EDDM - Improvement suggestions

MatthiasKNU

Hello everyone.

I take the opportunity to open another thread here, with some little mistakes that I found. ...which I hope will be corrected in the future.

First of all I would like to say the following: I do not want to belittle the work that has been put into MUC, nor do I want to speak of it in a negative way.

On the contrary, I want to contribute to make MUC even better.

To cut a long story short: I have been a Planespotter in Munich for many years, so I know the airport pretty well.

Besides, MUC in the Sim is my home base, I fly to MUC in the Sim almost every day.

If necessary, I also might help with pictures.

Some things already have been noticed, but I want to bring it here together in one place.

1. On Terminal 1, the new "Munich-Airport Logos" and stand numbers are missing:

Please compare these 2 pictures:

Please login to display this image.

2. O2 Advertisment looks wrong on the jetways on the Terminal 2 and the stand numbers are missing:

(by "Merpati")

Furthermore, also a few jetways on the Terminal 1 have the O2-Ads on it:

(by "Eupemuc")

3. There you should see a small forest (left) and a more than 10 m high hill. Maybe the autogen should be enhanced, and the visitor hill in the south added.

4. The same in the north, the northern hill is missing, near Attaching

5. The night lighting seems to be wrong - has been mentioned already. Especially on the Terminal 2 you see bright white LED lamps, on the Terminal 1 more orange lights.

Furthermore, the ground seems to be shining at night.

6. The apron, especially on Terminal 2, doesn't look like the real thing. There are a few things which do not fit...

6. i) The color is to warm, the concrete is more greyish, with less yellow in it. As it is, it looks more like Munich would be in Spain or Southern France...

6. ii) The concrete tiles are not as strongly visible as in SW EDDM and the tiles seem to be too small.

6. iii) The lines on the ground are better visible in real than in the sim. Maybe it is possible to enhance the contrast between lines and ground.

7. As already mentioned, the glass on the terminal 2 is pretty green. In the sim it is simply clear.

8. The small tower in the T2 Satellite is pretty green in real, in the sim you have to look twice to see, that it might be green.

9. On the rail tracks behind the fuel tanks there are missing 1-2 trains. In all the years I am visiting MUC I've never seen those rail tracks empty...

10. Again: These are forest, please add a few trees!

11. There are pretty good visible AUDI-Advertisments in real.

12. If you compare these 2 images, there you might see a few things, which do not fit:

12. i) The wear on the runway are very visible. You can hardly see them in the sim, as if the runway was newly built.

12. ii) The concrete tiles are not very present in real. In the sim it looks a bit like a russian airport.

12. iii) The Ground looks much too dry. In real the ground is also not as green as in Google Earth, but it is... well... a "usuall" german meadow.

13. Maybe also a bit of 3D Gras would make it look better?

14. The hill between the road in the north and the taxiway is missing:

15. The OMV fuel station near the northern runway is missing:

I hope I haven't made myself too unpopular now... 

Anyway: Despite everything: I am really glad that someone has dared to approach Munich again! 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Developer

Thanks, some of your points are already done and part of an Update tomorrow, other will maybe follow later.

But one point we will not change: The numbers on the Jetways. In this case, we must build and animate hundred of Jetways models (for Ctrl+J and SODE version) and this is simple not handable. So here we will keep the "unique" versions.

Well, I figured as much about the numbers. But especially when it comes to modelling/texturing of objects, I don't know so much about it, so it could have been...
I am curious about the update tomorrow!

Sorry onesmore Oliver 🙂 

Can i give another Point - I dont know if its possible and how much work it means . But , can u give the Airport at night a little more Light and Color ? 

What i mean is when u compare it with T2G EDDM there are many illuminated buildings and it looks much more friendly and busy at night . 

