Aerosoft Aircraft: CRJ

Hans Hartmann

37 minutes ago, bluemoon51 said:

My guess would be if you have spent 1,000s on upgrading your game anything that might come along and derail it is looked on with fear and resentment.  

Doesn't apply to all. I certainly have spent 1000s on P3D addons (plus 200 on P3D5 itself) and more than 1000 for Aerosoft alone but have met MSFS with enthusiasm, participated in the alpha and I am now mainly on MSFS, despite the issues coming up now and then. I fly GA/VFR nearly exclusively and find it so much better that I don't look back, even more as addon prices for MSFS are generally lower than P3D, often there are rebates for P3D version owners, and there are some freeware pearls available.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, pmb said:

Doesn't apply to all. I certainly have spent 1000s on P3D addons (plus 200 on P3D5 itself) and more than 1000 for Aerosoft alone but have met MSFS with enthusiasm, participated in the alpha and I am now mainly on MSFS, despite the issues coming up now and then. I fly GA/VFR nearly exclusively and find it so much better that I don't look back, even more as addon prices for MSFS are generally lower than P3D, often there are rebates for P3D version owners, and there are some freeware pearls available.

Kind regards, Michael

Sorry to be clear I was directly referring to people that see MSFS as a threat, I'm not in any way trying to claim everyone(or indeed a majority)that plays P3D feels that way... Indeed I wouldn't board-stroke anyone like that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluemoon51 said:

My guess would be if you have spent 1,000s on upgrading your game anything that might come along and derail it is looked on with fear and resentment.

It doesn't apply for me, I invested thousands on P3D including buying all these Airliners from FSLabs, PMDG, Aerosoft .. etc. However, my divorce story from P3D even started long before MSFS release when I got to know X-Plane first time on Christmas 2019 (I was on FS9, FSX, P3Dv4), and that was the first time I got to learn how beautiful slopped runways look on X-Plane or I can use orthos4xp with X-Europe for free or using the awesome Zibo mod, or even the graphics of X-Plane that is a step up from P3D, I used to hate P3D orthos and that I had orbx stuff, things on X-Plane looked to me better and also the maintainability of the sim, I used to hate this ridiculous things of P3D to fiddle around with all XML files whenever I want to add a scenery or the ridicules thing that there is no a proper updater that everytime there is a fix or new update for P3D, is recommended that I download the whole thing again and fiddle again with settings. What was the best of them of all, was the feeling of the plane, I didn't know what does "on-rails" means until I tried X-Plane which led me to know what does "on-rail" means on P3D, oh boy I couldn't tolerate it any further on P3D and I went ahead investing heavily on X-Plane like buying airliners like FF, Toliss, Inibuilds, IXEG.
At the beginning I was kinda 60% X-Plane and 40%P3Dv4.5, things were stable so yeah and v5 was released, I said to myself let me try and guess what, instability like crazy, the crazy vram issues (until today this is an for me), the crazy CTDs, the list goes on, EA sometimes looks fuzzy. Even with hotfixes things got a bit better but wasn't for my satisfaction and I was preferring X-Plane especially when LR released Vulcan and I was like 100% X-Plane until MSFS released and honestly I got hooked up with MSFS with its amazing graphics, immersions and the feeling of the plane that is similar to X-Plane, like a perfect package!  However, it doesn't mean that I no longer fly X-Plane, no I still use both on equally and I am investing on both as well, I just removed P3D completely from my machine :D

• Upvote 3

The part I personally don't get is the money argument.  Why does it matter how much someone spent on P3D or X-Plane?  It's a hobby, and hobbies are expensive at times.  If and when a sim is no longer useful to a person, the amount of time and money spent on it, is in the past, and irrelevant, IMHO.  Ten dollars, or $1000 dollars....doesn't matter.  I only fire up X-Plane to make a couple of VA flights a month with the zibo.  The amount of time, effort, and money, I've put into X-Plane over the years doesn't matter to me, because I enjoy the MFS experience better.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

What also comes to mind for me is the whole Sim vs Game debate. MSFS is positioned as a game. Xplane/P3D are „believed“ to be sims. 

I will not make myself popular with this but for me they are all games within a simulation genre. All platforms have their strong and weak points but you can simulate flight and systems on all three. Just never think that it is the same as RW flying, it is a simulated approximation of it. 

Exactly.  Game vs simulator are trigger words for many folks.  Make no mistake about it, P3D, XP, DCS, and MFS, are all games for entertainment.  No different than WoW, Fortnite, and Animal Crossings.  Instead of pretending to be an elf with magical powers, "flight simmers" pretend to be commercial pilots......LOL.  I know it's not a popular view as you said, but if you're being honest, at the end of the day, it is just a game.  A hella fun game, that we've all put more time, money, and effort into than we'd like to admit.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Pickafivestring said:

The part I personally don't get is the money argument.  Why does it matter how much someone spent on P3D or X-Plane?  It's a hobby, and hobbies are expensive at times.  If and when a sim is no longer useful to a person, the amount of time and money spent on it, is in the past, and irrelevant, IMHO.  Ten dollars, or $1000 dollars....doesn't matter.  I only fire up X-Plane to make a couple of VA flights a month with the zibo.  The amount of time, effort, and money, I've put into X-Plane over the years doesn't matter to me, because I enjoy the MFS experience better.  

