Aerosoft Aircraft: CRJ

Hans Hartmann

2 hours ago, EasternT3 said:

I know they don't operate them but I think an Hawaiian CRJ would look amazing

Yeah, that was requested. I made a quick draft for the default FSX CRJ, I know... I'm still using that? Yes, I don't have any other CRJ's in my fleet atm. The livery turned out pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 1 hour , Joe.hodgins sagte:

Great video of real world operations, can't wait for the release now!

Thanks a lot for the video! A very good example of how different SOPs can be. I hope that people will think now about he possibility that there might be different procedures, before they write a complaint. In the end it is your decision to which SOPs you prefer to operate the airplane in MSFS, either Bombardier's or the airline of your choice or the Aerosoft's SOPs.

Good video! 👍

• CRJ Forum Moderator
4 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Very true. These cooling fans are a pain in the ears with their whine.

The loudest thing on a CRJ (on the ground) other than the APU is the 3A hydraulic pump, which is energized during preflight checks and runs continuously until parking at the gate at the destination. Outside the airplane, it is quite noticeable. It truly makes a continuous whine. Inside, you can barely hear it. Even in the cabin it is is hard to hear. It is under the floor in the area of the left wheel well, and passengers seated in that area might notice it starting up during preflight. It is nowhere near as loud as the famous “barking dog” hydraulic PTU on an A320 which passengers can definitely hear under the cabin floor after the first engine starts.

6 hours ago, The Dude said:

This is a question that can only get a highly subjective answer. I have flown the RW CRJ with the worse headset there is and with the best headset (Bose) there is. The experience between the two would make you think you were flying another aircraft.

IRL we pilots like the cockpit the best that is also the quietest. Why? Because we sit and work there for hours and hours. As already stated by others here; you really do not hear the engines that much IRL. They are not Merlin engines with that beautiful sound. They are not GE90s which you will hear starting up from miles away. They are also not Trent 700s that make nice howling sounds during take off. They are basically APU's ;) 

What you hear onground are those pesky loud fans the whole time. If AS would model those realistically there would be an uproar. And inflight you mainly hear the slipstream. During one of our RW acceptance flights we "had" to kick in full rudder at FL370 to test the yawdamper. Hearing the slipstream coming from the right side of the cockpit instead of straight on was a very unsettling experience. 

Everybody has different expectations about what a soundset should bring to the table. Did it meet all my expectations? No. Is the soundset bad? No. Is the soundset nice? Yes. There are companies that do a better job for more money and there are companies (not meaning AS here) that fall short a bit. 

Based on your personal expectations your milage will vary.....

Well I guess we can just turn the engine sound slider down, and what ever slider controls the flightdeck sounds up to try and get a realistic simulation of the real sounds.  I just wish Aerosoft cared more about what is correct rather than what people who have never sat in a cockpit before expect to hear.  I think if Aerosoft marketed the fact that the sounds are not what people expect, but in fact are realistic most simmers would applaud that.  I mean, why would you buy a complex airliner with systems modelling and an fms etc if you didnt want to replicate the real thing?  You might as well just fly the default aircraft...   

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Root Admin

Just to be clear, we believe we have a very good soundset, internal and external and using the very latest methods.

But the simple fact is that 99% of customers have never been on the flight deck of a CRJ and still have an expectation of how it sounds. Just as almost all customers believe that on the flight deck of a A380 you hear the flaps move. If you do not add it you will see it mentioned in reviews and it hurts sales.  Examples everywhere. We still see reviews of  our Airbusses that have as minus points that the engine keep running if the fuel pumps are off even though we explained this is how the aircraft works, the engine are gravity fed. The pumps are backup.  Now that is hard data, and even those reviews are not corrected and hurt sales. Sounds are subjective and as said almost no customer has any reference, for sure Youtube vids are not good references because you never find details on how the sound is recorded.

In the end we sell what people want to buy. Telling customers they are wrong is not a good policy. We believe our sound set is accurate and correct. When our advisory pilots tell us otherwise we'll work on them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7

@Mathijs KokIf GSX ever gets transferred over to MSFS fo you plan on making a way for the refuels panel above the FO to connect with the fuel truck? That would be so cool if you could select the fuel you want and that automatically sends a fuel truck or something like that.

• Root Admin
3 minutes ago, Ccurrie5 said:

@Mathijs KokIf GSX ever gets transferred over to MSFS fo you plan on making a way for the refuels panel above the FO to connect with the fuel truck? That would be so cool if you could select the fuel you want and that automatically sends a fuel truck or something like that.

Why not? Our current Airbusses are fully connected to GSX.

• Like 6

vor 13 Minuten, Ccurrie5 sagte:

If GSX ever gets transferred over to MSFS [...]

Well GSX makes good progress as the developers stated in their forum :D Asobo keeps improving the necessary simconnect features which are required for the GSX release. So maybe we will see this nice tool sooner than later ;) Let's be optimistic. GSX and the CRJ will be a great combination anyway.