Maybe MatthiasKNU is on my Side or can u delivered with Night Pics from MUC . 
Here are two examples . Your Eddm is dark and forgive me , not appealing. 
Can u illuminate Buildings so that the Scenery makes fun to arrive in the Evening hours ? It will be the Hit 🙂

By the way all Dynamic Lights on your EDDM are yellow , but in real the Apron 2 are white lights . 

Thanks 

Michael 

• Deputy Sheriffs
1 minute ago, winstonwolf said:

Hello again , 

This screenshot describes at the best what I mean. 

All Buildings are dark . with no  Life in it . 

6 minutes ago, OPabst said:

Wait until tomorrow ;)

;)

Hi Oliver , 

Wow - you creat in one day an complete new Nightvision with EDDM 🙂

You really did an perfect Job - many  Thanks for your effort . 

Now it makes fun to arrive at Munich in the Night 🙂

May i have on further request to you - Can u please make the Buildings and also the Taxi lights more Brighter . ( for comparsion here a Screenshot from T2G EDDM ) . 

What u think about it ? 

But till now Thanks so much . 

Michael 

• Developer

Hi,
the update for EDDM should be available throught the aerosoft updater now. A new full version should be alive tomorrow.
Thank you for the input.
I tried to make some screenshots corresponding to the real photos of this thread.
Main changes are ground (added layers and changed textures like runway), night light (LED lights), greener terminal glass,
advertising on jetways, missing hills...

Thorsten

PS: Gate numbers on jetways is not an easy task as this will need a different jetway model at every gate. Maybe we´ll find a solution, but this cannot be fixed
short term.

Hi Thorsten, dear SimWings-Team!

Thank you very much for the update, Munich looks much better already!

Regarding Point 1 and 2: Done

Point 3: Done.

Point 4: Pending.

Point 5 i: Done.

Point 5 ii)Furthermore, the ground still shines at night

Point 5 iii) the runway lighting seems to be too dark (at least on my machine, without any shader modifications, etc.).

The lights are there, but from the distance you can't see them:

Remark: I have lightened this picture a bit to make it clearer what I mean. The fact that the ground shines does not come from the editing.

6. i) Done

6. ii) The individual tiles are not so strongly marked, perhaps the gaps could be softened even further?

6. iii) Half done - is it possible to make the lines more glaring, they seem to be pretty dark, in real the are nearly shining.

7. Done

8. Done

9. Pending

10. Pending

11. Pending

12. i) Better, but the runway can take even more tyre wear - in reality you can hardly see the centre line in some places.

12. ii) Better, same as 6. ii)

12. iii) Pending

13. Pending

14. Done

15. Pending

New, 16: The drainage ditches are missing

I hope that my ideas will really be taken up for what they are: Constructive criticism to make MUC even better than it is now...
I know how much work goes into sceneries, so I really appreciate how fast the first update came! And I hope, there will be some more...

• Developer

To point 5: We have the commitment from the responsible person of the FMG that all apron lightings are changed to the new white LEDs now. So DONE.

• Developer

And regarding the runwaylight: is it possible, that you use the Timeslider to get to night for the picture, without press apply? In this case the runway and taxiwaylights are not switch on by the sim.

vor 18 Minuten, masterhawk sagte:

Have you redownloaded the SODE from http://www.sim-wings.de/SUPPORT_SODE.htm?
There is a new version.

Yep, did that, still have the old jetways.

Maybe the download is still the old version, as the readme shows version 1.0.0.0 and all the files have the timestamp of the 27.7.?

EDIT: Now the new SODE files just appeared...

EDIT: Just tested them, the jetways are now looking good! Thank you for that!

Thorsten, Oliver, Manfred,

First and foremost a big thank you for the update. The support you give here was exactly the reason why I bought your Munich only some minutes after release. And let me stress it that your scenery is the best Munich rendition we ever had in our sim. And I hope you are not too much discouraged by our comments. It must be hard to work many months on a project in your spare time and then read all the nitpicking comments. But I think all of us here try to make an amazing scenery even better. So, once again thank you for listening to all the points that Matthias, Timm, Winston, Andre, and I bring up here. Your work and effort is hugely appreciated. 