Sure is our hobby and makes sense to invest. However this money matters to me, I work hard for it and I want to be sure what is justified for.

vor 29 Minuten, Omar Al-Safi sagte:

Sure is our hobby and makes sense to invest. However this money matters to me, I work hard for it and I want to be sure what is justified for.

Yes, you are right, prnicipally. But what if you buy a new car? All the given money for your older one is away; except you won't buy a new car. 

In the same way you can stay with your older simulator which have cost so much money.

I don’t believe XP12 will create the same immersive and beautiful world like MSFS. They simply don’t have the tech and capacity for it.

But we are a bit off-topic. Any news on the CRJ? Because the marketing department is still a bit silent..😜 

• Like 1

• Root Admin
14 minutes ago, Matthijs88 said:

I don’t believe XP12 will create the same immersive and beautiful world like MSFS. They simply don’t have the tech and capacity for it.

But we are a bit off-topic. Any news on the CRJ? Because the marketing department is still a bit silent..😜 

To be honest, as we need to limit what we can say on the CRJ at this moment, I am pretty happy to let this topic wonder a bit.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Matthijs88 said:

For XP12, I believe they are saying some aspects of improved scenery (3D trees for example), but difficult to imagine how they could match the level of MSFS. But remember, just a few years ago we couldn't imagine what we are seeing now from the default scenery in MSFS. New ideas and new technology with time in the other sim platforms may surprise us. 

• Root Admin
43 minutes ago, generale84 said:

I think that's this point is enough for divide pilots from players

There was one Saturday morning where I decide I would master this.  At lunch time I was trying to find excuses (my stick is not precisie enough) and around the time a glass of wine was acceptable, I relented and agreed I was not precise enough. After that I blamed the wine and that settled the issue.

I am just not good enough. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mathijs Kok said:

We see in our sales that while P3D is seriously affected my the release of MFS, X-Plane sales are stil solid. Every sim has it's own following.

This isn't too surprising to me. I ran into a critical bug with the Fly by Wire A320neo which won't be resolved anytime soon (involving STARs), and with the delay in the CRJ, I decided I needed to consider other options to get my fix. I was tempted to get P3D and probably would have if buying that version of the CRJ would have carried over into Flight Simulator (although I completely understand why that won't happen), but X-Plane is just so much more affordable to get into, especially if that's intended to be a relatively short-term venture.

2 hours ago, Aplato said:

but X-Plane is just so much more affordable to get into, especially if that's intended to be a relatively short-term venture.

Yep from the top of my head you can have X-Plane up and running with the least cost with the massive freeware for X-Plane, that includes the zibo mod 737 which is free. Pretty sure you won't regret having X-Plane as your second sim as it is cost friendly comparing to P3D.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Doering said:

Just a few years ago we couldn't imagine what we are seeing now from the default scenery in MSFS. New ideas and new technology with time in the other sim platforms may surprise us. 

Haha, you're gjetting me nostalgic about the fsx days. Remember flying the default fsx 737 (or fs9, fs98 and so on if you're older) and actually thinking that it was the peak. That it was realistic. 

Well, time has passed and look where we are now! It's Just the next installment in the series (admitidly late after fsx through) and we've gone from default 738 to waiting for the crj. I know there's been pretty good addons back then as well, but now? I'm checking this forum every day to get the little scraps of information That marketing lets Mathijs slip through. 

That's probably not a good thing but I'm Just excited to get the crj, to take the real jump from X-Plane to fs2020

7 hours ago, Matthijs88 said:

I've been deep into P3D, XP for years, and now MSFS. One of the things that I've noticed is that Asobo didn't reinvent the wheel at all. They took what was out there and put some money behind it to give us some better clouds, better lighting and managed to facilitate what are essentially Bing orthos into the sim. I think that XP could do just about the same if they improved weather and lighting. The framework is already in place for almost everything else. Personally. I don't like Bing imagery, there are better alternatives out there. XP may have trouble with photogammetry, but as we can all see, Asobo isn't doing a great job on that front either as it stands today.

I'm happy with MSFS but I also see it as being in its infancy whereas Austin and LR could bring something comparable to the table- or at least something that could be modded and tweaked to look and feel like, or better than MSFS. The question is whether they have the interest and resources to do so.

So, the race is on- will MSFS mature before XP12 comes out and gives Asobo a run for their money? Will MSFS have working autopilots, properly working weather and the ability to incorporate AC with systems depth before then? Who knows. This is definitely an exciting time to be simming, but it will require patience and lot of compromises until we get to a place that I would like to see in our little corner of the universe.

14 hours ago, The Dude said:

What also comes to mind for me is the whole Sim vs Game debate. MSFS is positioned as a game. Xplane/P3D are „believed“ to be sims. 

