I'm trouble taking off now

GaryMcCl

When I take off, it seems fine until I turn on the A/THR.  I get a MASTER alarm, and the speed turns to 'A/SPEED'.

Today, I went down the runway and took off.  I can to press the AP1 and make sure the A/THR was on, and when I wanted to take it out of a 'managed' speed (to set a takeoff speed), the '---' changed to 172 knots , which I thought would be good, but not, I got alarm about the speed and it took me up to over 300knts!  when I fly after that (if I didn't crash!) I believe you change to the speed 'joystick', to minimum and then when the speed gets to starts to come down.  I was told to then you need to throttle will go the the speed it needed.  I need to be able to say the the correct given the aircraft and I have turn A/THR on.

I know this might what would happen in the real world, but can you please tell me what I've done wrong?  I'm clearly doing something wrong.

The A/THR should engage by itself provided you're setup correctly and placing the thrust levers in either TOGA or Flex. 

Sounds like you are either not setup correctly and/or you are disengaging the A/THR instead of activating it (again, it should activate automatically).

Have you read about the Thrust Levers and Auto Thrust in Volume 4 and performed the Step by Step flight (in this case ESPECIALLY the Takeoff sections) per Volume 6 of the documentation?  

Keep in mind that you need to forget EVERYTHING you may have learned about Boeings when flying an Airbus, failing to do so will only hurt and confuse you.

2 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

The A/THR should engage by itself provided you're setup correctly and placing the thrust levers in either TOGA or Flex. 

Sounds like you are either not setup correctly and/or you are disengaging the A/THR instead of activating it (again, it should activate automatically).

If I've done something like that, I've been stupid, but how do I set up the actual speed I should taking off at? If I knew that, it would be helpful.  I''m guessing I'm doing something wrong with the flaps, because on takeoff, when I was able to change the speed - and if I'm doing increasing the speed, I should be retracting the flaps, and I didn't.  There are times, though when you are in that situation and you are panicking and wanting to know how to get everything working, particularly the speed.

Keep in mind that you need to forget EVERYTHING you may have learned about Boeings when flying an Airbus, failing to do so will only hurt and confuse you.

I've been to both of the factories and sat in cockpits and loved them, but I agree, with an Airbus it's like programming a computer before you get off the ground, rather than having none of that - I sat with 4 Boeing 787s pilots, and they were great (they all hated Airbus')

@DaveCT2003, i'll try this again tomorrow, thanks.

1 hour ago, GaryMcCl said:

but how do I set up the actual speed I should taking off at? If I knew that, it would be helpful.

I understand, but there is little sense in my copying and pasting or re-writing what is already in the documentation that came with the products.  That would simply be insane on both our parts.  I've answered your question as far as what you are doing wrong, and I referred you to the volumes and specific sections of the documentation that will help you learn how to operate the Airbus correctly. 

Asking sincerely, is there something I'm missing as to why you won't use the documentation?  Let me know and perhaps there is something else I can do to help.

Best wishes.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Maybe the problem is that the detailed steps/workflow is describved in the Step-by-step guide, which is unfortunately not avaiable for the A330.
@GaryMcCl Which Bus are you using?

9 hours ago, mopperle said:

Maybe the problem is that the detailed steps/workflow is describved in the Step-by-step guide, which is unfortunately not avaiable for the A330.
@GaryMcCl Which Bus are you using?

From our many past discussions he's using the A320/A321.  I don't know if he's changed to the A330, but he's got the other installed thus the documents.

Thanks for getting back to me everyone.  btw, I tend to use A319-A321.

I use documentation, but I'm getting to the point that I can't talk to someone if I have trouble.  

The state I am on (on my PC) is here:

Please login to display this image.

I lifted off my runway when I was told to by the copilot, and it seemed fine.

But the speed was like this, nowhere nere the actual speed despite my speed being set to 239.  Why does it ignore that function event though it has been set?

Please login to display this image.

Gary

48 minutes ago, GaryMcCl said:

Thanks for getting back to me everyone.  btw, I tend to use A319-A321.

I use documentation, but I'm getting to the point that I can't talk to someone if I have trouble.  

The state I am on (on my PC) is here:

I lifted off my runway when I was told to by the copilot, and it seemed fine.

But the speed was like this, nowhere nere the actual speed despite my speed being set to 239.  Why does it ignore that function event though it has been set?

Gary

Not enough information to know.  But if I had to guess I'd say that you've loaded the aircraft up and it's pretty heavy, and/or you've failed to enter the values (or the correct values) in INIT Page B.

I've been trying to help you for well over 2 years now,  you are no closer to understanding the basics of the Airbus so it's obvious to me that I'm not helping you.  As such the best thing to do is for me to step aside and let someone try.

Best wishes Gary.

