Game Disk 1 always required to start game ?

3 minutes ago, mopperle said:

IMHO there are only 2 reasons:

- being a collector ;)

- having a very low bandwith and/or no flatrate

- I can understand you would want to have the disks if you were a collector

- I''m not sure why having a low bandwith and/or no flatrate would be bad (except for the initial download). is that right?

• Deputy Sheriffs
29 minutes ago, GaryMcCl said:

- I can understand you would want to have the disks if you were a collector

- I''m not sure why having a low bandwith and/or no flatrate would be bad (except for the initial download). is that right?

I remember a user beeing limited to 60GB/month and the initial download is around 120GB, so the DVD makes sense in such a case. But anyway, for the future having a flatrate is a good idea, when MS decides to deliver a major update with lets say 50GB and you already consumed your limit due to streaming and other downloads. I remember that for those people there is a workaround, but dont ask me how it looks like. I have flatrate.

3 hours ago, mopperle said:

I remember a user beeing limited to 60GB/month and the initial download is around 120GB, so the DVD makes sense in such a case. But anyway, for the future having a flatrate is a good idea, when MS decides to deliver a major update with lets say 50GB and you already consumed your limit due to streaming and other downloads. I remember that for those people there is a workaround, but dont ask me how it looks like. I have flatrate

I'm not sure what you're saying...  I have a 2TB hard drive that I keep my installs on, and a 2TB SSD for running games or simulators. That is all seperate to the 500Gb SSD for the C-Drive (loading Windows).

All of this is local - and looking at the internet, it says that I don't even need anything near 1TB.

Do you think there is a problem? I often get things wrong when someone has given me advice.

Gaz

• Aerosoft
vor 4 Stunden , GaryMcCl sagte:

I'm not sure what you're saying...  I have a 2TB hard drive that I keep my installs on, and a 2TB SSD for running games or simulators. That is all seperate to the 500Gb SSD for the C-Drive (loading Windows).

All of this is local - and looking at the internet, it says that I don't even need anything near 1TB.

Do you think there is a problem? I often get things wrong when someone has given me advice.

Gaz

No problem there Gaz,

you are talking hard drive requirements while mopperle is talking download bandwidth and data consumption, so two different things. It is of course preferable to have unlimited data usage for your internet, as MSFS online data consumption might get pretty huge at times due to constant scenery streaming or patches and new content being published.

Your hard drive space is perfectly fine.

43 minutes ago, BenBaron said:

Your hard drive space is perfectly fine.

Thanks @BenBaron and @mopperle

Some of my pc specs are as follows. Is it sufficient?

1. CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-8086K - 6-Core 4.00GHz, 5.00GHz Turbo - 12MB Cache + UHD Graphics *** Extreme OC *** [+96]
  2. EXCD: None Selected
  3. FLASHMEDIA: 6 in 1 Card Reader - Supports SD/Mini SD/SDHC/SDXC/MMC/RSMMC Card
  4. HDD: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda 5400RPM SATA III Hard Drive [+26] (1 Drive)
  5. M2SSD: 500GB (1x500GB) WD Black M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD - 3400MB/s Read & 2500MB/s Write [+71] (Single Drive)
  6. MEMORY: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4/2400Mhz SODIMM Memory  [+36] (Corsair Vengeance
  7. MOTHERBOARD: Intel Z370 Chipset Motherboard
  8. NETWORK: Gigabit LAN Supports 10/100/1000 Mb/Sec
  9. SOUND: Built in HD audio
  10. SPEAKERS: Built in 2x 2W Onkyo Speakers
  11. USB: Built in 3x USB 3.0 Ports, 2x USB 3.1 Ports, 1x USB 2.0 Ports
  12. VIDEO: NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1070 8GB Video Card - 1518 MHz OC

• Deputy Sheriffs

Looks very good. But remember: the more complex and demanding addon you might install, the closer you come to the limits. There is no difference to P3D or other simulators. There is simply no hardware that allows highest settings with tons of complex/demanding addons in parallel.

For me personnally at the momemt it looks like this:

- flying low and slow (VFR) -> MSFS

- flying IFR with airliners -> P3D (mainly because of missing highend aircraft like the Airbus)

@mopperle - I'm not usually able to say this, but I appreciate your help with this.  Given what you said, I may stick with P3D, and only switch when some bugs are fixed and there are some larger airliners added.

Thanks!

• Aerosoft
On 8/25/2020 at 1:51 PM, GaryMcCl said:

Thanks! Do you know if there is a reason for me to get the DVDs, since I don't have a DVD drive? 

Also, how big would the download be (I'll look this bit up as it should be on the online shop)?

No the steam/MS Store version is exactly the same after it has been installed.

In totaL i should count on 100GB download in the first month. That includes the sim, updates and chached data.

I live in Africa.  I have an "unlimited" package which throttles at 40GB.  While the 40GB is live, I get a max of 3Mbs and after that about 50kbs!!   Hence my need for the dvd version if I am to run this thing at all.

Should I install to H:\ (on my SSD) or create a directory e.g. H:\MSF2020.  Which would be better?

Noel

• Deputy Sheriffs

Noel, Aerosoft is not allowed to ship outside Europe.

And even if you find a way around, with a 40GB Package you want be happy. It is very likely, that, after installing the DVD, you might need to download an update that hits your limit, especially as this limit applies to all you internet activity in total.

So maybe you provider offers a better package.

Mopperle, I have the DVD so I hope it will run ok outside of Europe.  I hadn't realised there might be any restrictions or that there might still be a requirement to download very large files.  I assumed I would be able to run in offline mode, albeit with scaled down graphics.

I will talk to my service provider, although I know the next products are aimed at business and carry a business size price tag!

• 3 weeks later...
vor 10 Stunden , Frank Feuerstacke sagte:

Is it just me, or has it been patched because I did a new installation last night and this time didn't download it from DVD but simply downloaded it completely from the Internet, there is no (!) check to "insert disk 1"

Interesting. Since I'll be doing a reinstallation shortly, I'd like to try that too. Can you describe how you did it?

vor 4 Minuten, CaptBrodi sagte:

Interesting. Since I'll be doing a reinstallation shortly, I'd like to try that too. Can you describe how you did it?

Instead of installing from DVDs you simply install it from the Store. 
The game will then not find any previously installed game files and thus download everything from the internet.

I bought the boxed version of 10 DVDs. For easy installation, I copied all 10 DVD to a 128 GB Flash Drive - over 5 hour job and well worth it as I had to do 2 separate installations.

I wanted to test MSFS on an old high end Laptop for FSX but when I started it up. I got a CTD just before I got to the Welcome Screen. I tried a few more times but I easily recognised that my Laptop was not able for the job. So, I did another installatiom to my brand new top of the range Gaming Desktop machine and everything went perfectly, except that I noticed that I was not asked to place DVD No1 in my DVD Drive, My new Desktop came with no DVD Drive but I had bought a cheap one just in case.

So, I decided to copy Disk No 1 to a much smaller Flash Drive and popped it into a spare USB port at rear of my Desktop and everything woks perfectly.

So, fellow Simmers, by accident I came across a simple solution to Microsoft's silly requirement for DVD No 1 being required permanently in a DVD Drive,

Archived