London Heathrow 2008 FS9 Memory problems

Shermann

Hi Guys !!

Since i have installed the Heathrow scenery i am not able to end a flight in the london area. Departing from heathrow directed to other airport there is no problem if the flight is to Heathrow once i am near the lkondon area or sometimes near the airport or in final i have a memory error telling me to clean up the disk . Hoew can i solve the problem? Thnaks

Alfredo

Hi !! My system Spec is Intel core 2 CPU 66002.40 GHz 2 GB RAm Nvidia GEforce 8800GTX Windows XP Sp 2. FS9.1..

I hiope i diodnt forget anything :)

Thanks for ur answer

Alfredo

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

i had today the same problem.

I was in the descent to Heathrow from Dubai and then came this (****) massage :)

It was not sooooooo heavy because i had done a save in the descent out of my PMDG B744 but it is not so reality..

Regarts!

• 2 months later...

I have the same problems, but it seems to be 09L with the PMDG 744. I've tried everything to no avail, but would like to suggest it might be the newest PMDG AIRAC. Is this possible?

My specs;

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4)

nVidia 9800GX2

2G RAM

- daniel

Hi Shaun,

Did as you asked today and fly a circuit with no problem. I then entered in an EGLL-EGLL into the FMC flight plan to see if that worked. It did, but I'm not sure the FMC was fully engaged. Will try a short hop (LFPG-EGLL) in the near future to see if it still doesn't crash.

I also have (just before you answered my post) used some programs to clean up any landclass or possible stray AFCADs, which I know can be brutal for OOM. Had a few that might explain it, though still I must say it only crashed in the PMDG with EGLL.

BTW: FS9.1 with XP Pro, Ultimate Terrain Europe, UK2000 scenery and a host of others.

Another crash coming from KLAX to Heathrow in the PMDG 747. This time the source was 'unknown', which was not very helpful at all. I got on the ground this time, was just exiting the runway, when I used the hat to look right. Wham! CTD. At least it wasn't a OOM problem though.

• 2 weeks later...

I had suspected UT Europe of being a culprit so I removed it completely. I still had an OOM error when flying the PMDG 747-400 into Heathrow. Very, very discouraging... Just can't seem to complete a flight into Heathrow 2008 with the PMDG 747!

What's my next step? I suppose removing Heathrow 2008, sadly...

It always seems to happen when I fly the BNN1D SID into 09L (with the 'without radar control' chart; Jeppesen 10-2G, 18-NOV-05)=

Co-ordinates: BNN, BNN180/5, LAM268/30, LAM268/34, GWC001/39, IAF 09L.

Probably doesn't help, but a shot in the dark...

The OOM errors have nothing to do with how much RAM you have.

FSX Developer Phil Taylor explain how RAM works in a windows environment in this thread.

http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...ress-space.aspx

When you use complex airplanes and complex scenery, lumped in with Active Sky running and so on, your going to get OOM errors. It's a combination of using so much memory intensive add on. The way windows (more so XP) allocates the blocks will cause the error.

With that the 3GB "fix" has cured my OOM errors in FS9 (I don't fly FSX very much).

I have yet to have an OOM since flying with it......

Yeah, I've been looking at this for some time now. I wasn't sure if you HAD to have more than 2Gs to implement it or not. But I guess not. I'll give it a try (although I've read that there can be problems...)

What kind of surprises me is that I ran all these programs (with the exception of Heathrow 2008) on my P4 2.8Mhz, with 2G memory with no OOM errors for years, and now I'm having problems on my new rig. Seems crazy to me, but...

Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a go and report back.

Yeah, I've been looking at this for some time now. I wasn't sure if you HAD to have more than 2Gs to implement it or not. But I guess not. I'll give it a try (although I've read that there can be problems...)

What kind of surprises me is that I ran all these programs (with the exception of Heathrow 2008) on my P4 2.8Mhz, with 2G memory with no OOM errors for years, and now I'm having problems on my new rig. Seems crazy to me, but...

Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a go and report back.

Just so you know Crash, the FSX team applied the fix to the FSX.exe in SP2. They are that confident it fixes most of the OOM problems. You would still need to edit your boot ini to have the fix work though.

Using Phil's suggestions I have come up with this formula:

4096 - 768 (needed for the system) - (your video card ram) = your "USERVA" number for your boot ini.

I would start with the default suggested value of 2560 and if you do find your having anomalies (some report slow loading textures) try different values in blocks of 64.

Well... one flight down, no problems. San Fran to Heathrow - which was a dead sure OOM before - worked flawlessly. My vid card has 1G so I applied your equation [4096 - 768 - 1024 = 2304]. Seems to work just fine. I'll keep testing.

If this works Aerosoft might want to include a utility for this fix that determines viability and calculates the numbers accordingly, and then applies the boot.ini rewrite. Then again, that could just be a huge can of worms...

Thanks altstiff for your help, I really appreciate it.

• 1 month later...

Bloody...

The time has finally come for me to fly PMDG 747-400 to Heathrow (Heathrow 2008) on my new machine.

While approaching RWY27L I heard 'bang!' and the FS9 froze. I minimized to Windows only to see the OOM error message.

I've flown other machines to EGLL before without problems (LVLD 763 and FT737).

I'm using FS9.1. Anyone there who used to have the problem but finally cured it for good?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Would be nice to fly 747 to Heathrow without stress.