If I could pick one point of Matthias list (all of them are actually very interesting) in particular that could make the scenery even more real than I would go for point 6: 

"6. i) The color is to warm, the concrete is more greyish, with less yellow in it. As it is, it looks more like Munich would be in Spain or Southern France...

6. ii) The concrete tiles are not as strongly visible as in SW EDDM and the tiles seem to be too small.

6. iii) The lines on the ground are better visible in real than in the sim. Maybe it is possible to enhance the contrast between lines and ground."

Reducing the strength/visibility of the gaps between the concrete tiles would help a lot to make the apron perfect. Moreover, as Matthias pointed already out, could the ground markings even be more brighter. The yellow lines and gate markings could use a splash of bright yellow, along with a lighter red for the jetway movement area. 
Further, the entry points N5 and S9 are painted with white color on bright red. Could you add the white color and make the red boxes brighter?

And lastly if I can dare to add a new point 17:
Would it be possible to add a very basic 3D-model for the metal structures between the taxiway bridges? That is from a cockpit perspective probably more important than the missing base of Vorfeldtower Ost, which I mentioned in another thread.

In your past airports I did also very much liked the passengers that were visible in the terminal. But I assume that performance in Munich is very demanding and VAS needs to be considered. 

Take care and maybe some of my not very urgent points could be considered to be added in an update in the next months. 

Thanks,
Christoph

If I may add to @MatthiasKNU's list if it isn't on your to-do list yet, @Autopiloth: The staircases for the gates at the Terminal 2 main building currently all carry the gate numbers "G23/H23" and "G24/H24". If you could change those to the respective gate numbers, it would be great.

And when having HDR lighting set at 1.00 (as recommended for the use of Aerosoft's A330), I get "self-illuminating" buildings at and around the airport, that means buildings that are completely lit at night. Also the ground around the taxiways and aprons and also in the western access to the airport (around the Zentralallee and the S-Bahn tracks) is far too bright at night, it looks as if there are lanterns lighting it everywhere.

• Developer
1 minute ago, FWAviation said:

If I may add to @MatthiasKNU's list if it isn't on your to-do list yet, @Autopiloth: The staircases for the gates at the Terminal 2 main building currently all carry the gate numbers "G23/H23" and "G24/H24". If you could change those to the respective gate numbers, it would be great.

No, will remove it, that the only solution. Sometimes you should think about the technique behind, as the count of polies and the need of VRAM for Memory is extrem at the end of the line, special in V5.

It is nice to have all details, but it makes no sense to have a screenshot scenery, which could not be used for flying.

It must be possible to reduce the details to the really important once and keep the howl in mind.

vor 14 Minuten, OPabst sagte:

No, will remove it, that the only solution. Sometimes you should think about the technique behind, as the count of polies and the need of VRAM for Memory is extrem at the end of the line, special in V5.

It is nice to have all details, but it makes no sense to have a screenshot scenery, which could not be used for flying.

It must be possible to reduce the details to the really important once and keep the howl in mind.

Thanks for the swift response, but @Autopiloth has stated above that you as a team will maybe find a solution for the individual gate numbers on the jet bridges as well, albeit not in the short term. Maybe it will be also a solution for the staircase gate numbers at the same time? Of course they are not absolutely necessary for the immersion, but they sure add a nice touch.

And I forgot one more thing: How about the illuminated coloured stripes in the "M" logo of Munich Airport which can be seen on the jetbridges and around the airport? It doesn't have to have changing colours, but some permanent colouring would be great as opposed to the current (unusual) grey.

Point Number 18:

The Lufthansa Technik Hangar got "Tormanschetten" (Sorry, no idea what that's in English :D) 2 years ago:

Maybe those could be added as well...

Archived