Aerosoft Aircraft: CRJ

Hans Hartmann

• Root Admin
2 minutes ago, thokle said:

First comment below the video: "Thank you for the video. I hope the nose up/down oscillations during climbing can be fix/tune down a bit. I think it’s a bit too radical right now."

Will you tweak this until release? Thanks!

Yes, it has been. But it really is something a CRJ does in some modes. You hardly feel it in the cabin but is is rather visible with a static viewpoint in the cockpit.  The CRJ also waggles it tail a bit.... like a happy dog.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, thokle said:

First comment below the video: "Thank you for the video. I hope the nose up/down oscillations during climbing can be fix/tune down a bit. I think it’s a bit too radical right now."

Will you tweak this until release? Thanks!

Must be someone used to aircraft with autothrottle and automatic VNAV. Oscillations in response to wind and turbulence are normal in aircraft following vertical speed/FLC modes with manual throttle.

Your speed isn't changing, so the only way for the aircraft to maintain these settings when influenced by external factors in the atmosphere is to change the pitch. You even see it in the video just above.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

I just had a skype chat with a friend.  he is a long time customer, flies PMDG737 most of the time. I found his comments so intriguing I asked if I could post them, he said yes.

Mathijs: I am sorry, I do not understand what you mean. You must have 500 hours on the PMDG 737 on IVAO, why would you think the CRJ is too complex for you? It is a less complex aircraft (more demanding to fly, but technically less complex).

myfriend: make that 616hours! And yes, I know the CRJ has less automation and I love that, a pilot is a guy with his hands on the controls, not a button pusher. My worries, you misunderstood, is not with the aircraft but with the videos of TheDude. They are bloody amazing but they show what a shitty pilot I am. He does so much that is near identical on my 737, that I have never done. The cross checks, the way almost any action is checked on the displays. Just the logical, methodical and step by step way he does things makes me understand I am just a very enthousiastic wannabee. 

As said you misunderstood, I will fly your CRJ to the end of the world, I will just have to watch TheDudes videos many times before I will do correctly. I used to love the YouTube guides to the 737 (and there are some good ones) but most seem to skim over a lot. Just the walk around, we all know that is not really functional in the sim, but still, what a cool video. The updated taxi and take off video shows so many things I am sure I should do, but I never did.

TheDude will make me a better simpilot in any aircraft! I love the way you said you do not only want to sell aircraft, but also the knowledge to fly it. I thought I was pretty damned good. But this hobby is about learning and TheDude did teach me a lot. Mostly that flying airliners is difficult.

I have to say this resonates with me. Everything I’ve watched so far has improved my attentiveness and thoroughness even in something as automated as the Airbus.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

I just had a skype chat with a friend.  he is a long time customer, flies PMDG737 most of the time. I found his comments so intriguing I asked if I could post them, he said yes.

Mathijs: I am sorry, I do not understand what you mean. You must have 500 hours on the PMDG 737 on IVAO, why would you think the CRJ is too complex for you? It is a less complex aircraft (more demanding to fly, but technically less complex).

myfriend: make that 616hours! And yes, I know the CRJ has less automation and I love that, a pilot is a guy with his hands on the controls, not a button pusher. My worries, you misunderstood, is not with the aircraft but with the videos of TheDude. They are bloody amazing but they show what a shitty pilot I am. He does so much that is near identical on my 737, that I have never done. The cross checks, the way almost any action is checked on the displays. Just the logical, methodical and step by step way he does things makes me understand I am just a very enthousiastic wannabee. 

As said you misunderstood, I will fly your CRJ to the end of the world, I will just have to watch TheDudes videos many times before I will do correctly. I used to love the YouTube guides to the 737 (and there are some good ones) but most seem to skim over a lot. Just the walk around, we all know that is not really functional in the sim, but still, what a cool video. The updated taxi and take off video shows so many things I am sure I should do, but I never did.

TheDude will make me a better simpilot in any aircraft! I love the way you said you do not only want to sell aircraft, but also the knowledge to fly it. I thought I was pretty damned good. But this hobby is about learning and TheDude did teach me a lot. Mostly that flying airliners is difficult.

Every time I add an extra piece of the puzzle, to my sim experience, I start enjoying it even more. I’m somewhat lazy, so it takes a long time but this has inspired me. 

• Upvote 1

vor 3 Stunden , fakeflyer737 sagte:

Can we the FMS to intercept an airway and join it? 

Normally it is not possible to intercept airways. But airways are actually nothing else but "lines" between points or naviagation facilities. In the RL CRJ it is possible to tell the FMS at what angle (radial) you want to intercept a waypoint, a beacon, a vor station or even the airport identifier. So if you know the course (written on any aviation navigation chart) of your airway to or from a desired waypoint, you technically would be able to intercept and continue on an airway. It's a bit difficult to explane it in words, how to do it in the MCDU, but I try it. So if you have the CRJ for P3D you could give it a go.  (I don't have P3D) 🙂

1. It is advisable to sync the HDG and switch on the HDG mode first.

2. On the legs page in the MCDU, type your desired waypoint into the scratchpad.

3. Press LSK L1 (Line Select Key Left 1 - top left button on the MCDU). -> This brings your just typed in waypoint to the top of the legs page (so this will be the next waypoint the aircraft would fly to, when you switch to NAV mode later on).

