Aerosoft Aircraft: CRJ

Hans Hartmann

Speaking as someone, who a couple of weeks ago, thought the mcdu was basically witchcraft - I would definitely recommend learning. It took me a few videos to get the logic and structure, after that it clicked and seemed so simple (which it really is).

I absolutely love manually entering plans now, really steps up the depth and engagement that extra step. I find auto loading really boring now.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Veikko said:

Not sure if mentioned but there was a small bug revealed in the Takeoff video. Seat belt light was ON longer than normal due to clouds but cabin crew announced that they'll be serving sandwiches. They should wait for the seat belt lights to turn OFF. :) 

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

Yeah, it would be nice if the announcement is linked to the seatbelts and not FL100. I will pass it on to Hans. Thanks!

As a RW CRJ Captain, I respectfully disagree! Airlines have differing policies about this, but in all the workplaces I know of, cabin crew begin their duties after exiting sterile flight deck at 10,000 feet. This is unless they are explicitly told not to by the captain in anticipation of rough air. There are a few reasons for this, one being that they are far more skilled at standing through turbulence than your average passenger. In addition, if you turn off the seatbelt sign as the cabin crew begins service, you’re creating a problem (especially in the 700/550) by allowing pax to stand in the aisles while the carts are performing their service. The 700 usually has a single lavatory at the front, so everyone will be crowding the drink cart trying to do their business while the FAs are doing their service. 

• Like 7
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, JRBarrett said:

Although leaving the APU running to supply bleed air for the packs during takeoff really isn’t required for performance reasons on the 700/900 (unlike the under-powered 200), I wonder if some operators might still do it on the 700/900 at a high altitude airport on an ISA+ day? KASE in summer comes to mind.

Only when we don't have the performance to do a takeoff with the bleeds on here. Last time I did it was about 6 months ago in El Paso on a 105F 41C day trying to get off of 8R (22 was closed on the hottest day of the year). One degree hotter and we would have had to start taking bags and or people off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

vor 25 Minuten, Ehoyt sagte:

As a RW CRJ Captain, I respectfully disagree! Airlines have differing policies about this, but in all the workplaces I know of, cabin crew begin their duties after exiting sterile flight deck at 10,000 feet. This is unless they are explicitly told not to by the captain in anticipation of rough air. There are a few reasons for this, one being that they are far more skilled at standing through turbulence than your average passenger. In addition, if you turn off the seatbelt sign as the cabin crew begins service, you’re creating a problem (especially in the 700/550) by allowing pax to stand in the aisles while the carts are performing their service. The 700 usually has a single lavatory at the front, so everyone will be crowding the drink cart trying to do their business while the FAs are doing their service. 

It's always nice to have some input of real pilots :) Thank you 👍

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ehoyt said:

Completely agree with this. In the US at least, cabin service routinely begins once the pilots alert the cabin crew to ascending through 10,000 ft. This also coincides with WiFi enablement. From a coding perspective, is the right solution to trigger the cabin service announcement once the cabin crew is alerted to ascending above 10,000 ft (is toggling the no smoking light used yet for this in the CRJ?)? Perhaps two variables for the coding - enable eligibility for the announcement either based on altitude or perhaps some other departure status indicator (gear up or clean wing config?) and then trigger the announcement once the no smoking lights are toggled.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

If I may make a suggestion.  It's good to have a very detailed manual explaining everything and every switches from cold start until landing and then turn off everything.

But we also need a minimalist tutorial.   Starting from Warm start , with the MSFS flight plan in the system (FMS), Take off from the runway Point A to Pint B as per the Flight plan and an  ILS approach to land.   With a possibility  of keying in the ILS freq.

All C programmers know the book by kernighan and ritchie. It starts with a simple program in C to print "Hello World". Voila. We can all learn to write our first C code in less than 10 minutes. 

Then comes in all the other fillers.  This is how I learned to fly the 747 from PMDG. I found A two page  online tutorial. It gave me a sense of achievement and then later on deep dived into other details at my own pace.

I hope someone here would help put such a thing together. It would help many of us transition into the CRJ.

:)

Thanks

Manny

• Like 2

Here's a pro tip for Y'all. When flying a US style R-nav arrival with altitude windows learn to manipulate the Vnav path angle and fly the snowflake. On line I normally use 3.0 degrees, 2.8 if i have a stronger tailwind. Not the most fuel efficient path but it gives me some fuel savings with the ability to slow down for fixes without momentarily leveling off so that the ride stays smooth for my passengers. Some guys use 3.5 some use 2.5 etc. Play around with it and really get to learn what the aircraft is capable of.

• Like 1

• Deputy Sheriffs
10 hours ago, Ehoyt said:

As a RW CRJ Captain, I respectfully disagree!

No need to do that. You said it yourself: "but in all the workplaces I know of".  There are more workplaces than both of us can even imagine. ;) 

I have flown the same aircraft IRL with three different company SOPs and all training departments told me it was very unsafe if we did not adhere to their very specific SOP. And guess what; they were all safe and sound, just different.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• Deputy Sheriffs
4 hours ago, Manny said:

But we also need a minimalist tutorial.   Starting from Warm start , with the MSFS flight plan in the system (FMS), Take off from the runway Point A to Pint B as per the Flight plan and an  ILS approach to land.   With a possibility  of keying in the ILS freq.

There is a guy at Avsim called Nyxx that makes excellent short "do-lists" for different aircraft and now also the CRJ. Maybe that would be something for you! Chuck will probably also have something nice later on after release, although his guides are a bit more indepth. The best thing would be if Laobi would do one I guess ;)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Manny said:

If I may make a suggestion.  It's good to have a very detailed manual explaining everything and every switches from cold start until landing and then turn off everything.

