On 1/4/2021 at 5:32 AM, Fynus said:

Is there anyone here that uses Foreflight with the CRJ IRL or in the sim?

I use Foreflight on every sim flight in MSFS, P3D and X-Plane.

I do most of my CRJ flying in the US, and like to emulate various Delta regional partner flights. I will look for Delta CRJ flights between specific city pairs on the FlightAware app. FlightAware will show the flight plan being by the flight on the specific day, and has the ability to export that FP directly to Foreflight.

I also have PDF copies of all supplied manuals for every flight sim add-on I own on the same iPad I use for Foreflight, as well as an excellent E6B app and other useful utility programs - so it is indeed an EFB

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will add my support to Mathijs sentiment here.  One of the things we constantly try to snuff out is this popular meme that developers are all in competition with one another like newspaper barkers o

Friends, I was asked to posts this.   -----------------------------   Dear FlightSim Community,   We feel the expectation on us to give official information about the rel

I have seen some questions about wingflex on other sites. Now, readers here know why we do not care a lot but let me go over it one more time to close the discussion ones and for all. The CRJ

Posted Images

vor 7 Stunden , slippingwithflapsin sagte:

Most of the regional carriers in the US that I know of use the EFB, but more for the Jeppesen Charts app. I believe PSA Airlines (who operates the CRJ) flies with EFBs or is about to, and that is the resource they use. One of the other CFIs I work with flies for a flag carrier in the US and they use an EFB, but instead of ForeFlight they use an app from Jeppesen to look at charts. From what he showed me, it has a lot of the same functions as FF. Maybe less on the front of weather and such, but a lot of info was there. ForeFlight is a wonderful tool for flying though. I used it throughout my training and I encourage my students to do the same. It greatly increases situational awareness. Awesome to have for simming as well. I would love to see MSFS have native support for connecting directly to FF like XP11 does.

Thank you!

I am new to these kind of apps and wanted to try them out in the sim before using them later IRL when I get my license. A few days ago I saw a video where they used FF in a CRJ for a business flight and was just curious if thats a common thing.

For flight tracking FF would be nice for the sim, anything else I thing Aerosoft is doing a good job with their included EFB.

• Upvote 1

You guys using Foreflight do realize that you can get the equivalent level of functionality in FltPlan Go for free, right?

And yes it will connect to your Sim.

1 hour ago, amahran said:

You guys using Foreflight do realize that you can get the equivalent level of functionality in FltPlan Go for free, right?

And yes it will connect to your Sim.

There’s some things ForeFlight can do that FltPlanGo cannot. But I would say that the biggest advantages that ForeFlight has are the features that matter more to actual pilots instead of simmers. FltPlanGo is just fine for a casual flight simmer. It’s all just my opinion, but for one the ForeFlight app is very user-friendly, and that is super important in the cockpit when information may be needed very quickly. Part of the beauty of ForeFlight is all of the different features that add situational awareness in flight as well. The number of things you can do with the app is incredible. FltPlanGo has some of these, but not all. Synthetic Vision to shoot an approach in IMC after a vacuum system loss, a flight plan filing system that generates a full briefing of weather, NOTAMs, TFRs, everything you’d ever need to know, an option to visually display in vertical layers any icing or turbulence you can expect to encounter on your route based on AIRMETs or PIREPs, internet traffic with the ability to connect to a Stratus or Sentry for ADS-B traffic and weather, audible warnings when entering a runway, descending below 500’ AGL, an excessive sink rate, or when other traffic is near the aircraft, hazard advisor which warns you when obstacles are near or at your altitude ahead within a certain distance, an integrated logbook system which saves the track logs that the app records and pairs them with your logbook entries to give you a backup electronic logbook, a system for pilots to save and keep track of their expiration dates for medicals, flight reviews, day and night currency, flight instructor certificates. As well as a system for electronic endorsements to be kept, and even for an instructor to electronically send a logbook endorsement to their student. I could go on and on.
But for flight sim, I would agree that both platforms offer about the same in terms of what people need. 

Why are we getting other addons being pushed on this thread... please stay on topic ie the CRJ. Plenty of forums to hype your wares elsewhere.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
6 hours ago, Doering said:

You can use ForeFlight with MSFS. I use it in my real world flights and for each flight in MSFS. I use the FlightAware client. Just one extra step to connect to MSFS. Very easy and works with no problems in complete synchrony with the sim. You can check my YouTube channel “The Flight Level” for examples of IFR and IFR videos for reference. Link in “About Me” in my profile.

Maybe I didn’t word my post clearly enough. What I really wish is that you could directly connect it to MSFS without having to use a client. Last time I checked, to connect FF to MSFS you have to download the FlightEvents client, and it’s just a hassle and another client to have. I loved that on XP11, the sim would directly connect itself to the app without any outside clients.

48 minutes ago, slippingwithflapsin said:

Maybe I didn’t word my post clearly enough. What I really wish is that you could directly connect it to MSFS without having to use a client. Last time I checked, to connect FF to MSFS you have to download the FlightEvents client, and it’s just a hassle and another client to have. I loved that on XP11, the sim would directly connect itself to the app without any outside clients.