• Deputy Sheriffs

TBH Gary, why not simply following the step-by-step guide.

Looking at your screenshots, you have set the speed manually and also the climb speed, and the values you have choosen will simply not work in that combination in that situation.

And as Dave said, other values have also to be taken into account, we do not know about.

Why dont you simply let the aircraft and its FMS do its job? We cant not explain you in 5 minutes, what real pilots took years to learn and make them able to overwrite settings made by the FMS.

11 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Best wishes Gary

Thanks, @DaveCT2003.  As a matter of fact I do the second page when on page 1 fill in the details there - Wind, destination, etc...  I only go any further (INIT page B) when the aircraft has been boarded (I'm not going to know what the data is until the fuel, cargo and passengers are loaded, but the aircraft tells you what it should should be if the numbers change after you load the aircraft).  I know that some of these fields there are filled if you click the button first - ie, click the button that you want the data for and if it tells  you the data you can simply press the same button.

As you have said, you aren't aren't looking at thinks the same way I am , but that suggests maybe I need to read the manuals several times.

10 hours ago, mopperle said:

TBH Gary, why not simply following the step-by-step guide.

Looking at your screenshots, you have set the speed manually and also the climb speed, and the values you have choosen will simply not work in that combination in that situation.

And as Dave said, other values have also to be taken into account, we do not know about.

Why dont you simply let the aircraft and its FMS do its job? We cant not explain you in 5 minutes, what real pilots took years to learn and make them able to overwrite settings made by the FMS.

There maybe areas where I can fill in the data earlier than I am - I'm clearly NOT doing it right.

Given what you have both said, I would like to be taken off this forum, so that I can't cause problems and slow work down at your end.  I've taken the software for my PC, and if I have an problem and don't have a login to the forum, I will do what you both telling me to do - read the manuals.

Gary

Not enough information to know.  But if I had to guess I'd say that you've loaded the aircraft up and it's pretty heavy, and/or you've failed to enter the values (or the correct values) in INIT Page B.

Sorry - I forgot to say.  I use the Aerosoft tool to calculate the fuel needed to go from A to B before I start P3D.  I stick to that tools data until I want to go to somewhere else, then I change the data in the tool to make sure the aircraft details in it...

Gary, the manuals will answer the questions, but may I also recommend YouTube if you perfer watching someone do it -  there are a few "cold and dark" setups and takeoffs on the 320/330 in p3d which describe how its done. They may not be 100% correct but it will get you airborne without any issues. Give it a try. Good luck.

Hello,

Despite of the provided information not being exacly enough to determine a route to aid you, has some clues within.

I would like to start by saying that - may not be the case but just to be sure-in case you RTO and proceed to another take off, reset your FDs to make sure all modes get a refresh and therefor allow you a "clean" start of take-off roll.

Then, assuming you filled up the FMGS correctly, don't forget to set the proper trim for take-off, it's a major step for a uneventful take-off.

During take-off roll, check you fma accordingly and, as you reach Vr, start a smooth rotation to 15º pitch. Not less, not more. If you reach that pitch in less than 5 seconds your been too fast on rotation which sometimes may leed to unwanted AFloor and subsequently Toga LK triggering.

When stabilized on 15º climb, follow FDs as they are in SRS mode. You don't select any speed at this stage. SRS makes sure you're climbing at the correct speed with adequate safe margins. Reduce thrust when prompted and at acceleration retract flaps as your speed goes above manoeuvring speed and once in clean configuration you can start playing with selected speed as it best suits you. You can use selected speed earlier if needed, but this is the easiest way to proceed.

Hope it helped.

Happy flying 

3 hours ago, TGoncalves said:

If you reach that pitch in less than 5 seconds your been too fast on rotation which sometimes may leed to unwanted AFloor and subsequently Toga LK triggering

Thanks @TGoncalves. I'm going to read Volume 4 and the Step by Step guide again, and I hope its something I can help with.

Gaz

On 4.8.2020 at 00:10, GaryMcCl sagte:

Sorry - I forgot to say.  I use the Aerosoft tool to calculate the fuel needed to go from A to B before I start P3D.  I stick to that tools data until I want to go to somewhere else, then I change the data in the tool to make sure the aircraft details in it...

Initially I had the same problem. It drove me crazy. Until a friend told me that my crazy settings for the initial pitch (DN-2.0) were something he never had. In the fuel tool there is a slider for the Center of Gravity. If you move that on the left side of it there is a percentage. That needs to be green. It will change colour, if you move the slider. Before takeoff I make sure in the PERF INIT page, that I set 1/UP0.8 (for example, but only values that are green) and that of course I set that take-off pitch and take off flaps before departure. At 1500 ft AGL I reduce thrust to CLB THR.

Since I do that my take-offs are ok.

Archived