Aerosoft Aircraft: CRJ

Hans Hartmann

• Root Admin
32 minutes ago, riskas123 said:

I think what @xiao8080 meant is that on some peripherals (for instance the Saitek/Logitech quadrant) the reverse part is technically not on the same axis and is technically a "button" as far as MFS is concerned, there's either MAX or no reverse. Some quadrants may have reverse on the actual axis (I wouldn't know because I have flown with the Saitek for all of my time as a FlightSimmer) but the concern is that that might not work with the configuration in the EFB, if not I suppose default reverse key assignments work on the CRJ? I've gotten pretty used to mine by now.

I will ask Cedric, our hardware guy to give some comment on this because I am just a button clicker at heart.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Gasoline said:

I do hope we can just use a modifier button for reversers because having to be super careful when going to idle on a throttle with no detents would not be fun

Well, there's an option in the EFB for "Axis has no reverse thrust" and you could just tick that and do it with your mouse, the axis in mfs is definitely tied to the reverse in the CRJ, I was just asking to be sure.

I also have the Saitek Quadrant and i have solved this by assigning "Throttle decrease" to the throttle axis button. Upon touch down I pull back the handle and the throttle goes into full reverse, it's all or nothing but works just fine IMHO. 

1 minute ago, zenit_swe said:

I also have the Saitek Quadrant and i have solved this by assigning "Throttle decrease" to the throttle axis button. Upon touch down I pull back the handle and the throttle goes into full reverse, it's all or nothing but works just fine IMHO. 

Oh, really? Thanks dude, It's way better than my assignment... I've set the T3 button on the quadrant to toggle between reverse on/off and then use the throttle in the same way to reverse as to go forward, kinda like in a car. I think I'll adopt your method lol

16 minutes ago, riskas123 said:

Well, there's an option in the EFB for "Axis has no reverse thrust" and you could just tick that and do it with your mouse, the axis in mfs is definitely tied to the reverse in the CRJ, I was just asking to be sure.

Could I tick that and just use my normal F4-F5 key?

8 minutes ago, riskas123 said:

Oh, really? Thanks dude, It's way better than my assignment... I've set the T3 button on the quadrant to toggle between reverse on/off and then use the throttle in the same way to reverse as to go forward, kinda like in a car. I think I'll adopt your method lol

I should perhaps mention that I have all my assignments in FSUIPC, but I'm pretty sure you can assign a button to "decrease thrust" in MSFS as well. But as I said, you don't get any control of the amount of reverse thrust but if you're OK with that it's a great solution

• Deputy Sheriffs

If your quadrant doesn't have a lever portion specifically devoted to reverser, such as the TCA throttle, you can trigger the reverser by assigning a button to the "DECREASE THROTTLE" function.

Use this when the throttle quadrant has a detent that triggers an input, such as the Saitek-Logitech quadrant. Otherwise, the reversers are triggered when the throttle levers reach a certain level as set in the CRJconfigurator.

If you got any question about this, just ask, okay?

vor 5 Minuten, Mathijs Kok sagte:

I started with FS as a hobby because I could not pay for flight lessons. I stayed in the hobby because I could fly aircraft I could not afford to take lessons in later on. But more and more it was the community that attracted me most. Flightsimmers are weird. They spend their hobby time learning something new. Because that is what flight simulator is about. Learning new skills. Not how to shoot down zombies faster, but how to get a mental picture in your head about a complex approach. Not only skill, but also knowledge.  If ATC asked you if you can do a direct to this and that VOR and arrive at that altitude, you do not have time to make calculations, you got to have the answer somewhere in the back of your mind. Yes, we can do that in this aircraft, with this weather. Or no way, the passengers would start to scream if we try. 

Beautifully said. Simming is a great way to do both - relax and learn. :)

• Like 4

• Root Admin
7 minutes ago, zenit_swe said:

I should perhaps mention that I have all my assignments in FSUIPC, but I'm pretty sure you can assign a button to "decrease thrust" in MSFS as well. But as I said, you don't get any control of the amount of reverse thrust but if you're OK with that it's a great solution

I promise, I will really bother Hans about this when things calm down. Feel free to remind me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Ccurrie5 said:

Could I tick that and just use my normal F4-F5 key?

Yeah, I guess. If you don't have a throttle axis then that's what you should do. If you do have an axis I'm pretty sure you can either use F4-F5 or set your own (easier to reach) keybind to switch between reverse on/off.

On 2/23/2021 at 1:05 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

Okay okay, we'll admit. The CRJ has wing flex. But not the 'floppy' wings I see so often in other aircraft. This is pretty sophisticated stuff with it's own controller. Only that way could we get the 10 Hz 'vibrations' of the short wings. Very noticeable on the ground. We believe it is damned cool because it is not done as a gimmick but really as realistic as possible. 