As for the mentioned 3GB fix (which I don't really understand) - is it the same which causes AES problems?

If so, I would never sacrifice AES for one scenery (EGLL).

Sorry if I mixed up things but looks like I'm new to the problem and a bit confused.

Best regards,

Rafal

Bloody...

The time has finally come for me to fly PMDG 747-400 to Heathrow (Heathrow 2008) on my new machine.

While approaching RWY27L I heard 'bang!' and the FS9 froze. I minimized to Windows only to see the OOM error message.

I've flown other machines to EGLL before without problems (LVLD 763 and FT737).

I'm using FS9.1. Anyone there who used to have the problem but finally cured it for good?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Would be nice to fly 747 to Heathrow without stress.

As for the mentioned 3GB fix (which I don't really understand) - is it the same which causes AES problems?

If so, I would never sacrifice AES for one scenery (EGLL).

Sorry if I mixed up things but looks like I'm new to the problem and a bit confused.

Best regards,

Rafal

Rafal, this "fix" is the same one that causes errors in AES. The problem being that the modeuls AES uses can only call on memory from the original 2GB, if the memory needed for AES falls outside that your going to get the error.

I couldn't fly for more than an hour with out getting the OOM error so this 3GB fix is a must have for me. When you run Ultimate Terrain, add on texture packages (FE and GEP) then Active sky into a well done airport like EGLL in a complex PMDG type plane, it bogs the system.

Crash, glad you got it sorted ;)

Thanks for your reply, altstiff!

Of course you're right saying that complex simulation is heavy and may cause problems.

However, since I bought my new PC I've made a lot of flights using all the addons you mentioned.

I had no OOM erros at all. I was mainly flying 767-300ER by Level-D, also from/to EGLL.

Also to other large hubs like EDDF, EHAM, LSZH, LFPG, LIMC, LOWW, EFHK, UUDD.

The strange fact is that, in the sense of fluency, Heathrow 2008 gives me better frames than EDDF or LFPG.

Two days ago I dusted off my 747-400 by PMDG and made a flight to Heathrow.... and bang!

Looks like the combination of the aircraft and the scenery. I'm wondering now which one to avoid in my next flights.

If the 3GB fix is the one interfering wth AES, I will omit it since this was my first case of OOM on the new rig.

Flying to non-AESed airports doesn't give me so much enjoyment unless there is no choice (read: no AES for them).

Best regards,

Rafal

Just to report: I've now another FS9 termination.

This time however I was approaching not Heathrow but Frankfurt (MAF2008) after a short test flight from Tegel.

I was flying in PMDG 747-400 in VC (with TrackIR4). The black screen came on final approach with aerodrome already in sight.

That makes me wonder and want to ask you, pilots:

Did you experience the problem only with PMDG 747-400? And if so, was it in VC or also with the 2D panel?

And if also in other planes and airports - which ones for example?

Just like alstiff I'm surprised since I didn't suffer the problem on my older much weaker PC.

Sorry for asking but I would like to use others' experience if possible.

I see no fun in the perspective of making tens of test flights with possible OOMs. :(

Thanks in advance if anyone drops a line.

Best regards,

Rafal

Just to report: I've now another FS9 termination.

This time however I was approaching not Heathrow but Frankfurt (MAF2008) after a short test flight from Tegel.

I was flying in PMDG 747-400 in VC (with TrackIR4). The black screen came on final approach with aerodrome already in sight.

That makes me wonder and want to ask you, pilots:

Did you experience the problem only with PMDG 747-400? And if so, was it in VC or also with the 2D panel?

And if also in other planes and airports - which ones for example?

Just like alstiff I'm surprised since I didn't suffer the problem on my older much weaker PC.

Sorry for asking but I would like to use others' experience if possible.

I see no fun in the perspective of making tens of test flights with possible OOMs. :(

Thanks in advance if anyone drops a line.

Best regards,

Rafal

Like I said, this problem will happen when you push FS9. No matter what plane.

I have had this occur in the LVD 767, F1 Super 80, Wilco 737 and of course the PMDG planes (both the 747 and the 737).

When you run so many add on's the game becomes very memory intensive.

I must use the 3GB patch or I get the OOM errors. The only draw back is the fact I can't use AES. It came down to choices for me. Fly stock airplanes and use AES. Or fly complex stuff and go with no AES. Not to mention I can max the heck out of everything now the the 3GB patch installed.

I have my fibgers crossed Oliver will come up with a soloution to the AES/3 GB problem.

I would also like to add, using the 3GB has CURED the OOM errors for me.

No matter what plane

I'm sure it may be like that.

However: a moment ago I recreated the same flight which ended up with the OMM error before. Arriving at Heathrow with everything full.

Same time, same weather, same amount of traffic (100%). Also VC+TrackIR4. The only change was: PMDG 747-400 into Level-D 767-300ER.

Guess what? NO PROBLEM!

I'm not saying I've caught the bandit (PMDG 744) but it clearly needs some more investigation.

As I said, the problem for me appeared after installing PMDG 744.

I have my fingers crossed Oliver will come up with a soloution to the AES/3 GB problem

So am I! Oliver is magician so it's just a question of time.

I would also like to add, using the 3GB has CURED the OOM errors for me.

That is very good, however I know well how much compromises hurt.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Best regards,

Rafal