Aerosoft Aircraft: CRJ

Hans Hartmann

• Administrator

For the benefit of newcomers to this thread, here is a list of some of the more frequently asked questions:

Q. Which NavData is used / What NavData can I use?

A.

On 9/25/2020 at 9:13 AM, Hans Hartmann said:

It will remain NavDataPro/Navigraph for the time being.

On 9/25/2020 at 11:34 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

And keep in mind we will deliver an up to date (!) navdatabase on release. No outdated files.

Q. Which liveries are included?

A. More details on this will be published soon.

Q. Which models are included and what is the price of the CRJ?

A.

On 12/2/2020 at 1:39 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

The CRJ 550/700 will cost €42 (plus your local vat when applicable). 

The CRJ 900/100 will cost €16.75 (plus your local vat when applicable).
The CRJ 900/1000 will require the  CRJ 550/700 to be installed on the system.

Q. Does the HUD work?

A. https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/155410-aerosoft-aircraft-crj-for-msfs/&do=findComment&comment=1004831

Q. As a newcomer to flight simulators, will I be able to fly this aircraft?

A. https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/155410-aerosoft-aircraft-crj-for-msfs/&do=findComment&comment=1005361

Q. Is Aerosoft including a manual with this product?

A.

On 12/11/2020 at 8:42 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

Yes, 5 manuals.

Q. Can I perform holds?

A. Yes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

Hey guys, great work! Just one question, I remember this problem occurring right after the initial release for fsx/p3d but has there been any issue with the CRJ not completely capturing the LOC? I remember early on it used to sometimes not align with the LOC and would turn back and forth to try to capture it.

vor 2 Stunden , Tom sagte:

For the benefit of newcomers to this thread, here is a list of some of the more frequently asked questions [...]

Thanks for the FAQ Tom I think many people will benefit from that or at least Mathijs who will no longer have to repeat his statements :)

3 hours ago, Tom said:

For the benefit of newcomers to this thread, here is a list of some of the more frequently asked questions:

Q. As a newcomer to flight simulators, will I be able to fly this aircraft?

A. https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/155410-aerosoft-aircraft-crj-for-msfs/&do=findComment&comment=1005361

As a new simmer I appreciate the extra assistance going into this for us to enable us to also enjoy it. Never touched flight simming owing to cost, but MFS means I can def' invest in planes and airports simply because of the value I now see in it.

I do have a question though, is there a preferred aircraft to get some time in which would have similar flight parameters to the CRJ? At this stage I've predominantly flown the A320, DA-62 & the 787-X  (around 140-150 hrs all up) so anticipating a few entertaining flights to start with when I roll down the runway.

NB:  Love the manuals, they're awesome and I seriously wish all the aircraft had them.

Cheers

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AntillesFlyer said:

As a new simmer I appreciate the extra assistance going into this for us to enable us to also enjoy it. Never touched flight simming owing to cost, but MFS means I can def' invest in planes and airports simply because of the value I now see in it.

I do have a question though, is there a preferred aircraft to get some time in which would have similar flight parameters to the CRJ? At this stage I've predominantly flown the A320, DA-62 & the 787-X  (around 140-150 hrs all up) so anticipating a few entertaining flights to start with when I roll down the runway.

NB:  Love the manuals, they're awesome and I seriously wish all the aircraft had them.

Cheers

I would say the closest plane would be the CJ-4. More specifically the working title version. It is not an airliner but systems wise and controls wise it is a good training platform. The working title mod is outstanding.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AntillesFlyer said:

Cheers

I can only speak from real life instructional experience, but I've found it applies to sims (usually):

The important thing is to have good fundamentals and knowledge. You need to have solid aircraft handling skills and instrument flying skills and knowledge of instrument procedures. Whatever aircraft you fly practice flying it the "right" way. This will build your ability to manage an aircraft and keep up with the workload in critical phases of flight.

As you improve fly faster aircraft and shorter legs. Possibly the most demanding task is flying a jet in the radar pattern (immediately get vectors downwind for an instrument approach after takeoff) as you must complete a large number of tasks in a short time while flying the airplane. 

