vor 4 Minuten, Mathijs Kok sagte:

You have never tried to sleep in a Concorde cabin.  Let me make this a contest, the first person who posts the ID of the Concorde I slept in wins a free CRJ. Some more clues. It is in Paris and it was a prototype. And damned cold in April.

F-WTSS

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dear friends, we are really sorry this message is released later then we hoped.   We are excited to announce that the Aerosoft CRJ 550/700 for the Microsoft Flight Simulator will be released

I will add my support to Mathijs sentiment here.  One of the things we constantly try to snuff out is this popular meme that developers are all in competition with one another like newspaper barkers o

My sincerest apologies for this situation - it was a couple members of our team who exercised rather poor judgement, and they have been spoken to. I assure you this won't happen again. We have the hig

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

You have never tried to sleep in a Concorde cabin.  Let me make this a contest, the first person who posts the ID of the Concorde I slept in wins a free CRJ. Some more clues. It is in Paris and it was a prototype. And damned cold in April.

And i'm late. 

• Like 1

Mathijs Kok

• Aerosoft Forum Administrator

Sounds like fun in sim training contest with rapid decompression.

I spent a lot of my life flying a twin jet at FL450.  At that altitude you have an effective consciousness of about 0.5 sec.  NASA training taught me this in real life training, in the altitude chamber. 

Each time I trained in the RL sim,  I would bring in things like this to try out, so that I would have an understanding of what to do if it ever happened in real life.

One night, IRL, coming out of NYC, climbing out of FL300 there was an extremely loud explosion sound at the back of the aircraft.  I thought the entire tail had separated from the aircraft.  I was in left seat, my copilot was - I don't know what he was doing.  I leaned over him and could see the cabin altitude gauge spinning like a basketball on the tip of the finger.

I dropped flaps, gear and speed brake, hung it on the right wing and dove for the earth. At that altitude I expected to reach 10,000' very quickly - JUST LIKE I PRACTICED IT IN THE SIM OVER AND OVER. 

There was no conscious decision, it was instant motor memory from so much repetition.  No time to pull a manual and figure out what to do in the dark when seconds literally count. (I know this sounds like bad pilot procedure, but in this case it was the correct procedure.)

That night we landed safely with two pilots, MY MOTHER AND MY PREGNANT WIFE on board.  All safe because of flight simulator training.  I only wish I had had access to a model such as your CRJ.

Those who fly for a living have many many stories similar, as situations like this over a career, are more than we would like to see.  This situation was due to a 6" pressurization conduit coming loose from the main bulkhead, but it sounded like the plane had exploded.  No ones fault, in the air or in maintenance - it just happened.

Now days, I am retired, but I look forward to this CRJ to keep mental acuity alert and ever presently ready.

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2
29 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

F-WTSS (001) 

2 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Not tested in any way at this moment. Drop me a mail at mathijs.kok@aerosoft.com. We could use the information.

I could also offer an VR testing if you need it, I have a rift S and have been using it fairly extensively between MSFS and X-Plane.

10 minutes ago, bluemoon51 said:

Something technical, I assume its the case but are the flows the same for all four models of the CRJ? 

I think they are unless the 900/1000 has an extra switch or two, thedude can probably confirm but doesn’t the CRJ typerating cover the 550, 700, 900 and 1000

Another technical question, I’m not sure if it’s been answered and not spotted it in the manuals but the 700 (and the 900/1000) have you based it on the standard, ER or LR model?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Deputy Sheriffs

The flow itself you can always use. It will make sure that you „visit“ every panel and switch/button.

There may be small differences between different models but nothing big. Newer models have a different RTU and some have ADS lights/switches or other small retrofit stuff like different „Skycams“. 

The AS CRJ models will have the same cockpit layout so what works for the 550 will work for the 1000 also. 

• Like 5

Yeah I do hope it performs "well enough" in VR as flying in VR is amazing. Hopefully The Dude comes back with some info on that as well.