4. In the lower right corner on the MCDU display, you will now see a 3 digit number or dashes (depending on the routing programming)... we have to change it, if we want to intercept at a desired course.

5. Type your desired course into the scratchpad.

6. Press LSK R6 -> this overwrites the 3 digit number (or the dashes) with your input and the numbers are shown in a bigger font now.

7. Press EXEC -> this executes your modification and you should see a line leading to your waypoint on the MFD (Multi Function Display... on other aircraft types also called Navigation Display.)

8. Turn the HDG bug to an intercept heading to this line.

9. Press NAV mode and just wait until the airplane intercepts and follows it.

Now this must look like a ten minute programming of the whole airplane 😄 But it's not, actually it's just a couple of clicks. We use it frequently on approaches to give us better situational awareness by displaying the extended centerline of the runway we are approaching.

And now I realise that I have no clew, if this function is programmed in the Aerosoft CRJ?!!! 😄 But would be really cool, if it is?! I would love to try and record it, but as most of us, I have no access to the product. But maybe @The Dude  would find some time and record it? Just takes a couple of minutes 🙂 would be nice to see!

Best regards!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

I like your fiends thinking. And I think The Dudes videos also show another important aspect of being an airline pilot.

A lot of being any pilot is the mindset and attention to detail and I think this is especially true for airline pilots. Many people will skip or abbreviate things after doing them many times but (good) pilots can't afford to do that. Not if they want to maintain as much safety as possible. This is hard for humans to do, even with checklists! How many times can you properly read the same text over and over and over again?

So part of the difficulty is not just knowing the flying rules, being able to fly safely and comfortably, being able to know how to troubleshoot in the event of a 1 in a 1,000,000 failure. It is about maintaining focus and attention to detail flight in and flight out, day in day out.

It reminds me of a taxi driver I got a lift with once, he was telling me how taxi drivers are professionals because they drive so much. Meanwhile a part of his car was over the center line of the road and he was drifting all over the place. No, to be a professional you have to do your best and always seek to improve. Not just do something a lot and get complacent, which is what many of us do.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ModsWanted said:

Normally it is not possible to intercept airways. But airways are actually nothing else but "lines" between points or naviagation facilities. In the RL CRJ it is possible to tell the FMS at what angle (radial) you want to intercept a waypoint, a beacon, a vor station or even the airport identifier. So if you know the course (written on any aviation navigation chart) of your airway to or from a desired waypoint, you technically would be able to intercept and continue on an airway. It's a bit difficult to explane it in words, how to do it in the MCDU, but I try it. So if you have the CRJ for P3D you could give it a go.  (I don't have P3D) 🙂

1. It is advisable to sync the HDG and switch on the HDG mode first.

2. On the legs page in the MCDU, type your desired waypoint into the scratchpad.

3. Press LSK L1 (Line Select Key Left 1 - top left button on the MCDU). -> This brings your just typed in waypoint to the top of the legs page (so this will be the next waypoint the aircraft would fly to, when you switch to NAV mode later on).

4. In the lower right corner on the MCDU display, you will now see a 3 digit number or dashes (depending on the routing programming)... we have to change it, if we want to intercept at a desired course.

5. Type your desired course into the scratchpad.

6. Press LSK R6 -> this overwrites the 3 digit number (or the dashes) with your input and the numbers are shown in a bigger font now.

7. Press EXEC -> this executes your modification and you should see a line leading to your waypoint on the MFD (Multi Function Display... on other aircraft types also called Navigation Display.)

8. Turn the HDG bug to an intercept heading to this line.

9. Press NAV mode and just wait until the airplane intercepts and follows it.

Now this must look like a ten minute programming of the whole airplane 😄 But it's not, actually it's just a couple of clicks. We use it frequently on approaches to give us better situational awareness by displaying the extended centerline of the runway we are approaching.

And now I realise that I have no clew, if this function is programmed in the Aerosoft CRJ?!!! 😄 But would be really cool, if it is?! I would love to try and record it, but as most of us, I have no access to the product. But maybe @The Dude  would find some time and record it? Just takes a couple of minutes 🙂 would be nice to see!

Best regards!

Thank you! I assumed all modern jets can do it. The G1000 I fly in the Da40 can do it. I just wanted to know if it can be done in the Aerosoft version. Thanks a lot for the explanation! 

Hallo @Mathijs Kok I might be a little bit late with my suggestion ;) and I really do not want to get on your nerves or sound like a "I-know-it-better-guy", but could you please ask/suggest to the awesome team of the Aerosoft CRJ developers to implement a more characteristic sounds for/of the take off roll, gear up, down and landing roll? It adds so much to the total immersion.  Below is a YouTube video demonstrating my idea. Greetings and looking forward to the release date + thank you for the great tutorial videos!