7 hours ago, The Dude said:

This is a question that can only get a highly subjective answer. I have flown the RW CRJ with the worse headset there is and with the best headset (Bose) there is. The experience between the two would make you think you were flying another aircraft.

Couldn’t resist replying to this part. So, so true. So much more comfort and noise reduction when going from Flight School headsets to your own headset (Lightspeed). Had to give Lightspeed a plug 🙂

• Like 1

vor 3 Stunden , The Dude sagte:

And we are up again!

Thank you ver much for showing the functionality of the EFB! A lot of great features and a lot of work to programm them. I love the OPTIONS window and especially the possibility for hardware input configuration, great!

I also wanted to ask some questions regarding the EFB.

- Is it possible to change the content of the checklists in the EFB? I don't know if they maybe are saved as txt or csv files somewhere in a folder, or are they "hard-programmed" into the EFB?

- PERFORMANCE tab: I like the feature of setting runway conditions and flaps setting. Is or will there be an option for calculating the flap setting by the performance tool depending on TODA? As you know, on long runways you have almost everytime a "Flaps 8" take off, but on shorter runways it quite often depends on runway condition and take of weight, what flap setting (8 or 20) will be best for take-off performance. Is there something like that hidden somwhere in the menue?

- And another performance question. Does the EFB differentiate between the aircraft types? Since all aircraft types have different weights and engine performance.

- The background picture in the AIRCRAFT and MAINTENANCE tab is a CRJ900 (4 overwing emergency doors / 2 fwd cargo compartments) but we are sitting in a CRJ700. Maybe the guys forgot to change it, or is it be just one for all types?

- You showed how to change the barometer setting between hPa and inHg in the EFB. Is it considered like a preset (as most of us will set it once and for all and not switch back and forth 😄 ) and the button in the cockpit is inop? Or can you change it either ways?

- Animation bug?: I think there is bug in the animation of the guardrail folding. Normally these two upper arms move down after removing the quick release pins. But in the animation they go up into the cabin. It's a bit hard to explain what I mean, so I've created a picture and highlighted these arm in green color. Maybe it helps.

SORRY FOR ASKING that much! 😄 But I'm totally hyped and can't wait for it! Maybe it helps to straighten some bugs out before the realease! 🙂 

Thanks again for your effort and have great sunday evening!

crj-pax-door.jpg

• Upvote 1

vor 4 Stunden , The Dude sagte:

And we are up again!

Very nice video! However I noticed that 2 very important features are missing in the EFB. They were previously shown in the forum. The disabling of the rendering of the displays will save a lot of fps

photo_2021-03-07 12.16.43 PM.jpeg

• Downvote 2

vor 1 hour , Mathijs Kok sagte:

Just to be clear, we believe we have a very good soundset, internal and external and using the very latest methods.

But the simple fact is that 99% of customers have never been on the flight deck of a CRJ and still have an expectation of how it sounds. Just as almost all customers believe that on the flight deck of a A380 you hear the flaps move. If you do not add it you will see it mentioned in reviews and it hurts sales.  Examples everywhere. We still see reviews of  our Airbusses that have as minus points that the engine keep running if the fuel pumps are off even though we explained this is how the aircraft works, the engine are gravity fed. The pumps are backup.  Now that is hard data, and even those reviews are not corrected and hurt sales. Sounds are subjective and as said almost no customer has any reference, for sure Youtube vids are not good references because you never find details on how the sound is recorded.

In the end we sell what people want to buy. Telling customers they are wrong is not a good policy. We believe our sound set is accurate and correct. When our advisory pilots tell us otherwise we'll work on them.

Exactly what I said! Thank you for your honesty Mathiys!

• Root Admin
1 hour ago, chikibriki said:

Very nice video! However I noticed that 2 very important features are missing in the EFB. They were previously shown in the forum. The disabling of the rendering of the displays will save a lot of fps

Well, we do not agree! We do not believe these are missing items in the EFB and we do not believe they are will save a lot og fps. At least not on MY system.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• Deputy Sheriffs
1 hour ago, ModsWanted said:

- Is it possible to change the content of the checklists in the EFB? I don't know if they maybe are saved as txt or csv files somewhere in a folder, or are they "hard-programmed" into the EFB?

I think it is possible but I will let somebody with more knowledge answer that.

- PERFORMANCE tab: I like the feature of setting runway conditions and flaps setting. Is or will there be an option for calculating the flap setting by the performance tool depending on TODA? As you know, on long runways you have almost everytime a "Flaps 8" take off, but on shorter runways it quite often depends on runway condition and take of weight, what flap setting (8 or 20) will be best for take-off performance. Is there something like that hidden somwhere in the menue?

No, yet get what you see. Just real world data for the weight. Runways/wind/pressure/temp is not taken into consideration. Just ISA.

