Game Disk 1 always required to start game ?

Bought Premium Deluxe version (boxed set) via Aerosoft.

Installation went OK.

Game runs OK.

But...

On starting the game it wants to see Game Disk 1 in a DVD drive before it will start.

I connected an external DVD drive to install the game - it is not something I want/need to keep connected.

Does the game really need to verify the presence of Disk 1 every time ? - in which I case I'm wishing I had bought the download version : (

Any help gratefully received.

R.

Yes, if your license nbr is for a DVD box then you will have to.

I wondering if doing a ISO image of the DVD n#1 and then mouting it when needed would be enough. I will test that. Would be fine for me, instead of using (and getting used) the physical DVD.

It is not decision of Aerosoft and seems to be a very strong instruction from Microsoft. I remember in FSX,  there was a patch or a trick "no dvd", it was exactly the same policy from Microsoft at that time to keep the DVD#1 in the reader (whatever the distributor was) , and of course people founds some unofficial work around.... I guess it will be same here, just need some time. 

What's that, I don't have a drive slot on the PC, I just clipped the DVD drive to the SATA port for installation and now you should have a DVD in the drive permanently. naughtiness !!!

Furthermore, he cancels the installation on the 5th disc ....

21 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Indeed, Microsoft Sales insisted on that. 

Thanks for your quick reply. Maybe the pages like https://www.aerosoft.com/en/flight-simulation/simulators/3044/microsoft-flight-simulator-premium-deluxe could be updated with the 'DVD1 should be in drive' requirement? If I knew this beforehand I would have opted for the download version. Quite weird though, FSX hasn't had this requirement, only FS2004.

Ditto - if I had known of this requirement I also would have ordered the download only version - not a great start to the new Flight Simulator Experience really.

Customers definitely need to be made aware of this BEFORE ordering the boxed version.

I have got round this by creating an ISO of disk1 and now have it permanently mounted as a disk image - DVD drive and DVD no longer required.

Validation of a physical disk is SOOOOOOO antiquated.

Thanks all for prompt replies.

4 hours ago, Starlord9991967 said:

I have got round this by creating an ISO of disk1 and now have it permanently mounted as a disk image - DVD drive and DVD no longer required.

perfect, I'll do that too, but i don't find the solution perfect

56 minutes ago, Starlord9991967 said:

Excellent, thank you for feedback. 

1 hour ago, Starlord9991967 said:

Perfect, thanks for the news, it arrived today I will try the installation in the next few hours.

Have you used any particular software?

Thank you

Massimiliano

I was also a bit disappointed to see that such an old school technique is required when having the boxed version. I'm wondering why an online activation isn't also offered by Microsoft in this case. I saw the "dvd1 has to be inserted" comment by a user too late in the comment section on facebook (it's apparently in the FAQ but it didn't come to my mind to look at it unfortunately). If I'd known that I'd probably just had bought the download version.

Is it legal to create an ISO of disk1?

There are various freeware utilities for creating an ISO - google is your friend (other search engines are available...)

For mounting an ISO file to a drive letter -  Windows 10 has this feature built in (I just doubled clicked on the ISO file I created and it mounted as a new drive letter).

Suspect you need to make the volume name the same as the original DVD ('MFS Disk 1') - which is what I did.

HTH

Mathjis - understood - if Microsoft said you had to do it then fine - but still think you need to make this clear on the product sales page.

Regarding freeware utilities, there needs to be paid attention to possible (malicious) adware installations. Since they are free they often finance themselves through third-party installations, advertisements etc.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I agree that this „DVD barrier“ is somehow annoying, but IMHO the cheapest and most safe solution is to get an internal or external DVD drive for 20 to 30 Euro. Preferable over any kind of software solution.

17 hours ago, Starlord9991967 said:

Validation of a physical disk is SOOOOOOO antiquated.

Thanks all for prompt replies.

Thanks. That worked. I just ended up starting to just copy all the discs to iso files. Makes for a faster installation next time.

15 hours ago, The3hadow said:

Is it legal to create an ISO of disk1?

It is legal to create your own personal copy.

Creating an iso is simple if you're working with Linux, the 'dd' command does it all, e.g.:

dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/path/to/file.iso (where /dev/sr0 is the DVD drive)

Please dont't tell me that the only check for the DVD is only to look after a device mounted with that name?

But I'm glad not to have 8Gig iso on my expensive SSD, a much smaller one is doing well too.

I'm a litte disappointed about buying this (really nice) box: no xbox play anywhere (correct me if thats wrong) and a nasty cheap DVD check.

On the other side, with the DVDs we are in germany well prepared for the internet Neuland.

I have a full spec computer which has a CD player fortuitously 

Not really used much nowadays 

I just leave Disc1in it

The icon that starts MSFS2020 seems to find it and off we go

Probably a external CD player via a USB would be the answer as has been said above

xxd09

• Deputy Sheriffs

If you buy the download version from the MS Store or Steam, then you have no DVD, so it is quite obvious that you do not need a DVD 1.

5 hours ago, mopperle said:

If you buy the download version from the MS Store or Steam, then you have no DVD, so it is quite obvious that you do not need a DVD 1.

Thanks! Do you know if there is a reason for me to get the DVDs, since I don't have a DVD drive? 

Also, how big would the download be (I'll look this bit up as it should be on the online shop)?

Gaz

Archived