I second this. I am a pure GA flyer and I doubt this will change for the rest of my life. I am not going to learn all the ins and outs of a captain to fly an airliner according to the book which others may have fun with. However, given a tutorial like Manny says, even me would be tempted to give the CRJ a spin.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Deputy Sheriffs

The MSFS flightplan can not be inserted yet but I could do a short video flying from EDDM to LOWS starting from the runway with engines running if it would help the casual flyer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The MSFS flightplan can not be inserted yet but I could do a short video flying from EDDM to LOWS starting from the runway with engines running if it would help the casual flyer.

Thanks for the quick reply, that would be very kind.

Best regards, Michael

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Deputy Sheriffs

OK, just had a talk with Mathijs and I will make a video for the casual player. But it is up to you to give suggestions on what route to fly.

It should be something default or included in the world updates. No payware airports and the flight should be short. We do not want to bore you with a long video. 

Looking forward to some nice suggestions!

ps, the casual player should be able to fly this him/herself so no circlings in Innsbruck or Paro approaches for this one please. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

OK, just had a talk with Mathijs and I will make a video for the casual player. But it is up to you to give suggestions on what route to fly.

It should be something default or included in the world updates. No payware airports and the flight should be short. We do not want to bore you with a long video. 

SBGL (Rio) to SBGR (San Paulo) is 40 minutes air time and Rio is handcrafted it's a pretty scenic run for a jet and gives you enough time to demonstrate all procedures.  An alternative is SBGR  for RNAV approaches into SBRJ right in the middle of Rio bay.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

LFRS-LFLL (53 min, real route) would be good, hope it's not too long, otherwise you can do LFRS-LFBO (48 min, often operated by a BelugaXL) or LFRS-LFBD (34 min)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

ps, the casual player should be able to fly this him/herself so no circlings in Innsbruck or Paro approaches for this one please. 

Thanks a lot, that would be really helpful for a Noob's quick start. EDDM - LOWI (or LOWS) would be a perfect fit, in my mind. Just use the default airports.

Kind regards, Michael

• Thanks 1

vor 34 Minuten, pmb sagte:

I second this. I am a pure GA flyer and I doubt this will change for the rest of my life. I am not going to learn all the ins and outs of a captain to fly an airliner according to the book which others may have fun with. However, given a tutorial like Manny says, even me would be tempted to give the CRJ a spin.

Kind regards, Michael

I love GA as well, but it's difficult  to compare the procedures of a "kick the tire, light fire" airplane (no offense!) to an airplane with demanding systems, which was designed as a Multi-Crew-Concept aircraft. If people want to go from "cold and dark" to "airborne" without knowing what certain buttons and switches do, it might be rather frustrating than enjoyable.

I think from developer and user-friendly view it would be a good solution to implement aircraft states, if it's not already done! This would be very handy and a good mix of simulation and "hop in and go". Especially if you just want to get airborne quickly and practice some approaches or so.

This could look like something like that.

State "Cold and Dark": Well... as the name says, everything off, you are on your own.

State "Turnaround": A typical turnaround scenario, with GPU or APU on, IRS aligned, good amount of fuel, and so on.

State "Ready for Departure": Typical take-off state, Engines on, Flaps 8, APU off, Packs on, Trim according MAC, all necessary lights on, and so on. So you can just taxi to the runway and go.

The lack of possibility of importing MSFS flight plan is of course not the best situation in terms of "hop in and go". I can imagine that the formats are so different that a lot of work would be needed to make it happen, if it's possible at all. But honestly, would you really attach importance to a correctly filled flight plan with all waypoints and constraints, if you anyways just want give it a spin and do some touch and goes? I think it is more important for these people just to get of the ground as quickly as possiple and go for aspin.

Best regards, Eddi

• Root Admin
13 hours ago, Exile1 said:

Sorry for my ignorance but I’m new to this stuff. Will I have to drop the navigraph data into a CRJ folder as well, or just leave it in the community folder? 

The Navigraph tool will do that for you. But again we deliver an up to date data base so the first few months I would not really think about it.

• Like 3

• Root Admin
12 hours ago, DGH said:

but when you share with MS ... is that uploaded instantly by them or do we have to wait 14 days before they update the marketplace  ( worse case scenario)

That's simply out of our hands, so I can't say. I do know they are trying to speed things up.

• Like 2

• Deputy Sheriffs
3 minutes ago, ModsWanted said:

I think from developer and user-friendly view it would be a good solution to implement aircraft states, if it's not already done!

Already implemented! 

vor 5 Minuten, The Dude sagte:

Already implemented! 

Thanks for the info, perfect! Then I don't see any trouble for any casual player to take off, speed up and retract gears and flaps. Use of automation can be used in standard modes like HDG or NAV and VS, same as any G1000 is able to do. Just high attention to the speed must be set, as we know... no Autothrust/throttle 😄

13 minutes ago, The Dude said:

LEIB - LEPA? Its a fairly short flight and somewhere different

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Guys, a series of these simple and straight forward CRJ flights could be the key to mass acceptance.  3 or 4 flight tutorials of an hour or less sounds really encouraging to me.  Maybe one in the USA would be a good idea.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, EasternT3 said:

LEIB - LEPA? Its a fairly short flight and somewhere different

It's a bit too short I think (27 mins air time on Simbrief), if you want in the same zone there is LEIB-LEBL with this route 

EPAM1F EPAMA A293 MARTA MART1Z

which gives at least 40 mins of flight time