Gotcha on that. Once you have it downloaded though (on my desktop) it is just a click away that runs automatically with all the features and benefits just like XP11. Definitely worth the click for all the advantages with IFR and VFR flights. Enough about ForeFlight and back to the CRJ! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, slippingwithflapsin said:

There’s some things ForeFlight can do that FltPlanGo cannot. But I would say that the biggest advantages that ForeFlight has are the features that matter more to actual pilots instead of simmers. FltPlanGo is just fine for a casual flight simmer. It’s all just my opinion, but for one the ForeFlight app is very user-friendly, and that is super important in the cockpit when information may be needed very quickly. Part of the beauty of ForeFlight is all of the different features that add situational awareness in flight as well. The number of things you can do with the app is incredible. FltPlanGo has some of these, but not all. Synthetic Vision to shoot an approach in IMC after a vacuum system loss, a flight plan filing system that generates a full briefing of weather, NOTAMs, TFRs, everything you’d ever need to know, an option to visually display in vertical layers any icing or turbulence you can expect to encounter on your route based on AIRMETs or PIREPs, internet traffic with the ability to connect to a Stratus or Sentry for ADS-B traffic and weather, audible warnings when entering a runway, descending below 500’ AGL, an excessive sink rate, or when other traffic is near the aircraft, hazard advisor which warns you when obstacles are near or at your altitude ahead within a certain distance, an integrated logbook system which saves the track logs that the app records and pairs them with your logbook entries to give you a backup electronic logbook, a system for pilots to save and keep track of their expiration dates for medicals, flight reviews, day and night currency, flight instructor certificates. As well as a system for electronic endorsements to be kept, and even for an instructor to electronically send a logbook endorsement to their student. I could go on and on.
But for flight sim, I would agree that both platforms offer about the same in terms of what people need. 

That much being said, I do use fltplan go in my average flying. It’s great for VFR as well as IFR work. Though it doesn’t have synthetic vision, it does have a lot of the other features you mention (yes, including logbooks and checklists). It can also directly connect to your Avionics suite if your aircraft is equipped with Bluetooth avionics.

Ive been using it for my personal flying and it’s great for weather briefing and NOTAMs as well.

Though yes it could be a little more user friendly, but as with anything it takes some getting used to.

It’s definitely not intended solely for flight simulation, but it can be used for it as well, and quite cleanly. I definitely recommend it. Unless you’re making a career out of flying non-stop all day every day, a free app gives you all the benefit you’ll ever need, whether you’re flying IFR or VFR.

• Upvote 1

A small airport but it has international flights, a great destination for your medium range flights!

1.jpg

Can you spot the CRJ even tho they tried to hide her? ;)

• Upvote 1

If you want to see some flight from a real CRJ and have ~50 minutes to spend, check this video out where the pilot also gives quite a nice tour of the systems and buttons in the cockpit at around 25 minutes into the video 😁

• Like 5
57 minutes ago, Omar Al-Safi said:

I miss the crj hype here 😛 

They’re probably working super hard around the clock to get the release through these next few weeks, have some faith and patience ;) 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Omar Al-Safi said:

I miss the crj hype here 😛 

Yeah, I actually struggled with finding the forum because it wasn't on the top any more cuz' nobody's been posting here in 3 days before you...

On 1/5/2021 at 7:39 AM, JRBarrett said:

I use Foreflight on every sim flight in MSFS, P3D and X-Plane.

I do most of my CRJ flying in the US, and like to emulate various Delta regional partner flights. I will look for Delta CRJ flights between specific city pairs on the FlightAware app. FlightAware will show the flight plan being by the flight on the specific day, and has the ability to export that FP directly to Foreflight.

I also have PDF copies of all supplied manuals for every flight sim add-on I own on the same iPad I use for Foreflight, as well as an excellent E6B app and other useful utility programs - so it is indeed an EFB

What app/addon do you use to enable the sim to communicate with ForeFlight? Thanks.

Anyone know of any update? I'm assuming its very close to release and ik we were waiting on asobo but they were apparently working very hard. And a 2020 release was apparently still possible with only a few days to go so I'm waiting eagerly for any news! :)

6 hours ago, LukeMurph said:

Anyone know of any update?

If there are any news that can be communicated, you will read them in this topic. Until then simply lean back and wait.

On 1/4/2021 at 2:16 PM, Doering said:

For XP12, I believe they are saying some aspects of improved scenery (3D trees for example), but difficult to imagine how they could match the level of MSFS. But remember, just a few years ago we couldn't imagine what we are seeing now from the default scenery in MSFS. New ideas and new technology with time in the other sim platforms may surprise us. 

The problem with X-Plane right now, is in its current state, running in Vulkan, it's struggling for frame rates.  In fact there are people who have better frame rates in OpenGL still.  I can't imagine there is much wiggle room for more visuals in XP12, or whatever Austin is going to call it (he still hasn't decided, and they never refer to the next version as XP12).

Tim

5 minutes ago, mopperle said:

Guys, please stay on topic and do not discuss other sims. Wait for news on the CRJ under MFS and discuss eveything else in the appropriate forum.

Sorry about that.  In a recent above post @Mathijs Kok said he was fine if this thread wandered a bit, since there was nothing able to officially be reported. 

Tim