London Heathrow 2008 FS9 Memory problems

Shermann

I'm sure it may be like that.

However: a moment ago I recreated the same flight which ended up with the OMM error before. Arriving at Heathrow with everything full.

Same time, same weather, same amount of traffic (100%). Also VC+TrackIR4. The only change was: PMDG 747-400 into Level-D 767-300ER.

Guess what? NO PROBLEM!

I'm not saying I've caught the bandit (PMDG 744) but it clearly needs some more investigation.

As I said, the problem for me appeared after installing PMDG 744.

So am I! Oliver is magician so it's just a question of time.

That is very good, however I know well how much compromises hurt.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Best regards,

Rafal

The OOM error is hit and miss in some cases. It has to do with the way a program uses memory. I'm no expert and someone can correct me if I'm wrong but from the way I was reading it over at Phil Taylors Blog was like this.

This user VA memory is allocated in "chunks", so say the PMDG needs 512 and then at another point it needs 768, and then it only needs 512 again, the unused memory gets gobbled up and kept by the program even if the program is not using it, up to a certain point when it will give back a chunk. I never learned what that chunk size is mind you.

And this expalins alot of the reason why some get errors and some do not. I think you will find that as more and more people use memory intensvie add on's more and more will have this problem. The AVSIM forums are flooded with people having OOM errors.

I think that the LVD will not cause OOM errors as frequently as say PMDG you will get one.

The first plane I had an OOM error with was the Coolsky MD80. I could fly my PMDG 747 all over the world at one point, but not the super 80.

I'm also having problems with the PMDG 747/Aerosoft Heathrow combo.

I'm getting the OOM error at exactly the same point every time I'm on the approach to 27R.

Surely it must be related to something specific in the scenery as opposed to a random occurence. I use the 747 everywhere else without a problem. Even more strange is the fact that this has only just started to happen as I have been happily making the same approach many times previously without any problems. I have also not installed anything new recently.

Any help will be gratefully received by all of us I'm sure !!

Jonny

• Developer

Just for information: Did you update the 747 with the latest PMDG patch released at May, 12th?

If not it should be worth to try. The CTD´s with PMDG 747 at EGLL (or other) is somehow related to navigation aids (ILS,VOR) as I experienced

As soon as you capture a glideslope or a specific NAV frequency becomes active it could crash.

Thorsten

Just for information: Did you update the 747 with the latest PMDG patch released at May, 12th?

If not it should be worth to try. The CTD´s with PMDG 747 at EGLL (or other) is somehow related to navigation aids (ILS,VOR) as I experienced

As soon as you capture a glideslope or a specific NAV frequency becomes active it could crash.

Thorsten

I did install the update - as it happens I've just uninstalled it as I thought maybe that was what was causing the problem. I'm going to give it a go again this evening without the patch and will report back....

Unfortunately during my OOM crashes described above I was flying with the latest patch.

For now I'm tired with stressful testing, so my 747-400 was towed back to the hangar.

So it's time to fly twin-engines again. Not that I mind...

There is something in the PMDG programming that doesn't like mega hubs, especially Heathrow.

I know some simmers (like alstiff) were getting the errors in various aircraft.

But for me it was (and hopefully that wii remain) only PMDG 744.

Best regards,

Rafal

• Developer

@VORJAB

a suggestion: Rename the AFCAD AF2_EGLL.BGL file of Heathrow to *.OFF (better move it to a directory outside FS)

and try again. As I said before it is in most cases a problem of NAV installation in combination with 744. Removing the AFcad file will set back all navaids to default (for testing). Please make also sure that you are NOT using any other custom AFCAd file for EGLL.

It could be that a custom AFCAD file (London Heathrow which uses the SAME frequencies for both RWY ends which is extraordinary) causes some problems with the 744 radios.

Beside that switch Ai to 0% for testing to asure that not a specific corrupted AI aircraft that ONLY in London appears is causing that trouble.

