Mathijs Kok

Thoughts on a new simulator: Who is the customer?

This is actually the ‘episode’ I wanted to close with, but I am moving it forward because I feel this discussion should be done now. It is a complex topic, and for many people it will be controversial, so moderation will be heavy.

Feel free to attack any number I use here. Part are wild-ass guesses, some are based on information only insiders have, some are hard data that is not generally known. They might be 100% off, but as you will see, even that does not matter a lot.

------------------------------------

See, things are about to change. Way, way, way more than many current forum users believe.  Let us start with how the scene is now 'organized';

• 75% of the people on the current Flightsim forums are P3D users. That makes them by definition pretty hard-core. They are using a simulator that Lockheed ‘officially’ forbids for entertainment use, that has a hard-core user interface, has almost all things that make it easier for beginners to start removed. Has basic options like real-time weather removed. Professional users never need real time weather after-all.
  • Lockheed sold 20.000 copies of P3d V4. This is a wild ass guess, but we do market research, have an idea of how many P3D users buy add-ons, we talk to people at shows, we see how many of our customer we know used FSX now go to P3D product pages. I would not be surprised if they sold 10.000 copies and I would not be surprised if it was 40.000 copies. As said, you will see it does not matter a lot. What matters is that these are hard-core simmers. They accept the sim has no real time weather and are willing to pay $40 for weather. They accept the sim has 2002 navdata and will spend $10 a month to fix that. Between 75% and 80% of them will buy add-ons. Ideal customers, honestly, we can reach them, they got money and basically buy anything they like.

That’s what we are now working with. A very small group of customers that are willing to buy add-ons. Very different from the scene in 2002 when Flight Simulator still sold half a million copies easy and only a few of those people bought add-ons.  In 2001 I was involved with a scenery of Tokyo that sold in two weeks as many copies as we now sell two months (for all FS add-ons!).  Almost all sold in Japan. That market for FS add-ons is now dead. Gone. A few copies a month. You might sense where I am going with this. The difference was the number of potential customers. We had hundreds of thousands of potential customers and just needed to find the product they wanted.

Here is what matters in a few weeks.

• We can only guess what the production costs of MFS are. But I know how many people worked at Asobo’s offices, I have some ideas on what the licenses they need cost. I know what project management of something these big costs. Make no mistake, this is not a title for Twitch, but it is a triple A game. There are at this moment hundreds of people involved. It is massive, huge. Bigger than any flight sim development. I dare say ten times bigger than any flight sim development before.  So, we are talking about an investment that even for a company like Microsoft is sizable. They need serious sales.  How much? I think they are aiming for a million minimum, that will get them in the ball-park of breaking even.  With the PC and Xbox version that seems very well possible.
  • Remember the 20,000 sales of P3D I suggested? We'll plan to ship more boxed copies then that. Just to give you and idea.
  • Steam has already dropped hints this is one of the biggest products they ever had in pre-order.

So, let’s use the estimated P3D sales, 20k and a conservative MFS sales of a million. See the issue? It is simply far more attractive to aim for a million customer and hope you reach a fraction than reach out to 20k and know you will reach half.

So why will MFS sell so much more then P3D? The most important things is that it will be sold when customers go. Windows Store, our shop (and our affiliate shops), Steam, retail shops all over Europe, MediaMarkt, Amazon etc etc. To sell you need make the product easy to find and attractive to buy.  Text like this: “Can Prepar3D be used for entertainment? No, Lockheed Martin does not offer Prepar3D for entertainment, and we have no plans to enter the entertainment space. The EULAs explain that Prepar3D can be used for purposes other than personal/consumer entertainment”, do not really help with sales.

----------------------------------------

Okay now for the difficult part of this post.

For the ‘platform’ it does not matter a lot what the current P3D customers think about it. Some, I think most, will see the potential and like it. Some others will take a far more ‘elitist’ stand and point at all the issues. They will compare it to their P3D installation with all add-ons. And yes, probably that is better. But that is EXACTLY the same discussion we had for every new version of the sim.  Aerosoft is 28 years old so we have seen a whole lot of new versions and we have seen the same thing over and over.

Existing customers will shout that their installed version is better and will only move when PMDG released all their aircraft on the new platform and when Frankfurt, Heathrow etc are available. The different things this time is that we lost customers on every new version in the past. The release of Dovetails FSX:Steam saved a lot of add-on developers because it brought in new customers. Believe me, that version was massively important. Commercially. Because it will not lose us potential customers, it will add hundreds of thousands.