If you can master that, the only difference for the CRJ will be the specific procedures, numbers, systems, and limitations which can all be learned by studying the manuals. You'll still need to practice to be good at flying it though (like any aircraft).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

There  will be another way to learn about this aircraft.

A good friend, a real pilot with thousands of hours on the CRJ will be doing short training 'sessions'. These will consist of short (say between 5 and 10 min) video's about certain aspects of the aircraft.The first one will be called, 'Bring Your Coffee and Let's Sit Down". 

Always a good to start with coffee!

This is a good idea as there is a large audience out there for MS Flight Sim and this aircraft differs from Boeing and Airbus. 

Will these take place in the simulator in the VC of the CRJ and will they be available before or close to release?

Simon

• Root Admin
17 minutes ago, simon747 said:

Will these take place in the simulator in the VC of the CRJ and will they be available before or close to release?

After release, Shortly after. 

The videos will screengrab of the VC, as if you look through the eyes of the instructor. So when he explains about the fuel panel that wil be focussed on. Every video will be in a forum topic and after each you can ask questions. It is really intended for our new sim users but I am sure I learn a lot as well. 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

After release, Shortly after. 

T It is really intended for our new sim users but I am sure I learn a lot as well. 

It will help greatly with learning especially with people being stuck indoors over winter with lockdowns etc. 

3 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

There  will be another way to learn about this aircraft.

A good friend, a real pilot with thousands of hours on the CRJ will be doing short training 'sessions'. These will consist of short (say between 5 and 10 min) video's about certain aspects of the aircraft.The first one will be called, 'Bring Your Coffee and Let's Sit Down". 

I'm very happy to hear this. Between the YouTube series and the documentation, it sounds like this should be approachable for people like me who haven't flown any complex payware aircraft before. I don't particularly care about things like wing flex or simulating multiple failures, but I'm looking for a realistically-modeled airliner with a properly-functional autopilot and FMS that I can use to get started flying online with VATSIM. It sounds like the CRJ will be for me and I look forward to purchasing it, hopefully in a matter of days. :)

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Aplato said:

I'm very happy to hear this. Between the YouTube series and the documentation, it sounds like this should be approachable for people like me who haven't flown any complex payware aircraft before. I don't particularly care about things like wing flex or simulating multiple failures, but I'm looking for a realistically-modeled airliner with a properly-functional autopilot and FMS that I can use to get started flying online with VATSIM. It sounds like the CRJ will be for me and I look forward to purchasing it, hopefully in a matter of days. :)

Yeah, all i’m looking for is a complex airliner that can handle all the procedures, etc. and models most of the cockpit accurately, and if Aerosoft wants to expand realism and failures, ... later on, that would be great.

• Like 2

• Root Admin
11 hours ago, Wuper said:

Yeah, all i’m looking for is a complex airliner that can handle all the procedures, etc. and models most of the cockpit accurately, and if Aerosoft wants to expand realism and failures, ... later on, that would be great.

We sure will continue to work on it, but we have a dim view about failures. 

This may be an odd question but er... I am a huge fan of the Dash 8 Q400: it is a lot more complex than a GA plane but not as complicated as the bigger Boeings and Airbusses. With those airliners I never had the idea I understood every available option, button, switch, screen, etc. The Q400 however fits my brain perfectly: I can understand and use everything I see on the overhead and pedestal and that certainly isn't the case with those Boeings and Airbusses. The Q400 also suits my preference for shorter regional flights.

Unfortunately there isn't a Q400 available (yet) for MSFS. And then I came across this CRJ... I have to say it seems to have some similarities with the Q400: an overhead with a lot of stuff on it but not too much, no autothrottle, systems that seem to be of a similar (moderate) complexity... all in all it seems to sit somewhere in between a typical GA and a typical airliner.

So I was wondering: am I right in thinking that this CRJ is the closest I can get right now (well... in a few weeks) to something like a Q400? Will this offer me a similar experience when it comes to flying, systems, complexity? Or it is incomparable and a totally different beast?

EDIT

To give some background: I've flown various versions of the Aerosoft Airbus and a few PMDG Boeings (MD-11, 737NGX) in the past. The Dash 8 I've flown is the Majestic one but I also liked the one from Aerofly FS 2. So I can handle those bigger and more complex Airbusses and Boeings without any problems but I simply don't like not being able to master them completely as I could master the Q400. And so I wonder if I could master every aspect of the CRJ.