I will not make myself popular with this but for me they are all games within a simulation genre. All platforms have their strong and weak points but you can simulate flight and systems on all three. Just never think that it is the same as RW flying, it is a simulated approximation of it. 

And for those that want it as real as it gets; fly from LSZH and hit an endangered bird during your V1 cut. After your emergency landing in LSZH with one engine pay a fine of €500 for killing said bird to a charity of your choosing. Fly 255kts with your CRJ around EDDP below FL100 and pay more than €1000 in fines (you can’t blame the ATHR). I will leave it up to your imagination what will happen when a pax falls of your ultra steep CRJ stairs in Italy and dies.  ;) 

ps, I already got some PM‘s concerning this post. Let me state that for me a game is something I play/fly on my PC which has no RW consequences. And for those who still find game too strong a word let‘s call it an entertainment product with educational value. 😉

Sim vs. Game has always been a semantics debate because different people have different definitions of all of these things. Real life airline pilots typically see a "sim" as the approved simulator they use for training. However, in video game parlance "sim" has always referred to games that attempt to simulate some aspect of real life in a realistic way using physics or hard numbers as opposed to having a fictional setting or game mechanics. By this definition (and any English dictionary as well), MSFS is absolutely a simulation. It was created to be a simulation from day 1 by Asobo. There is no question that is what it is. Not having to do mountains of paperwork and not having your life on the line does not make it less of sim in the same way that your simulator training is not less of a sim because you don't die if you crash in the Level D.

What is missed here is that simulators have different levels of fidelity (which is why there are different levels of approved simulators, FTDs, PC simulation, etc.). This doesn't mean any given one isn't a sim. It's pedantic and juvenile to argue otherwise.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Fynus said:

Is there anyone here that uses Foreflight with the CRJ IRL or in the sim?

I don't think any IRL operators of the CRJ use FF. They will have an EFB, but the program on it will be specific to that operator and approved by the EASA/FAA/etc.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, crowmium said:

I don't think any IRL operators of the CRJ use FF. They will have an EFB, but the program on it will be specific to that operator and approved by the EASA/FAA/etc.

Most of the regional carriers in the US that I know of use the EFB, but more for the Jeppesen Charts app. I believe PSA Airlines (who operates the CRJ) flies with EFBs or is about to, and that is the resource they use. One of the other CFIs I work with flies for a flag carrier in the US and they use an EFB, but instead of ForeFlight they use an app from Jeppesen to look at charts. From what he showed me, it has a lot of the same functions as FF. Maybe less on the front of weather and such, but a lot of info was there. ForeFlight is a wonderful tool for flying though. I used it throughout my training and I encourage my students to do the same. It greatly increases situational awareness. Awesome to have for simming as well. I would love to see MSFS have native support for connecting directly to FF like XP11 does.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, slippingwithflapsin said:

I would love to see MSFS have native support for connecting directly to FF like XP11 does.

You can use ForeFlight with MSFS. I use it in my real world flights and for each flight in MSFS. I use the FlightAware client. Just one extra step to connect to MSFS. Very easy and works with no problems in complete synchrony with the sim. You can check my YouTube channel “The Flight Level” for examples of IFR and IFR videos for reference. Link in “About Me” in my profile.

• CRJ Forum Moderator
On 1/4/2021 at 5:32 AM, Fynus said:

Is there anyone here that uses Foreflight with the CRJ IRL or in the sim?

I use Foreflight on every sim flight in MSFS, P3D and X-Plane.

I do most of my CRJ flying in the US, and like to emulate various Delta regional partner flights. I will look for Delta CRJ flights between specific city pairs on the FlightAware app. FlightAware will show the flight plan being by the flight on the specific day, and has the ability to export that FP directly to Foreflight.

I also have PDF copies of all supplied manuals for every flight sim add-on I own on the same iPad I use for Foreflight, as well as an excellent E6B app and other useful utility programs - so it is indeed an EFB

• Like 1

vor 7 Stunden , slippingwithflapsin sagte:

Most of the regional carriers in the US that I know of use the EFB, but more for the Jeppesen Charts app. I believe PSA Airlines (who operates the CRJ) flies with EFBs or is about to, and that is the resource they use. One of the other CFIs I work with flies for a flag carrier in the US and they use an EFB, but instead of ForeFlight they use an app from Jeppesen to look at charts. From what he showed me, it has a lot of the same functions as FF. Maybe less on the front of weather and such, but a lot of info was there. ForeFlight is a wonderful tool for flying though. I used it throughout my training and I encourage my students to do the same. It greatly increases situational awareness. Awesome to have for simming as well. I would love to see MSFS have native support for connecting directly to FF like XP11 does.

Thank you!

I am new to these kind of apps and wanted to try them out in the sim before using them later IRL when I get my license. A few days ago I saw a video where they used FF in a CRJ for a business flight and was just curious if thats a common thing.

For flight tracking FF would be nice for the sim, anything else I thing Aerosoft is doing a good job with their included EFB.

• Upvote 1