Alaex

Flight controls are sensitive as hell

Just like almost everyone else, i bought the new Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. I am actually planning to buy the honeycomb flight yoke but since it seems to be out of stock almost everywhere, i am sitting here with my joystick "Flight Hotas X" which i liked when i was flying the Aerosoft Airbus 320 on Prepar3D.

With the joystick its almost impossible for me to take off from the runway. When i rotate the joystick in order to control the rudder, just a minimal tiny movement moves the nose very strongly to the side.
Same for the Y-axis. Its almost impossible for me to make controlled inputs... i tried different sensitivity settings but it still pretty much sucks.

Does any one here has some ideas? or am i the only one experiencing this strange behaviour?

Thanks for the video but it's actually doing nothing for me. I know how to set the "flaps up" button to my joystick.

I just find it impossible to fly with those sensitivity options.

With sensitivity on 0 % and me moving the joystick just a little bit to the right for example the airplane moves like crazy.
With a sensitivity setting in the - 50 % regions that gets better but when i move the joystick further than a certain point, it moves so strongly its just odd. Maybe i can show you this in a video...

• Like 1

There are some quotes i found from another forum which describe very well what i was experiencing:

"This is even more relevant to pitch. You can set the flight model so the nose bobs up and down like a yo-yo with very little stick movement (which is the case in nearly all of the default aircraft) but once that initial crazy motion stops the rest of the rise in pitch can be quite mild, giving the illusion that pitch is not so strong and that positive G is within the true range. But that initial bobbing up and down is making the most significant part of control (the first part) the worst section of movement. That is why you could set the stick to -90% sensitivity but you are still going to get that ridiculous bobbing up and down.

This is probably the worst problem with the default aircraft. Even with the tiniest elevator input at low sensitivity you are still getting a large amount of elasticity in movement. This is a schoolboy error in flight model design caused by too little attention to short term pitch oscillation. The other oscillation is phugoid, which means that even a trimmed aircraft at almost constant speed has a tendency to slowly fall and then rise in pitch if the speed even very slightly increases or decreases, and you get a low frequency porpoising.

In yaw it is different but just as bad. With the rudder controls set again to very low sensitivity what's happening is that people are noticing that p factor or other forces (cross wind) are making it difficult to keep straight. So they input some slight opposite rudder to the drift, but as they are on low sensitivy, nothing happens, so they then apply more rudder and suddenly they on the exponentially rising curve of their sensitivity settings. And also suddenly a huge amount of rudder kicks in. "

-> https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/580858-why-adjusting-control-sensitivity-is-not-the-answer/page/7/

The sensitivity is out of control. It's ridiculous.

I can't fly it with a Joystick. 

1 hour ago, Manny said:

The sensitivity is out of control. It's ridiculous.

I can't fly it with a Joystick. 

We have never seen that in any of the beta;'s we had and  everybody here in the office seems to be fine. Are you sure your controller is correctly calibrated? It sounds like it is has very little range.

• Like 1

Had the same with my Xbox controller, but it is very good flyable after dialing back sensitivity settings to -50% and a small deadzone of 20% in my case.

Have you checked your curve settings for the axis? Had the same with the default profile with my Warthog HOTAS - swas screwed up after installation and after resetting it it was just fine. Or, as mentioned by Mathijs, I'd go back to the windows calibration and start from there.

I have the sensitivity of the

x-axis at -30 for Aileron

y-axis at -30 for Elevator Pitch

z-Axis at -40 for rudder

I managed to work reasonable with the above to fly the aircraft

But the Power is now my problem

Slider X- axis  at 3 (this is assigned to the Throttle) and it doesn't move when I increase the aircraft throttle in VC when I move my Joystick throttle. And after I move it to 60% it starts moving and increases rapidly on the VC on the aircraft. same when I pull back from its 100% position to reduce. 

I found that the x-slider was not calibrated. This is done outside the sim. Win 10 level. Joystick caliberation.  My old sim setup had this working for such a long time, I had forgotten about this completely.   I did that and still  it was not quite right. the base point was somewhere in the middle of my throttle h/w The first half was for 0 to max (Positive power) and the bottom half was for 0 to -max (for reverse engine thrust) like in Turbo prop.  Not quite there...Hmmm... Its a little tricky.

I figured out the problem with the Throttle going either 0 power or 100% power..nothing inbetween

Do not assign throttle increase and decrease thingi.

Assign Throttle 1 Axis and Throttle 2 Axis to the same throttle h/w x-Slider Axis,  if you do not have two separate throttle for two engines. This way the throttle works for single engine and twin engine aircrafts... and it is smooth. It has "reverse"  option in case you need it.

Now I have all of these working properly using my Joystick MS Sidewinder.

z-Axis at -40 for rudder

Slider X- axis - Assigned to both  Throttle 1 Axis and Throttle 2 Axis

14 hours ago, Manny said:

I figured out the problem with the Throttle going either 0 power or 100% power..nothing inbetween

Do not assign throttle increase and decrease thingi.

Assign Throttle 1 Axis and Throttle 2 Axis to the same throttle h/w x-Slider Axis,  if you do not have two separate throttle for two engines. This way the throttle works for single engine and twin engine aircrafts... and it is smooth. It has "reverse"  option in case you need it.

Now I have all of these working properly using my Joystick MS Sidewinder.

z-Axis at -40 for rudder

Slider X- axis - Assigned to both  Throttle 1 Axis and Throttle 2 Axis

Great Manny, these are also my settings for the Logitech Freedom 2.4 joystick. It was tricky but without a "manual" we are left with "Learning by doing".

Åke

• Like 1

I use an Honeycomb and the TFRP Pedals. Aileron on the Honeycomb ist fine, because it has a long Travel 180°. Stabilizer i have -20, and for the Rudder also.

For the rudder it was essential to calibrate them in Windows, they where quite a bit off.

Also in real world planes (GA) you doesn't make that great movements with the yoke. Especially with rising velocity    

I have the same problem with the yokes. I use the Opencockpits B737 Captains Yoke 2-Pro. It's impossible to fly. Have somebody the same yoke an knows an solution? 

On 28.8.2020 at 23:00, SteffenZ sagte:

I have the same problem with the yokes. I use the Opencockpits B737 Captains Yoke 2-Pro. It's impossible to fly. Have somebody the same yoke an knows an solution? 

Always make sure to set your axis to the AXIS control, not to the button "aileron left/right" etc assignment... It seems this is possible and has caught many people.

• Upvote 2