Of course there are major challenges. for example a lot of products will have serious problems finding customers.

• Weather add-ons…. The weather system in the sim is in my personal opinion better than any current add-on, so these will have to find new angles.
  • Large terrain add-ons like Mesh, Landclass etc…. You need a load of expensive data to make the world better then what the sim has. Cities and small bits of the world can be improved but again who will pay for making things a bit better? Products that offer world wide coverage of mesh, landclass, textures etc are in my opinion dead as dodo's.  There might still be there, but they will aim for small markets.
  • NavData…. I know Navigraph disagrees, but the sim comes with free, monthly updated complete (!) navdata, fully covered by the SDk so everybody can access it . If I would buy an add-on that requires me to buy a monthly subscription for navdata I would seriously ask what makes that better than the build in data.  It would mean I would also have to replace the default free data in the sim with something that costs money and will be the same. By default, the build in data will be the standard. If you use any other, it might not merge with other add-ons well. One exception here, the early add-ons might use provided data as we need the MFS SDK to read the data. Aerosoft will ALWAYS provide a dataset that is current when we release the product btw. No outdated data.
    So yeah… we do not believe NavDataPro is a viable product for the new platform, we might add it as it is pretty simple, but we’ll focus on charts. Got some super ideas on that.
  • AI Traffic. We might still need models but the sim places aircraft where they just have been in real time. Things do not get better. I have seen aircraft passing over my house and checking the sim I see that same aircraft.  You need to be a very clever project manager to find a product to beat that.

I am not saying there are no options for these kind of add-ons but who will pay to get things a 'bit' better? Not to add completely missing weather or completely missing serious traffic, but to perfect it. 

--------------------------------------------

So, things will change far more than most simmers now realize.  The biggest thing they will have to deal with is that there might be fifty MFS users for every P3D user. And that will just move more and more to the MFS side.

Aerosoft has commercial interests. We are co-publisher of MFS, so read this post in that light. Just like when we became the publisher of X-Plane and were able to bring it to steam and in retail stores in 20+ countries we benefit from the success of the MFS platform. We want this to succeed badly. Not only because it is good for Aerosoft. but also because it is good for the hobby. A new solid and stable platform when all customers, beginners and experts, hard-core and an hour a month users can all use it. Having things like good weather and near perfect navdata INSIDE the sim will stabilize things. If anybody agrees on where that and that VOR is things become a lot easier, right?

We still create a load of X-Plane add-ons because of our commitment to that platform, we love X-plane and can't wait for version 12 to see how Austin responds to Microsoft. We will continue to make X-Plane add-ons, same tempo as before. We still love P3D dearly.  We wanted to bring P3D to retail and Steam but could not get the deal completed. We will still make P3D add-ons. Our work for MFS is the same. We love any serious simulation platform. Aircraft, busses, trains, trucks, anything as long as it is serious. So of course we'll make DLC for MFS.  In the end the only thing that decides how much is done for what platform is how many people buy is. We do not make add-ons because we love them (okay, the Catalina might be a exception here, damn if I do not love that aircraft), we make them to sell. We have 60+ people to pay. So it is not in our interest to try to control the market, we follow, not lead.

But MFS is really something special.  It's Phoenix rising from its ashes.  In a way that nobody could see coming.  So big that everything done for Flight Simulation pales in comparison. Microsoft and Asobo still have to make it work, but damned, they are sure going for dominance here. Times will be exciting. I love it.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 6

Nice post...completely agree (especially about the Cat).

The add-on's that I am desperate for are older aircraft and gliders (and helo's).

In MSFS the journey is perhaps more than the arrival, so I'm less interested in complex airports, just good basic airfields with some activity

Hope it all works...

Cheers

Keith

Well.... I might make you happy.

See, when we got a lot more customers we have to focus less on the products we know will sell enough copies to and can again do projects that are less commercial and still break even. Products like the Catalina, Bronco and Antonov were not released because we knew they would make money but because we love weird aircraft.  But for P3d V4 and V5 the market was so small it simply was not possible.  I do believe in 2021 we'll see a load of weird and wonderful aircraft and that is great. 

Everything will be changing. 