3GB patch etc. must be correctly installed if using more than 2 GB RAM on 32bit XP!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is nothing "special" in EGLL scenery itself that could cause an aircraft CTD. Just 3D data and textures. The only "communicating to aircraft" file that comes with the scenery is the AFCAD. And the AFCAD provides place for Ai aircrafts that possibly wont show up at other places.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, man.

My OOM errors are back! It was solved for a while, and now I again can't finish a PMDG744 flight back into Heathrow.

Two things (only, I think) have changed. 1) Bought a new 26' widescreen monitor, and now fly in 1920 x 1200 resolution. 2) Installed FSX, just to check it out.

What now, I wonder...?

I have had an out of memory problem with Heathrow 2008 in FS9 as well. I can start a flight from EGLL but if I try tofly to EGLL in a fairly complex aircraft ie, PMDG 747 I get the OOM, even if I am flying close to EGLL I will get the error.

At first I thought it was specifically the PMDG 747 but I had a similar OOM when flying the FLight1 ATR to EGLC when I came within about 40 nm of EGLL I got an OOM, I have repeated the flight a few times but disabled EGLL and had no OOM. I also had began a long haul flight with the PMDG 747 from EHAM and while climbing to cruise flew close to EGLL and had an OOM. After all of this I have disabled EGLL and have no OOM in the area.

One thing I did find was that if flying into EGLL in the 747 and the OOM occurs I could still save the flight. The flight would then reload successfully with the saved panel state and I could continue the landing at EGLL.

My observation is that if flying a fairly complex aircraft into Heathrow 2008 when FS9 loads the scenery an OOM is caused, this OOM does not occur if Heathrow is loaded initially ie starting a flight there.

Recently I have also had this occur with the new frankfurt scenery and the PMDG 747, both times I saved the flight after the OOM, restarted and landed succesfully.

By the way I tried the 3GB switch but couldn't get it to work successfully on my system.

Dave

I just had a successful flight, believe it or not. Maybe too early to tell...

The only thing I changed: FSUIPC TCAS monitoring. It was set to monitor 100, for some reason. I set it to 10 and did not get an OOM error. (Under the PMDG drop down menu in FS2004, in the options window)

I''l do some more testing and see if this stands up. I'd appreciate it if others with the same problem try it as well...

The PMDG 744 even with the latest patch for it with FS9.1 is just a OOM lover. I can fly the 744 into some Fly-Tampa stuff and default stuff but that is it. For the most part, the 744 is never flown because of the OOM errors. If you want a flight to end with no OOM into places like EGLL and EDDF (the newest sceneries), just do not use the 744 like me. I fly the PSS777 and LVL-D 767 for the most part. I only hope the upcoming FS9 version of the MD11 from PMDG is no where like the resource hog 744 is.

Eric, I share you thoughts and I also replaced 744 into 763 for my London and Frankfurt arrivals. No OOM so far.

However, one more thing I have to research is the navigational thread Thorsten mentioned.

I've bought credits for Navigraph and I may give PMDG another try to London (when I feel like) with the latest AIRAC.

I wonder if it changes anything.

And I see you were lucky to backup your files before PSS did the trick of cutting their customers off their purchased products.

I wasn't and, even though I made a review for this bird, I was left on the ice.

A pity since there could be a nice merge after Posky releases their tripple seven.

Best regards,

Rafal

EDIT:

PSS has made their customer files downloadable again. I downloaded the basepack and liveries last night. I'm a happy 777 pilot again. :)

So, if there's anybody else who had no acces to their files, go and get them!

• 2 weeks later...

Last update, as this thread is practically dead.

Seems no joy for PMDG 747-400 and Heathrow 2008, at 1920 x 1200. Constant OOM errors, without fail. After everything I have tried (going on months now) I have not been able to isolate the problem, and have no clear idea what it might be, despite pulling apart and reassembling by fs2004 installation. Further, no one seems to have any clear ideas of what the problem truly is; duplicate AFCADs, missing texture files, page file size, driver updates, etc., etc. Filemon has given hints, but no real leads. I am totally without recourse now, but to choose between EGLL and the PMDG 747-400...