Have a Vive, Rift S, Quest 2 and Reverb G2 so I guess if the performance is not great can drop down the resolution order of headsets :)

I find vr in msfs super blurry and kinda jittery for no good reason. I also wish Asobo would make the cursor stick to the surfaces in the cockpit so you can actually click everything. Until fixes happen I don't feel like VR is in a great place :(

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Swagbasket said:

I find vr in msfs super blurry and kinda jittery for no good reason. I also wish Asobo would make the cursor stick to the surfaces in the cockpit so you can actually click everything. Until fixes happen I don't feel like VR is in a great place :(

I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds it blurry!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

These things will always happen when I'm not there, won't they? :(

Oh, well. I have and still am translating manuals, so I'll get it that way. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, EasternT3 said:

I think they are unless the 900/1000 has an extra switch or two, thedude can probably confirm but doesn’t the CRJ typerating cover the 550, 700, 900 and 1000

Another technical question, I’m not sure if it’s been answered and not spotted it in the manuals but the 700 (and the 900/1000) have you based it on the standard, ER or LR model?

Yes, the type rating actually covers the 200 as well in addition to those you mentioned. The only requirement is a very short and simple differences course, usually a day or two maximum. The flows are the same and the cockpit layouts are the same, however slightly different in the 200 model for a few systems. Former CRJ 200/700/900 pilot here

• Like 2
On 2/26/2021 at 7:23 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

when you load the 550 and the 700 for the first time in the simulator there is a translation done from the C++ code to the WASM code the sim needs. Even on a high performance system this takes minutes. Now I know installers often say to be patient for 'minutes' to do something and it takes seconds, but in this case it will be minutes. On both, the MS Store as well as the Steam version of MSFS it takes about 5-8 minutes on a current high performance PC. On older and/or slower machines, this time can easily extend beyond 10 minutes.  And all that time MFS will not show anything and be unresponsive.  This behavior might also be visible after an update.

After that "first time" and waiting for 7-10 minutes, it won't happen again, right? or are we talking about waiting 7-10 minutes each time we want to fly the CRJ in MSFS?

48 minutes ago, EvidencePlz said:

After that "first time" and waiting for 7-10 minutes, it won't happen again, right? or are we talking about waiting 7-10 minutes each time we want to fly the CRJ in MSFS?

yeah only first time..

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Yes, we hear that more often. But in my (our) minds it makes no sense. 

See, we are playing airline pilot here, and they do not get to play with their aircraft to see when they break when they are abused. It also leads to massive support issues because many hobby pilots simply would not understand the relation between something they did 10 minutes ago and an effect later. Our average customer watches a lot of YouTube videos and has a beer, a real airline crew consists of two highly trained professionals who are sober.  I know many people do not like to hear this, but it is a bit silly to expect one person with a few manuals to be able to handle things that in real life max out a professional crew.  Real flight crew are seriously trained people. 

-----------------------------------

Sit down, take a drink and let me tell you a story.

For 20 years me and some friends organized 'Interstate Races'. They would be international events where invited teams would compete. They were often 24 hours and when possible organised in a very cool place like an aviation museum. Is it not your dream to be locked up in a  massive aviation museum at night? I caught a few hours sleep in the cockpit of a Concorde!

At these events we always used a bit of software created my my good friend Enrico Schiratti. At first that software had not name but the crews started to call it 'Satan' so that name stuck. The software could basically mess up everything. When a crew had a destination city in view we put in clouds and added 150 knots crosswind for a few minutes.  No team ever did the last landing of the race with all engines running. And never without everybody else standing behind the team making comments like 'If I were flying this would be a fine time to lower the gear....'  Stress the crew out maximum and see if they could handle it. Rule was that team captain had to do that landing.

We done dozens of failures. And the teams that were invited were very serious simmers. I mean, people who live in PMDG aircraft (we often used those for the races). And they jury always had at least 25% real airline pilots.  And in all those years there was only one Austrian team (captain was Simon Hradecky, a name you should know btw) who we could not trick into incorrect behavior.  But these were basically all pro pilots. 

Now I am going to tell you about one problem we threw to the teams.  Let me set the stage. 03:15 at night, all teams were flying a 737 over Alaska, close together.  Three hour leg, perfect weather... we had some music going in the hall. We did all to make them as relaxed as possible.  What they did not notice that we had one of our organizers with every team. Making small talk, asking if they needed some coffee.  They also did not notice every organizer carried a cardboard box. 