I totally agree with you Mathijs and was struggling to leave my full-blown P3Dv4. But I see a bright new future and lots of developers stepping in. No weather add-on, no NavData updates, not changing my 1.500 AI flightplans manually twice a year (summer/winter) and keeping up with the models and liveries. MFs also encourages me to do other things than flying a B737 from A to B. Bush flying in Alaska, multiplayer, landing challenges....

Of course I will add the PMDG 737 and Aerosoft Airbus as well, but the sim gives me much more!

• Like 1

I know you, like me, like a more simple, easy to manage sim platform to explore the world. I have done so many flights in the last few weeks following rivers.  Sounds strange but flying the Amazon, Nile or Rhine  has been incredibly satisfying.

• Like 2

I agree that the flightsim software is merely a platform to run a desired aircraft, whether it's X-Plane/FSX/or anything else. Having tested the Alpha, it's come on leaps and bounds since first release. I found the hardware setup the most frustrating part (many people also had the same experience). 

10 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Well.... I might make you happy.

See, when we got a lot more customers we have to focus less on the products we know will sell enough copies to and can again do projects that are less commercial and still break even. Products like the Catalina, Bronco and Antonov were not released because we knew they would make money but because we love weird aircraft.  But for P3d V4 and V5 the market was so small it simply was not possible.  I do believe in 2021 we'll see a load of weird and wonderful aircraft and that is great. 

Speaking of, Oh how I'd love to see the Do 27 in MFS. It was the sole reason I held on to my FSX for over a year after switching to P3Dv3 as my main sim. I still considered from time to time reinstalling FSX just to fly the AS Dornier until v4 and 64 bit arrived and I liked not running out of memory better than the Dornier.

I have to admit i'm excited by MFS as well, been testing it long enough. That being said i'm also what Mathijs would call, a hardcore P3D user. I made the move to that platform because i was fed up with complex sceneries in FSX eating all my pc memory. P3D launched, and apart from the dubious EULA it comes with, i'd suggest most users simply ignored that and got on enjoying what is basically an excellent 64bit flight sim, the natural follow on from FSX.

I've bought loads of addons, way more than i need, but the sim looks great with them and i'm enjoying my hobby. I can buy most addons when i feel like it, and will continue to do so. Also always like the modability of FSX and P3D, hell i even just moved over the Helicopter files from FSX into P3D and they work great.

That all being said, for now, the writing is on the wall for P3D. Version 5 is a mess, i have it, won't even try it again until the next hotfix, way too many things wrong with it, so sticking with 4.5 which is probably as stable as it gets. There is a but however, MFS is here, and it is better than anything out there. Will i be annoyed that i will be starting to buy addons for the new sim? No i won't because it's the nature of the beast. I honestly think airport addons will do well in the new sim, and new aircraft obviously. There is so much that is good with this sim, but always room for improvement.

I for one will be happy to add to my new sim, flying round it now to decide which airports i'd like remodelled by Aerosoft and ORBX. Oh, and can we have a new Twotter please?

• Upvote 1

It is an interesting observation that the anticipated rise in simmers using MFS will also make it possible to develop more nische products. Could it also be that, flight simming being a slighty more complex type of gaming to learn, will increase the need for expanded support to users from add-on developers? 

I have been a simmer almost all my life and a satisfied costumer of Aerosoft for many years now. I guess and hope the main focus for you will still be on aircrafts and airports. But do you see the market for expanding to developing more utilities, for example a really good AI-ATC add-on (I have so far never been satisfied with other companies products on this area, the AI-ATC in the new MFS doesnt seem to be that good in the videos I have seen), AI-traffic expansion packs (adding liveries and aircraft types, military ai etc), update for default airport buildings to higher quality in the world, emergency response units for simulating emergencies on the ground etc?

I think I can be categoriesed as a "flyging a few hours a month"-guy, flying more during Christmas holiday and Summer. This means I have always focused on building my simworld of add-ons with destinations not very far apart, maybe an hour flight time max. Exploring the surroundings of an exotic place can of course be fascinating, but even then I want to fly point A to point B. Thats why I have never bought high quaiy Airport add-ons for exotic places, because I have had no high quality airport to have as destination pretty close. With many more simmers joining with MFS, and I think a lot of them simmers who will use the sim for a few hours entertainment and then do something else, it might be an idea to consider developing, releasing and/or selling add-on airports in pair or sets of airports which are in a distance close enough for making a short trip, but still take off and land on quality airport scenery (because the on-route scenery already look stunning!). I know that when I find that kind of pairs myself I often buy both airports, even though perhaps one of them might not be my top choice. Fly Tampa St Barth is a very good example of that. To bring in sets of small airports for Island Hoping would also be very interesting now with water and coast looking so amazing.