I think we need to update the first post as a FAQ now... so we can just direct people to that. And of course it can be update as new info is announced (wing flex!)

37 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

While it is frustrating not being able to give the release date and having to hide some stuff. I, and the complete team behind this project (I am really just the assigned figurehead, the real aces are the developers, I type, they code and model), thoroughly enjoy the conversation here

I think having no (public) release date till the end is the best thing, the amount of times AAA games like COD have set dates, have to release and have bad responses because they have been rushed, resulting in 5 patches in the first week are quite high. I'd rather see what Aerosoft have done and delay the project/keep the date quiet so it can release perfect, that being said I'm wishing it was Monday and have my email already drafted to Mathijs ;) 

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Wait.... and the Illuminati have nothing to do with it. Riiiiight.... Oh you poor misguided soul. 

Might I make a short personal comment? 

While it is frustrating not being able to give the release date and having to hide some stuff. I, and the complete team behind this project (I am really just the assigned figurehead, the real aces are the developers, I type, they code and model), thoroughly enjoy the conversation here.  Sure, there are hiccups and sometimes tempers flare. But this is 2021 and the internet, right? 

But let me tell you, the whole team reads these posts and love the enthusiasm, support and general spirit. It means a lot to us. We have always tried to include the people who pay for the product, see how the product is made (insert joke about sausage here). Even when thing did not go as planned. 

I started with FS as a hobby because I could not pay for flight lessons. I stayed in the hobby because I could fly aircraft I could not afford to take lessons in later on. But more and more it was the community that attracted me most. Flightsimmers are weird. They spend their hobby time learning something new. Because that is what flight simulator is about. Learning new skills. Not how to shoot down zombies faster, but how to get a mental picture in your head about a complex approach. Not only skill, but also knowledge.  If ATC asked you if you can do a direct to this and that VOR and arrive at that altitude, you do not have time to make calculations, you got to have the answer somewhere in the back of your mind. Yes, we can do that in this aircraft, with this weather. Or no way, the passengers would start to scream if we try. 

Now people who do that as a hobby are almost always people I can have a conversation with over a beer in a hotel lobby (remember pre-covid?). They are not stupid, they almost always have something to say.  They are also willing to assist other people. The real cool once remember the first time they done a low ceiling ILS landing and saw the runway magically appear in front of them when the broke the cloud cover at 250 feet. The first time you do that is magical. You solved a problem.  Now add 20 knots of crosswind and do it again.  As said, flight simming is learning, seeking new challenges. Exploring new airports.

_________

100% agree. We are always learning. Even when flying in the real world. Things change, things get better and we need to learn more and more. We don't know everything and we can give it our best shot. When things don't go to plan, we adapt and turn the situation into a good one. 

Even low ceiling ILS landings are still exciting- especially when you think the ILS has completely messed up and you're expecting a field and you give your FO that look.  😂 

Thanks for all your hard work !! 🙌🤜🤛

• Like 5

As always it has been an absolute pleasure following this project, and the frequent communication from Aerosoft has made me a lot more interested in this project than I probably would have been otherwise. You can really feel the excitement and passion from the team and it's contagious

• Like 3

• Deputy Sheriffs
5 hours ago, EasternT3 said:

Looking forward to them, question about real life, as the CRJ is a regional jet and not many pax, are the turnarounds quick (30-35 mins) or did/do you have longer turnarounds as well?

A 30-35 min turnaround is considered long nowadays. ;)  I saw anything between 18 minutes and several hours.

• Like 1

• Deputy Sheriffs
5 hours ago, Jaden Cuffy said:

Will there be an episode about turnarounds?

Aside to this, I've heard to minimize time on the ground you often would start planning the next flight before landing? Is this true and possible in this version? 

I might do one. But as it is mainly an abbreviated originating check you do, there isn't that much difference really. 

Nowadays there isn't that much to do anymore during a turnaround. You have EFBs and tablets with charts and TOPAS calculators. Feeding an CRJ FMS is also a very short exercise.

But yeah, if you have the flightplan for the next flight with you, you could do a lot of preperation inflight. I prefer to talk with the person sitting next to me and enjoying the view outside in low workload situations...

In the sim, and IRL, you can setup the secondary flightplan for your next flight and find all the charts you need for the departure. You can check the weather and if it is a return flight you also have the Notams already onboard. Now you have even more time onground to talk to the flightattendants or get your crew four cups of Starbucks coffee from the terminal.

• Like 2