As a last observation I have seen many people with higher end nVidia cards (such as my 9800GX2) and multicore systems (such as my quadcore, 2.4 Q6600) have this same problem, with no solutions. Perhaps we've pushed fs2004 beyond it's limits? No one can say for sure...

The crashes are only partly related to the PMDG 747.

Flew into EGLL yesterday using an ifdg/PSS merged airplane, had no problems landing on 27L. Today with the CS757 two crashes at the very same spot on final to 9L.

As mentioned several times already taking off from EGLL is ok.

And btw. I do have the 3GB switch activated.

Oliver

this problem is located to the PMDG 747... Very unfriendly for third party airports such like EGLL... It will not happen if you fly the Level-D oder any other plance... Complex system cause Complex problems... If they try to fix this the fall back arround 50% to the reality...

If this works Aerosoft might want to include a utility for this fix that determines viability and calculates the numbers accordingly, and then applies the boot.ini rewrite. Then again, that could just be a huge can of worms...

No thanks! I get upset when the fundamental parts of my system start being "tweaked" by 3rd parties. <_<

This occurs (for me) with other aircraft than just the PMDG 744. I don't believe they all suffer the same faults. The common point is the scenery. <_<

A good point ref the Level-D 767. I'm going to re-fly this route with that and shall see what happens. There goes another 11 hours...

Despite my moaning however, I do like this scenery a lot!! :D

Best regards,

Robin.

A good point ref the Level-D 767. I'm going to re-fly this route with that and shall see what happens. There goes another 11 hours...

Despite my moaning however, I do like this scenery a lot!! :D

Yeah, no kidding! We must love this scenery a lot to waste this much time trying to use it! I estimate 40+ hrs so far.

- daniel

Just did the same flight LFMN to EGLL 9L that crashed twice yesterday again, however this time without AI traffic and AES disabled.

It worked fine, no crash nor memory problem. Plane was the CS757 as yesterday.

Oliver

I've just returned with the Level-D 767, and no issues.

The other aircraft I've definitely had a CTD with just flying circuits is the LSH MD82.

Yeah, no kidding! We must love this scenery a lot to waste this much time trying to use it!

:P

Best regards,

Robin.

OOM flight of the day...

KSFO - EGLL

Heathrow 2008 is the ONLY scenery I have installed in all of southern England.

Once again OOM descending through 6000', 10 - 15 nm from EGLL. PMDG 747-400, ILS rwy27R, BNN transition.

Page file at 1.4G, of 4G set. Physical memory usage aprox 80% of 2G.

Yeah, I've been searching for bad landclass files for months now... good luck finding them. FSManager is the only program I know that will point to, and offer to move, landclass files. But it's not bulletproof in the least (can actually mess up your installation a bit).

Filemon will give you clues, but has me chasing my tail most of the time (tells you what texture files it's looking for, but not which .bgl called for them).

There just may be serious issues with fs2004 and new, hig-end graphic cards...

Still, thanks, I'll follow the thread. Nothing he's turned up has as yet worked for me, but at least it's eliminated a few...

Hey everyone, a little good news.

I have completed a flight from KSFO to EGLL (my sure-fire OOM error before). The change made: a defrag of the pagefile.sys file.

How I did this; set page file none and reboot, then reset page file to whatever setting you require (usually 1.5 to 2 x RAM, I believe, as a rule of thumb) and reboot.

Or you might just use this (use this to check pagefile for fragments anyway)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb897426.aspx

Worked once, but the proof will be in the fourth of fifth consecutive successful flight.

- daniel

p.s. So, so far my solution to OOMs is; 3G switch, and a pagefile.sys defrag.

The /3Gb might just be delaying the memory leak inducing OOME.

I'm in a good position in that I've got a clean FS install, so I can be judicious in checking for landclass for every scenery I install.

Pleased you seem to be OOME-free! :D

Best regards,

Robin.