Some spontanious thoughts this morning!

Best regards

Jan Jönsson

Thank you Mathijs, very interesting to read your thoughts on the new market environment. Personally I am back after a long flight sim break. I really enjoyed FS2004 and FSX, when I was in my twenties. Was heartbroken when MS shuttered Aces Studios but was so busy starting my first real job that I lost sight of the flightsim world.

Back in FS2004 and FSX, I spent an awful lot of time (and some money) adding decent elevation and landclass data, finding good addon aircraft (the RealAir SF.260 still stands out to me), adding better GPS with the RealityXP Garmin integration and modifying panels. Oh and doing repaints was a lot of fun! I think I did a Bush Flying Unlimited repaint for the Twotter (and a panel mod for the RealityXP GPS).

Now it is 2020, I am in my forties, and suddenly there is this gorgeous new version of MSFS! Good to see that you, Mathijs, are still here, remember you from the old days :) From what I have seen FS2020 has all I will ever need, but that perspective may change in the future. I have always loved GA aircraft and VFR flying, so FS2020 is really a dream come true for me.

Like janjoensson, I would love to see addons for certain areas with a number of small, detailed airfields, not too far apart so I can do some nice flying for an hour after work. I think there was an Orcas Islands addon back in the day that was a bit like that.

One additional thought: For the last year or so I have really enjoyed watching bush flying videos on YouTube. Trent Palmer, Jonas Marcinko and The Candourist are my favorites, with the latter also doing FS2020 beta videos on Twitch and YouTube. But you really have to watch his IRL Namibia videos if you haven't yet, amazing! I am so looking forward to replicating their adventures in the sim, so that might be a nice area for cooperations. I think there is a version of Trent Palmer's Kitfox already but don't know about the quality. The Sling called "Pumba" that J-P flew in Namibia was one of the most beautiful planes ever, unfortunately it was destroyed in a fatal crash a few months ago.

Well, basically all I want to say is, what an amazing time to be a simmer!

Again thank you Mathijs for your great work for our community :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, janjoensson said:

But do you see the market for expanding to developing more utilities, for example a really good AI-ATC add-on (I have so far never been satisfied with other companies products on this area, the AI-ATC in the new MFS doesnt seem to be that good in the videos I have seen), AI-traffic expansion packs (adding liveries and aircraft types, military ai etc), update for default airport buildings to higher quality in the world, emergency response units for simulating emergencies on the ground etc?

AI ATC is perhaps the most complex product youcan imagine. Every two years we check everything there is to see if there are new ideas, new developments but there does not seem to be anybody who knows how to do it. Also Microsoft/Asobo tried and while I think what they did is pretty darned good, it leaves a lot to be desired. 

But fact it, the online ATC groups like IVAO and VATSIM do a fantastic job, that's why Microsoft partnered with them: 

• Like 2

I'm still impressed how different the customer bases are from what I thought it would be. Years ago, P3d was concidered THE sim of the future, because it would finally (and gradually) improve the old codes (lighting/shadows, 32bit limit, Direct X compatibility, stability in general, multi-core use, GPU use,...) of the old Microsoft sims. Some years ago, people (including me) asked in various forums what platform it's worth to invest in for future: Prepar3d? X-Plane? Aerofly? FSX SE? DTG? ...and the opinion was quite clear that it would be Prepar3d. And with v4, I got the impression that this decision was absolutely right - even if X-Plane has become surprisingly popular since that time.

Even more amazing that there've been so few customers for it, as it was exactly the perfect sim like it was foreseen years ago - at least for me: Stable as never before, independance (no lousy advertisement by Steam or DTG needed), lots of graphic improvements, 64bit, now even PBR, and a (obviously) very open and helpful attitude by LM towards addon developers (?) - and thus LOOOOOOOTS of really good addons - feels like there's never been a time in the FS world with so many good addons for a single sim. And nearly all the developers have praised LM for the improvements in contrast to the old FSX, FS9,... that hardly got any improvements after release.

vor 9 Stunden , Goulash sagte:

and apart from the dubious EULA it comes with, i'd suggest most users simply ignored that and got on enjoying what is basically an excellent 64bit flight sim, the natural follow on from FSX.