• Like 3

• Deputy Sheriffs

That is one of the coolest dudes I have seen sofar; leaving your hand on the glareshield during the take off is deffo laid back to the extreme. He probably did that just for the video. :)

• Like 4

• Deputy Sheriffs
14 minutes ago, AMirek Tavakoli said:

Hallo @The Dude, totally agree with you! Super cool pilot and super cool ground roll and gear retracting sounds ;) 

Yeah, but now we have two different cases:

- cam microphone without ANC

- Pilot ears covered by headset with ANC

I don’t know what is modeled, or if we have two Soundsets. Just something to keep in mind when comparing the sounds in the VC with a video.

vor 24 Minuten, masterhawk sagte:

I don’t know what is modeled, or if we have two Soundsets. Just something to keep in mind when comparing the sounds in the VC with a video.

That's absolutely correct. But you still hear the difference. When you have the ANC activated, you still hear this roll of the nose wheel, especially on grooved runways. At the moment of rotation, when the nosewheel leaves the ground, you hear and feel a light vibration/rattlling (like in the video). When the nose gear is up, you also hear how the tire rubs on the braking pads in the NLG bay and stops rotating. When the NLG doors close, the wind sound reduces also.

I would say, the difference is just, that almost everything is a bit dampened with ANC on. The only big difference is, that the engine sound is a lot quieter, than with ANC off.

I agree, that sounds definetly have a big impact on immersion of the flight experience, especially playing in VR. But I think, that a sound package, is also absolutely ok, when it's patched at a certain update. Doesn't have to be perfect from the 1st scond.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, masterhawk said:

Great points.

MSFS has a built in 'headphone simulation' option in the sound settings. So one would assume the default for all aircraft in this sim is without. Not 100% sure how this works though and what sounds it attenuates to achieve the effect.

Though having said that I don't know if this would apply to add on aircraft as I know some in the past have implemented their own sound sliders.

2 hours ago, masterhawk said:

Hello @masterhawkYes, absolutely true. However I was more referring to the fact that a "Good game feel requires appropriate, impactful, and pleasing (non-repetitive) sound effects". Since I have fortunately the experience with the "sound environment" in the cockpit and cockpit sounds in PC simulators,  I think that "some sound effects" really add immersion and make you actually feel/imagine those light vibrations/rattling, which of course are not possible to be experience if sitting in front of a home PC (it's only an audio-visual experience), unless you have mounted your chair and other simulator related "stuff" on a 6 DOF moving platform, which also simulates those vibrations etc. However, I think that you guys at Aerosoft have enough experience/knowledge to create awesome products/deal with such "stuff" since many, many years and from the super nice tutorial videos from @The Dude one can see how SUPER AWESOME the CRJ will be. I am already in love with it as it is; fortunately my wife still supports me some times-happens less over the years-serving me coffee during my "simflights" as my Flightsimulator-chief-flight-attendant adding some other "extra" immersion to my hobby :DI got promised to get one of those coffees served at 16th March "sitting" in Aerosoft's CRJ, taking of from Paderborn ;) flying to my beloved old hometown Nuernberg. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• Deputy Sheriffs
10 minutes ago, AMirek Tavakoli said:

However, I think that you guys at Aerosoft have enough experience/knowledge

Cue in for Mathijs answering with his F16 FSX story in 3,2,1..... ;) 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Cue in for Mathijs answering with his F16 FSX story in 3,2,1..... ;) 

We need that laughing reaction back for posts like these...

vor 30 Minuten, Mathijs Kok sagte:

And here it comes....

Long time ago, our first release of the F-16. Now I grew up in an air-force family. My father was the guy who was in charge of getting the F-16's integrated in the Dutch Air-Force. As he was a fighter pilot himself he said he ABSOLUTELY needed to know what the aircraft was before he could do that. So he was one of the oldest guys ever to be in the US to qualify. Needless to say he knew what he was talking about. So he helped me a lot when we did that project. 

When it came to sounds we asked him to carry a small mike in his helmet so we could get the tone correct. And we got it damned good. Every F-16 pilot would recognize it. But when we shipped the product the customers hated it. They did not hear thee engine howl and whine. In fact they hardly heard the engine. Exactly as a real F-16 pilot does not hear the engine.

So ever since the product ships with what is basically the external sound with a few high notes removed. Utterly unrealistic but customers love it. They simply do not accept that an F-16 pilot hears hardly any engine.  We did offer an alternative correct sound set as a download but I think 4 people downloaded that, so we removed it.

Thanks for the story! And unfortunately an understandable one... customers are sometimes strange 😄 But if you intend to provide a sound package for CRJ as well, please please please do it! And don't remove it 😄 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I would bet that most customers only experience the CRJ as a passenger (or watching one fly by), so that is their expectation of what it should sound like. 

I remember being totally shocked at the difference in the sound of the engines in a B737 or A320 when sitting behind the wing (more of a roar) vs. near the front (more of a buzz).  Prior to experiencing it, I probably would have complained that the sound package was wrong too...

• Like 2