• Upvote 1

• Deputy Sheriffs

I think you will have no problem with the CRJ. I find the FMS even easier than the Dash. There is no condition lever etc so push forward on the throttle makes you faster and retarding it slower. The HGS operation is the same and the overhead panel is only used once in an while. There is no complicated VNAV function except for your own mental calculations.

All in all it will be a perfect fit for you I guess.

A question about the documentation:

I read in several posts that the CRJ for MSFS will come with 5 manuals. This list was posted a few days ago listing 6 manuals. I’m hoping the list of 6 is the correct number. 

The difference could simply be the 2 Part AOM counted as Vol1 and Vol5.

Regards,

image.thumb.jpeg.cb8a021012980c0f91e64b9f96fc2a13.jpeg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, J van E said:

This may be an odd question but er... I am a huge fan of the Dash 8 Q400: it is a lot more complex than a GA plane but not as complicated as the bigger Boeings and Airbusses. With those airliners I never had the idea I understood every available option, button, switch, screen, etc. The Q400 however fits my brain perfectly: I can understand and use everything I see on the overhead and pedestal and that certainly isn't the case with those Boeings and Airbusses. The Q400 also suits my preference for shorter regional flights.

Unfortunately there isn't a Q400 available (yet) for MSFS. And then I came across this CRJ... I have to say it seems to have some similarities with the Q400: an overhead with a lot of stuff on it but not too much, no autothrottle, systems that seem to be of a similar (moderate) complexity... all in all it seems to sit somewhere in between a typical GA and a typical airliner.

So I was wondering: am I right in thinking that this CRJ is the closest I can get right now (well... in a few weeks) to something like a Q400? Will this offer me a similar experience when it comes to flying, systems, complexity? Or it is incomparable and a totally different beast?

EDIT

To give some background: I've flown various versions of the Aerosoft Airbus and a few PMDG Boeings (MD-11, 737NGX) in the past. The Dash 8 I've flown is the Majestic one but I also liked the one from Aerofly FS 2. So I can handle those bigger and more complex Airbusses and Boeings without any problems but I simply don't like not being able to master them completely as I could master the Q400. And so I wonder if I could master every aspect of the CRJ.

I am in exactly the same situation as you! I am not a fan of bigger airliners and airports, prefer something from GA up to CRJ/A220 - I like wilderness, mountains, remote and not crowded areas. I found that very suitable (and some popular) in Norway, where I live, as well as other interesting for me regions (Canada, Western US, Alaska, PNG, short European city jumping and similar) for short flights, from upcoming to MSFS planes are CRJ, Q400 and A220 (if it will come, freeware or not). However, in smaller norwegian airports operates also Q100/200 and there I think Twin Otter from Aerosoft will not be far away from that one! 

• Like 1

• Root Admin
18 minutes ago, Flyboy1 said:

A question about the documentation:

I read in several posts that the CRJ for MSFS will come with 5 manuals. This list was posted a few days ago listing 6 manuals. I’m hoping the list of 6 is the correct number. 

Indeed it is 6 and not five.

Let me add three of them here so you have an idea on the level of complexity of the aircraft.  The others will come with the aircraft (in case you can;t find them ProjectFolder\Data\Documentation\).

Vol2_Quick Reference Guide.pdf Vol1_Aircraft Operating Manual_Part-1.pdf Vol5_Aircraft Operating Manual_Part_2.pdf

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Greg Kaniewski said:

I found that very suitable (and some popular) in Norway, where I live

I spend my last P3D years in Norway mainly (around 95%) flying the Majestic Dash 8 Q400 with a Wideroe livery doing only real world domestic Wideroe flights. Those were the days. Hope to be able to do the same again in MSFS soon! If not with the Q400 then maybe with the CRJ. ;)

BTW I don't live in Norway but I spend around 10 summer holidays over there during my youth. I love that country. In P3D I was using FTX Norway with the freeware Airports of Norway. At this moment Norway has some big issues in MSFS: hope they will be fixed soon. I fly there often nonetheless.