Absolutely!! I've always seen that part of the EULA as a dumb obligation caused by the contract with Microsoft when they bought the "professional" rights of FSX. And that's even more obvious because we know that DTG bought the entertainment licence at the same time as part of Microsoft's trial to obviously get every cent out of the sale of a partly underdeveloped FS platform (FSX). Why else should a company write such things into their EULAs if they don't have to? ...at least not to chase away potential customers or to minimize sales ;) I'm just speculating, but tell me any other reason why LM should give a damn if a sole, lonly customer at his home desk PC calls his flying actions "trainig", "entertainment" or anything in between - this "assessment" doesn't even leave the customers' head in most cases^^

Now, what is even more puzzeling to me is what was Microsoft's strategy?

- Creating a complete and usable FS platform until 2006 with quite some room for improvement

- Firing the development team and sell the software licence twice

- Not understanding the importance of independant 3rd party addon developers at all and bringing out a ridiculous, poor trial of an all-Microsoft-controlled simulator ("Microsoft Flight")

- Making way for Lockheed Martin, Laminar Research, Aerofly and DTG (at least temporary) to finally fill the FS market gap

- 14 years later: creating an all new platform with a huge new team, now suddenly with all the lessons learnt by the past developments and fails...

OK, at least to me that seems brave and unexpected. But as a customer, I have no idea what else was going on in the background there. It just still seems very strange to me and I would rather have seen the new Berlin airport finished before I saw Microsoft seriously come back to flight simulation.

Now, in the end (of Prepar3d), it's a bit like with the real A340: At the beginning, a very promising aircraft to replace all the DC-10s and tristars, but later, it was outstripped by the 777, and the A330 out of Airbusses own house even before its potential lifetime was over. If someone wants a good longhaul plane NOW, he would of course buy the A350 or the 787, but if someone already HAS a good A340 that has long been paid for and that has just passed its D check, he might stick with it and enjoy that it's simply working for some more time.

Same here with the sim: If I had to make a decision NOW, I would of course go for MFS. But now that P3d v4 is paid for and works perfectly, I will switch significally later. I don't feel like a "hardcore" simmer, but obviously I am as Mathijs described above :D

• Like 1

What Microsoft strategy was? That assumes there was one and I think there was none. It was a defunct project, failed miserably  with MS Flight, the hobby version with Dovetails failed as they basically just messed it up (I think because they just did not have the money).  At that time Aerosoft was competing (with partners) with Dovetails for the license and we lost. We did have the plans but were not willing to pay what was asked because our plans were expensive as hell. Flight Simulator 'the brand' was not owned by developers or project managers but by the marketing and sales department. 

But at the same time there still was a group of people inside MS that wanted to revive the sim. It used to be massively important for them, for the whole industry.  New hardware was benchmarked with FS. And after a decades that group in Microsoft gathered enough momentum to get things moving. Project Lead Jorg Neumann needs to get a load of credit, this is his baby. 

For many people this was far more than work. So many people wanted this to succeed. I never seen that before.  It is work in progress, but it is work in progress that a lot of people care about and that makes all the difference. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Hé Matthijs,

as a alpha tester of the new sim I can not agree with your opinion regarding the built in weather add on.

I think the weather data are very inaccurate and not corresponding to the real weather.

i have checked this with Active Sky and AeroWeather.

so I think MS has still a lot of work to do here.

Just my humble opinion.

I would have to agree with the post above and disagree with Mathijs on the possibility of a weather related addon, at least for now.  The weather as it currently is in the simulator is plausible but not accurate. This leaves two options, either an addon developer sorts it out or MS/Asobo devotes a little more time to it and fixes it in further updates but only time will tell.

Based on Mathijs theory for the new flight simulator, that means the only commercially viable addons for the new sim will be Airports, Aircraft, City landmarks and maybe a few utilities.

I really hope and pray the sales numbers matches and exceeds expectations as this will be a win for everyone.

I wonder how freeware or personal projects fit into the sim ecosystem?

I would like to add a few words here as well. I am not an active forum member and I don't like to post much anywhere but this post from Mathijs I think deserves me to say few things. I have been active simmer since Fs2002 and my current sim is FSX-SE soon to be moving on to MSFS. I am what you would call the silent customer who buys things and reads all forums but never says anything even when I have issues with addons I just keep googling rather than asking. 

