Aerosoft Aircraft: CRJ

Hans Hartmann

30 minutes ago, simone guanziroli said:

ahh ok! sorry, now I understand! the classic "formula" to calculate the estimated descent distance. 

thank you very much guys....can't wait to have it!!!

Something that might help you too, the 3x Altitude = TOD is great but another handy one to use on descent is 

1/2 Groundspeed +100ft = Rough Rate of descent for a standard 3° Profile.

Example - GS of 300kts, a descent of about 1600fpm (3÷2=1.5 1.5+0.1 =1.6) 

This is really handy for when your VNAV drops out or you're descending off track. 

• Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, asmit165 said:

Something that might help you too, the 3x Altitude = TOD is great but another handy one to use on descent is 

This is really handy for when your VNAV drops out or you're descending off track. 

thank you very much for all the advice. you are the best guys! :) 

I just take all the notes, so I practice on the actual CJ4 working and I will be fully ready for the CRJ!

if it comes out on the 16th I will immediately take a flight in vatsim for the EGNX-LSZH events or on the 17th LOWW-LIMC.
I will introduce the CRJ in Vatsim community! xD 

• Like 1

Guys, IRL pilot here. The CRJ seems very very good regarding systems, IFR, and everything. After seeing the videos I think it's totally worth it, but for me, the airplane handling seems very inaccurate, touchy, very sensitive on final approach and on the runway during take-off roll. It is very important that the aircraft handling seems like the real deal. I find this problem with almost all MSFS aircrafts. That's not the behave of the actual aircraft, where you actually need to put a certain amount of control in order for it to move considerably, and it moves slowly and steady. Instead, what we are seeing is a rapid moviment like it was a cessna 150.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

• Deputy Sheriffs
4 minutes ago, Chris Torres said:

I noticed that during touchdown the nose seems a bit jumpy it took a while to put it on the ground?

I like to fly the aircraft slightly out of trim with a nose up tendency. As I had to take my hand of the yoke to manipulate the mouse it aero-brake‘d a bit. This should not be a problem with a normal trim setting and using slight forward yoke input like you would do IRL. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I like to fly the aircraft slightly out of trim with a nose up tendency. As I had to take my hand of the yoke to manipulate the mouse it aero-brake‘d a bit. This should not be a problem with a normal trim setting and using slight forward yoke input like you would do IRL. 

Thanks for the clarification. Appreciate all the efforts you put into these tutorials sir. Thank you!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

The altitude minus the zeros times 3 is actually the starting point. I did not want to make the subject any more daunting to a new pilot in the video. You can also factor in the airport elevation, like you said, but also tail/head wind, high or low QNH, expected holding and or track miles and even level segments to reduce the speed if you go for an highspeed approach. 

We frequently do contests in the cockpit to see who can come up with the most accurate number for that flight. And if you are flying to a nightstop destination you can actually make the contest about something. ;) 

I thought the CRJ had a calculated TOD point on the PFD? 

1 hour ago, chiquito said:

Guys, IRL pilot here. The CRJ seems very very good regarding systems, IFR, and everything. After seeing the videos I think it's totally worth it, but for me, the airplane handling seems very inaccurate, touchy, very sensitive on final approach and on the runway during take-off roll. It is very important that the aircraft handling seems like the real deal. I find this problem with almost all MSFS aircrafts. That's not the behave of the actual aircraft, where you actually need to put a certain amount of control in order for it to move considerably, and it moves slowly and steady. Instead, what we are seeing is a rapid moviment like it was a cessna 150.

Maybe there still time to fine tune the sensitivity of the steering esp on the ground while taxiing?

• Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, The Dude said:

You thought wrong. There is one on the MFD Map. 

hahaha, true that. Even though the CRJ doesn't have automatic VNAV it's gonna be good to fly a plane that calculates the TOD for you at least (cough, cough a320 NEO, cough, cough).

• Like 1

• Root Admin
4 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

And within 2 mins a down vote and you wonder why I hate your forums. Just delete my above forum post and delete my forum acount. 

We have already asked two times to keep this discussion from this topic as it is simply a different topic. The downvote was correct.

On none of our systems we see these issues. And I think you can find exactly the same for every update ever done. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Episodes 9 and 10 are online! 