At 03:16 we set of some fireworks (and yes we got into some problems with the hotel that event was held in) in the hall. At the same time the person of our team with each team started to shout 'explosive decompression, explosive decompression" and shaking the seats the crew was in. Basically creating as much chaos as possible.  They also held up the cardboard box in front of the crew and let three oxygen masks drop out (we allowed three person crews for long legs).

Now I am not 100% sure of the correct procedure but if I recall the teams got 3 points (10 max) if they:

• Donned the masks
  • Captain taking control if he did not have it
  • Started an max angle descend 
  • Check is the other people on the flightdeck had masks on

Now all crews got this more or less right. Not all very fast though Many just sat there with big eyes.

They would get 3 more points if they would

• Divide tasks (fly, inform pax, talk to ground, manage etc)
  • Fiddle with the cabin pressure controls to make sure you have max air inflow

Now here started to get serious funny as they had to communicate wearing the masks. I remember a French team resulting to shouting as loud as possible and it all sounding like MWGHRGGUU ARNGGHTRRE MERDE. The Austrian team removed there mask while speaking.  They were clearly thinking. As they had a third crew member on the flight deck they told him to take a few very large breaths and go in the cabin to assist the crew there.  That got them an additional point.  Very cool. The Captain said they could handle the emergency and was worried about his pax.  Flight attendants are trained, but only to a certain point. He had resources and used them.

The last four points they got if

• They would change course 45 degrees while making their emergency descend

See, they were flying a busy airway with aircraft on the same course below them. Descending into their path would just add more danger. If I recall there is even a prefered left or right way to turn. As you got to get below FL1000 asap you simply do not have the time to depend on ATC to clear your path, the captain got to reduce risks as much as possible.

But is was not over. We led them believe the leak was 'plugged' by the stuff that was sucked into the hole. So they were able to manage to keep solid pressure in the cabin. To our amazement some crews decided to continue to the planned destination. Even though that is just silly and even more because flying at FL100 and not FL300 would mean they simply would not enough fuel left to stay within the regulations.  So they managed a problem but did not think about the results completely. Only the Austrian team got everything right. Without stress. We have a problem, let's solve it. Handle the immediate issue, stabilize the issue, make sure the pax are okay, see how it affects the rest of the trip. That's is why you got two people in the front. 

An airline captain makes a lot of money if he has thousands of hours of experience. That is for a good reason. And that is why I have not a huge amount of confidence in simmers able to handle emergencies in an realistic setting. One that does not have a pause button. 

Tales from what we among each other call ol'farts. If you want more stories about Interstate Races about when we nearly blew up (I mean seriously, flames) every system connected, or when we had an event where 100 people said 'Ohhhhh shit" at the same time, or when we got into problems with the police or when we blew the fuses at a complete museum, or when Enrico edited the code of 'Satan' (perhaps 'Son Of Satan')  in real time on screen that was eight by twelve meters. Talk about pressure. 

Just let me know. Perhaps it will keep your mind from the CRJ release date.

Google our Interstate Races, you will find pictures that show me and a lot of the friends with a lot more hair (or different color hair) then we have now. 

-----------------------------

And Enrico and I are planning a new Interstate when we beaten corona. We got the plan, we got the route, we got the place. It will be called 'The Last Waltz" as it will be the last time we will organize something like that.

@Mathijs Kok thank you for the tale, loved reading it and found some nice article from good old times:

https://fshistory.simflight.com/fsfan/Interstate 8 Krefeld, Germany.htm

BTW, my good friends have purchased some CRJ's for their airline under Echo Papa...registration and testing them now. I had the opportunity to see & feel the real thing and guess what: I am looking forward to the release of your CRJ!

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Chris Torres said:

And how is that possible when the tutorials are done in piecemeal?

If you're not satisfied with the free material being provided I'm sure a $20,000 CRJ endorsement will prepare you for the Sim 🙃

(When I did my real life endorsement it consisted of 15 full motion simulator sessions. Piecemeal is nothing new in the industry)

• Like 4