- And another performance question. Does the EFB differentiate between the aircraft types? Since all aircraft types have different weights and engine performance.

Yes it does. 

- The background picture in the AIRCRAFT and MAINTENANCE tab is a CRJ900 (4 overwing emergency doors / 2 fwd cargo compartments) but we are sitting in a CRJ700. Maybe the guys forgot to change it, or is it be just one for all types?

This is the default look for all types on this page. You will not see an CR7 or an CR1K.

- You showed how to change the barometer setting between hPa and inHg in the EFB. Is it considered like a preset (as most of us will set it once and for all and not switch back and forth 😄 ) and the button in the cockpit is inop? Or can you change it either ways?

This option is like a preset as the normal panel button does the job also. So you can use both, whatever floats your boat. ;)

- Animation bug?: I think there is bug in the animation of the guardrail folding. Normally these two upper arms move down after removing the quick release pins. But in the animation they go up into the cabin. It's a bit hard to explain what I mean, so I've created a picture and highlighted these arm in green color. Maybe it helps.

This is already known but thanks for noticing and taking the effort to explain!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

vor 5 Minuten, The Dude sagte:

No, yet get what you see. Just real world data for the weight. Runways/wind/pressure/temp is not taken into consideration. Just ISA.

Yes it does. 

This is the default look for all types on this page. You will not see an CR7 or an CR1K.

This option is like a preset as the normal panel button does it job also. So you can use both, whatever floats your boat. ;)

This is already know but thanks for noticing and taking the effort to explain!

Thanks for taking time and answering! 👍

• Like 2

Loving these The Dude videos - giving us a real insight into what's coming in literally just over one week now! 

Love the detail gone into the EFB and the refuel panel being animated in the rear CB panel just shows how much detail has gone into this. Really can't wait to get my hands on it!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ModsWanted said:

Is it possible to change the content of the checklists in the EFB? I don't know if they maybe are saved as txt or csv files somewhere in a folder, or are they "hard-programmed" into the EFB?

36 minutes ago, The Dude said:

If this is possible it would be great for putting FS2crew checklists in

• Root Admin
7 minutes ago, EasternT3 said:

If this is possible it would be great for putting FS2crew checklists in

Sorry but no. 

Our checklist are based on Lufthansa standards and we'll stick to those. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

As I got nothing to say about the CRJ, let me bore you with an Interstate Race story.....

We are talking a long time ago. A loooong time ago. There were options to connect sims together via serial port (RS232 for people that are seriously old). There was no internet. Only BBS's.  And Compuserve (some day I will tell you I was banned from Compuserve because I forgot the add a 'f' to a single word'.). The device looked something like this but 5 times bigger. And clearly it had not USB ports as USB was no yet invented. 

STARTECH_ICUSB23216FD-01.png

So we had 8 teams for an Interstate race all connected to a hugely complex serial 'hub' that we rented from a weird Spanish company. Enrico had to write all drivers to make it work. But it did work, we could get the position, altitude, speed and heading of all players. So we could see who was winning, make some 'map' showing locations etc.  We even had a video beamer that did 320x320 resolution.

However, it took us 5 hours to get to all running.  It was hugely unstable, but it was also something nobody has ever done. Microsoft was very impressed!. So 3 hours late we started the race (17:00 local) and it more or less worked the whole night. At one time we notice some rather impressive sparks around the hub and found out all connections had to be on the same ground connection. I mean serious sparks. I mean not daring to get within 2 meters of the thing.  But as said it all more or less worked the whole night. At 07:00 the people of the museum we had the event in arrived and they switched on the exhibition lights.  That overloaded the power system and all fuses blew.  I was standing on a balcony at that moment and saw all lights go out, all screens go dark. 

At that time something utterly amazing happened. As all fans spooled down and total silence followed there was a 2 second of total silence.  And then you heard 200 people say, "ohhh shit",  exactly at the same moment. But I mean it was as if we trained it for weeks. It was one voice. 

Took us an hour to get the 'network' back up.  A German team won at 16:00. 

The year after that we had a 'real' network with network cars and coax cable. I still have all the coax network cards and all the coax cables here. 

I'm only too familiar with these ports, having worked in a well-known competitor to Dell back in 1999. 

As this is my first time taking to this forum, I wanted to share something that gave me a good laugh. I remember Mathijs mentioning something about a possible easter egg prior to the announcement of the release date, which I suppose was never found, but I noticed in the latest "The Dude" video that showed his tail registration in fact has the date in it, just backwards. I don't know if this is a pure coincidence or intended, but nonetheless it cracked me up to notice. I'll share a screenshot. "N613QX" in the top left. Excited for the release and enjoying the videos and reading through the forums. Everyone have a great day!

5acd16343a1e6fb09fe16037a6c47b69.png
https://gyazo.com/5acd16343a1e6fb09fe16037a6c47b69

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2