Thoughts on a video card

Usually I'm one of the guys giving advice here, but this time I'm looking for some input to come to a good decision.

My current video card is getting a bit outdated. It's a GeForce GTX 960 with 2 GB GDDR5 memory (ASUS GTX 960 Mini OC). Not much special these days. One disadvantage is that it only has one DVI output, so technically only one monitor can be connected to it. However I have three monitors and use a Matrox Triplehead2Go Digital Edition to connect them all to my system.

And while it's all still functional, I'm thinking about updating. A better videocard on which all three monitors can be directly connected, abolishing the need for the TripleHead2Go. This is mainly due to the drivers and software for the TripleHead2Go getting outdated (they're not updated anymore) and slowing down the system.

The video card I got my eyes on is the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Mini OTX OC 6G. It comes with three DisplayPort connectors, so all three monitors can be directly connected (although I will need adapter plugs since the monitors can only be connected through DVI, they don't have a DisplayPort connection).

For details, this is the card I'm eyeing.
https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/1413374/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1660-mini-itx-oc-6g.html

But before I make my purchase, I'd like to hear what others think.

By the way, the rest of my system looks as follows:

Motherboard: ASUS TUF X299 Mark 2

CPU: Intel Core i7-7800X

Memory: 32 GB DDR4-2132 / PC4-17000 (2x 16 GB)

Drives: 1x Kingston SKC1000960G NVMe 960 GB (for Windows and other applications), 1x Samsung SSD 840 EVO 750 GB (for P3D v4) and 1x Toshiba DT01ACA300 3 TB 7200 RPM HDD (for storage)

Optical drive: Plextor BD-R PX-B950SA

Any thoughts?

• 2 months later...

Ich prefer AMD Videocards, but this one does look good. I am still using the ASUS TUF Gaming X3 Radeon RX 5700 XT OC Edition, which i bought some time ago. I found it on this german guide, where it was recommended. https://www.technikhiwi.de/amd-grafikkarte-test/ for those interested. In the end of this year i will go all in an get the new RX 6900 XT. There is really no comparing these two. Nevertheless im gonna miss my old one. 

• 3 months later...

Hi PatrickZ, 

I think that you are making a pretty good chice with intending to buy this Graphics Card. GeForce itslef has most of the time produced high end and good quality graphics cards which are also most of the time up to date with programs or games available for PC. 

I also took a look at the rest of your PCs hardware and software components. In my opinion they would handle perfectly the GeForce GTX 960 with 2 GB GDDR5 and you therefore should have no problems to install it and make it work. I also think that this graphics card will keep you up to date in the graphics card world for quite some time. It will not outdate until a couple of years or in even more time. 

So in conclusion my thoughts are that YES you should buy the GeForce GTX 960 with 2 GB GDDR5, its a sensible choice for a graphics card. 

Archived