Great series, one thing I noticed which is great is the logbook menu pops up after turning off the battery. I know it's a small thing but it does annoy me in the A320 it popping up after turning the engines off, it detracts from the realism of doing a turnaroud

8 hours ago, The Dude said:

Get ready for 101 arguments from RW pilots that pitch mode is extremely dangerous as it leaves you with no speed protection. (Just like VS Mode ;) )

I use pitch mode a lot above FL300 btw. :)

Same here. I use pitch mode when it begins to hunt the speed to much in the flight levels. As you know it eventually just starts cycling from no climb to an excessive climb up there. And for the guys arguing about the "dangers" of pitch mode just watch your speed and scan your instruments. AKA the exact same thing you were doing before.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thijs010 said:

Thanks! One question regarding the “rule of thumb” for your descend: should you also take landing elevation into account for determining the fix ring in the FMC? So in this video you take the full FL240, but the actual descend will be less as the airport is not at an elevation of 0 ft 

This is all pilot preference. I normally put in two rings. I'll do a 30 mile ring based off of the airport and then I'll take the point along my route where that ring intersects insert it into my flight plan then I'll do 10K above field elevation if it's going to be a base or straight in entry. If it's a downwind entry I'll put in 13K above field elevation. I'll also take the runway fix in the FMC put that into the fix page and create a 3 mile ring. Because I like to hand fly visual approaches from 30 or so miles out if possible and I like having a marking on my moving map showing me where I need to be at 1000 AFE configured and all checklists run. I normally fly my visual approaches base leg well inside of the final approach fix but before that ring so I roll out on glide path and on speed at the 3 mile fix.

2 hours ago, chiquito said:

I've also noticed that most of the MSFS aircraft behave as if they weigh < 2,000 lbs. with no inertia.  I wonder how much of that is the overall flight model, and how much of that is the fact that you can easily over-control the aircraft (IRL, if you pulled the yoke full aft then you'd experience quite the g-force).

I've also found that decreasing the sensitivity/gain of the pitch and roll axes on my yoke helps with this during normal flight, since most of the time you do not need/use much control surface deflection.  The only downside to this is that the gain curve gets very steep near the extremes, so there becomes a point where a small change in yoke position results in a large control surface deflection.

I'm sure once the CRJ comes out, there will be more precise tuning of the yoke sensitivity required to make it "feel" right on my setup (though I can only guess at what the "right" feel is based on being a passenger, as it is quite a bit larger than anything I've flown IRL).

• Upvote 1

I’m not an IRL CRJ driver, but I am an IRL pilot. And I understand where you’re coming from on perceived oversensitivity/instability of flight sim aircraft compared to the feeling and response of real aircraft. In my experience, though, this isn’t inherently a sim or even aircraft model issue. Much of this can be overcome with good and well calibrated flight controllers. If you’re using peripherals in a truly plug and play fashion, you’re likely doing it wrong. Take time to adjust the physical resistance on the devices and then tinker with sensitivity and dead zones. Also, downloading the latest software and firmware from hardware vendors is a must.

Well calibrated control devices can close much of the gap on the tendency for flight sim aircraft to feel overly sensitive. The other part of this that is harder to overcome is the fact that you are stationary and watching a screen as opposed to physically being in the aircraft. What feels like a subtle movement in a real aircraft is oftentimes a more significant movement - you’re simply moving with the aircraft. On screen in FS, the same movement feels more drastic since you’re watching it all from sitting in a stationary chair. This is why I feel like VR has the potential to be a game changer in MSFS. I’m honestly not sure where/how to dive into VR (and also afraid of the looks I might get from my wife if I put on a VR helmet), but I think it has the potential to be very compelling. Using VR in MSFS with well calibrated control devices has the potential to be very, very cool. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, asmit165 said:

Have I flown with you before? This is exactly, to the letter, the tip I give my newer FO's when they are trying something like that for the first time. Good to see I'm not the only one that likes to practice the old school methods as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hi RL CFI and aircraft owner here. There are no sim I tried in RL (that includes FAA certified ones) resembles or feel one to one of controls of actual airplanes. I flew and instructed in  several  airplanes IRL that currently featured in MSFS. The rule of thumb for me (as long time simmer as well) is to tweak controls to what fit my perception of flying  actual counterpart IRL. That include 152, 172, Bonanza and so on. Not only I have to do it for each aircraft but also for each hardware I have (yoko plus, honecycomvb, TM, CH and so on).

There is absolutely no way to" transmit" 100% stick and rudder feel of real aircraft to each set of hardware. Level D sims did achieved close proximity but still not 100%. So bottom line it's up to each individual simmer how to tweak the control, mileage may vary though. Back to my days in P3D I used invited few of my friends who are also fellow CFIs in addition of airline captains. Since I have never flown 737, 777 in real life they helped to tweak my controls of  737/777 in sim to what they believe the best interpolation of actual controls!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3