I never switched to P3D simply because moving on meant a significant investment of money and the constant yearly update for P3D discouraged me. Last year around may I was getting tired of FSX-SE making it do things I wanted too and almost got ready to jump to P3d. Started to plan how to manage to get somewhere around $2000 for me to make the switch with all the addons I had, wanted and then MS dropped the news. An I went into holding pattern. 

My read is there are many more like me who will want to switch over. An we(i am generalizing for more like me) would be happy that we would not have to buy every single addon to make sim look and feel like we want too. I am one of those who wants good planes and few other things liek weather, nav data. I care less about the scenery as along as it allows me to navigate and do realistic operations wehter online or in private I am happy. I want a sim that does the core things right and not having to buy millions of addons to tweak one thing at time. I have rarely bought scenery addons apart from stuff that affects globally (global mesh, vector etc.). I do buy and have bought lots of planes and things that make sim realistic including from aerosfot airbus line and many others. I for one am looking for success of this sim and hope there is even and influx from other gamers to make addon market even more divers and vivid. I do use freeware stuff and support that side as well so I would like to see sim supports that as well this is one thing  that has not been very clear so far.

I wish aerosoft and others who have products that can be ported over and make sens to people like me to buy the very best.  An those who find themselves little less relevant to update there products and bring them over and give me a good reason to have them and I will be there with them.

I look forward to fly on 18th in new sim and will await all the planes to come on over (Aerosoft and other). I am not letting FSX-SE go just yet but at some point i think in next 6 to 8 months it will be time to say good by in my opinion.

I hope this helps anyone who reads it.

Thank you,

YA

Hello Mathijs,
I see at least one possibilitie for an new addon for MFS2020 that would make low flying more attractive. An addon that expands the - by default very limited amount of wildlife. Flying over the African savannah would be really great if one could see herds of impala's moving over the soil, creating a huge cloud of dust behind them.
Animated Hippo's, zebra's, wildbeasts, and much more would be great to give a huge boost to the attraction of low vfr flying. Climbing goats at mountain sides. And not to forget, much more variaty in airborn birds :-)  In combination with this, random wildprotection landrovers, trucks and jeeps could be driving around in wildlife areas.
As far as I could discover, the animated animals in MFS2020 are animated objects. The are basically fixed at one location.
But there is also an alternative. Do you know the freeware addon Wildlife+ develloped by Rich(ard) Barry is a great example from what already was possible in FSX and P3D.
Richard injected animated animals and birds around the area where your plane is. Completely customizeble in amounts and distances and in what types of animals are visible in what region.
Really great. The only understandable drawback was, the animals themselves where not animated.
KInd regards!
Bram Stikkel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xuaqAjhbwg

Wildlife+ from Richard Barry

Never heard about that add-on but it sure looks cool!

Personally I would settle for some cows in the fields.

Back in the FSX hayday there were a number of freeware addons which featured everything from birds to whales (ESP

s "Living World").  Not everything was animated but as I recall that was because it placed far to much of a load on one's comptuer.  Think of road traffic at 100% in FSX.  Not sure how MSFS would handle that.

On 8/15/2020 at 6:57 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

AI ATC is perhaps the most complex product youcan imagine. Every two years we check everything there is to see if there are new ideas, new developments but there does not seem to be anybody who knows how to do it. Also Microsoft/Asobo tried and while I think what they did is pretty darned good, it leaves a lot to be desired. 

But fact it, the online ATC groups like IVAO and VATSIM do a fantastic job, that's why Microsoft partnered with them: 

Personally, I never could bring me to start with online ATC like IVAO or VATSIM. For the simple reason it has to many drawbacks (for me) like availability in parts of the world where I like to fly and at the time during the day/evening I fly.

I sincerely hope the MFS SDK allows/will allow for a indepth ATC addon that includes controlling the AI traffic. I'd love to see a company like Aerosoft take the lead here. I'm sure you can obtain the required knowledge about ATC procedures and phraseology as required. And with your good and open channel with Asobo, perhaps they can help/support Aerosoft.

• Upvote 1

We do have that knowledge (many pilots in our company and many more advising us) and I think linking to MFS will not be the issue. The issue will be commercial, these are incredibly complex products, super expensive to do. Burt we have some experience, check our Global Air Traffic Control.

• Like 1