000, including the Premium Deluxe Boxed version. With Aerosoft telling me to goto you directly, please assist me as soon as is possible.

Thankyou
Martin Parr

In this way concluding my wish to reinstall MSF to a new computer- I have the last weeks made several posts on this topic at Aerosoft support pages.

However, last night I succeded to make the "redeem" process but in a way I originally didnt wanted to and furthermore I had no idea what was going on....I gave up my initial plan to physically move a separate disc (SSD) as nobody could give me a tip on how to set it up in relation to Microsoft store and the previous original installation on a to weak (old) computer.

So I went with Mathijs suggestions at several occations - just "reinstall" (make a new fresh installation)  being aware of being logged on to the Microsoft/Xbox account similar to the original first installation.

Well.

After 4 hours with the 10 discs on the new platform a peculiar process started with white screens of different character, I would call the Dead Ends, didnt understand what was going in. No straight forward process at all. But in some miracoules way I manage to complete the installation on my own discretion by putting disc one (1) into the DVD-player and after some back and -forward screens the store confirmed Installed/owned and started the 20 GB download + 5GB update, another hour or so.

This was the nice version of explanation of what I did last night....

I am glad that I finally managed and impressed over its function in a real environment. Stunning simply. 

Today I tried to buy an airport from the Marketplace without success - malfunction-nothing happens... but I guess this is a topic for some other forum,

Åke

Mathijs: Strange happenings last night!

In the MS Store there was nothing there on any previous installation. later I looked again and there were 2 items, Microsoft Flight Simulator stating launch, and Microsoft Flight Simulator: Premium deluxe Preorder stating manage.

I launched as stated and the process went on during the night. At launch, this morning, I noticed in the Content Manager that there was Core Content - Mandatory Packages - By Asobo Studio for 80.74GB, relaunch the game to update. I tried this several times and it will not install!

How do I know if the boxed version has been installed, what can I look for to verify this? One thing I noted is that in the tree structure, is that in WpSystem, under Packages, Microsoft.FlightSimulater_RANDOMLETTERSNUMBERS there is no SystemAppData folder with Helium and wgs folders. The latter is important as it has files with the controllers configurations in it!

Therefore, I would be grateful if you could tell me how to get (a) the mandatory package of 80.74GB and (b) what I should look for to see if the dvd content has been installed?

Thanks

Martin

22 minutes ago, sauviat said:

I launched as stated and the process went on during the night. At launch, this morning, I noticed in the Content Manager that there was Core Content - Mandatory Packages - By Asobo Studio for 80.74GB, relaunch the game to update. I tried this several times and it will not install!

Martin, I guess we all have this message in the Content manager. 

It is the basic material from the CDs, if there is an update or similar available it will automatically perform an update next time you launch the simulator.

In addition below there is a list of additional installations which was downloaded automatically from the net as the CD installation was completed, in my case another 20GB. Finally another 5 GB was added before the installation was finalized.

Downloaded addons, for instance liveries you place simply in the Community folder below the Packages.

Akki, fortunately, I saved my Community folder on another computer and will move them across when I know the installation is stable.

Are you saying that the boxed material has not been installed? In the previous install when everything was running smoothly, there was nothing outstanding in the content manager.

Martin

43 minutes ago, sauviat said:

Are you saying that the boxed material has not been installed? In the previous install when everything was running smoothly, there was nothing outstanding in the content manager.

Martin

No I am not saying that- I explained that this is how it looks default, showing the CD content after a completed installation. If there will be a update available it will do that automatically by next restart.

Archived