CRJ700 Not Climbing properly

OK, I know this topic was already beat to death, but none of the solutions I've read are working for me.   I'm running FSXSE on Windows 10.  When I first purchased this bird it worked just fine, but has become unmanageable.  All the symptoms others have reported are happening to me.  Yes, I deleted all assignments in FSUIPC associated with this aircraft.  No, there was no ICE warning on the EICAS, but I clicked on the SET Payload button  in DAVE several times, no joy.   I've reinstalled the aircraft fresh from the website, so I should have the bug free version, right?   I've manually entered payload and fuel data directly in the MCDU.  I've tried to fly the tutorial to see if I missed something, but never was able to complete the flight.  In fact I haven't been able to complete any flight in the last few weeks.  I bought this bird to replace my TFDI B717, because it had crash to desktop issues, which were addressed for the P3D crowd, and sneaked into an update in my simulator.  I'm attaching screen shots of the last flight.  I was almost 1/3 of the way to destination when the airplane became unstable and dived from 23,000 to 16,000 without me being able to control it.  The stab went to full up and I had to elevator control.  Also the spoilers are deploying without input, which I think is a protection function if that was modeled. I'm attaching as many screen shots as this post will allow. And a final note, this must be a drag issue because the aircraft used almost half of the fuel load in only 1/3 of the flight, I realize that climbing consumes a lot of fuel, but I think this was excessive.  If you can help resolve this problem I'd appreciated it.  I like playing with buttons, and programming things on airplanes, and this one is great for that!

Please login to display this image.

To me the CRJ's reaction to the speed looks comprehensible.

At decreasing speed the CRJ tries to maintain altitude by increasing the trim, but without pilot intervention the speed decreases even faster because the CRJ has no autothrust and it can end up in a high-speed stall.
This is also shown on the screenshots.

Question: Why do you only have 190 KIAS in the Climb?

I take about 270 - 280 KIAS even with MTOW.
The higher you climb with the 190 KIAS, the higher is the danger to get into a high speed stall at higher FL.

The weather is not the reason ISA Temp and SAT Temp look normal for the FL on the screenshots.
The Pitot heating is switched on?

I have never seen the spoilers or speedbrakes automatically extended on the CRJ.
Pilot input was always required.

But what I have experienced is that the keyboard assignments can changed by themselves without the user changing them.

For example, on my Installation the trimmings (Up / Down) were mixed up.

Another example would be that you have assigned another keyboard action to a joystick key.

Check the keyboard and joystick assignments in the FSX options.

Wolfgang

As Hoffie and Emanuel said, you are flying much too slow in the climb. In climb mode, the aircraft uses pitch to control airspeed. You are telling the aircraft to climb at 190 knots. With the engines set at climb thrust, the only way the aircraft can achieve 190 knots is to pitch the nose way higher than normal. In your first screen shot, the PFD shows your pitch angle is almost 10 degrees. At that high of a pitch angle, drag is going to become massive, and lift will be very low.

Above 10,000 feet, the CRJ should climb at an indicated airspeed of at least 270 knots, but performance will be even better at 290 to 310 knots. The wing is designed to be most efficient (maximum lift and minimum drag) at that speed range.

I have tried several different speeds.  The aircraft will start climb at set speed, and yes I know there's no auto throttle.  I set speed at 250 below 10,000. The plane will start to climb at about 2500-3000 fpm, then will slowly reduce the climb until it gets to 300 fpm, at full throttle.  I've tried several speed settings, but the bird does the same thing every time, and goes to 0 fpm (full throttle) at around 23,000 ft, and does this no matter what my throttle setting is, or speed set on the FMS. As to the spoilers, I've been flying sims for years, and I've checked every keyboard/lever/button that could cause this and there's nothing.  The spoiler sets to 1/3 and I have to use the keyboard to reset it to 0.  I still think this is part of a protection, since there is no input by me when this occurs. As I stated in my post, the bird is using an excessive amount of fuel.  It's like dragging an anchor around behind it.  Other posts talk about icing caused by the aircraft until you push the set payload in DAVE several times, I've done that, no help.  That's why I posted this, because every post I've read on this problem has no solution that works for me.  I'm coming on to too many hours messing around with this aircraft, and I'm about ready to dump it and move on. I was hoping that someone could help, as I like the aircraft, just getting fed up trying to fix it.  I'm running FSXSE not P3d, so there may be another solution, as most of the posts I've read were addressing this issue for P3d.

1 hour ago, Jim Coon said:

I have tried several different speeds.  The aircraft will start climb at set speed, and yes I know there's no auto throttle.  I set speed at 250 below 10,000. The plane will start to climb at about 2500-3000 fpm, then will slowly reduce the climb until it gets to 300 fpm, at full throttle.  I've tried several speed settings, but the bird does the same thing every time, and goes to 0 fpm (full throttle) at around 23,000 ft, and does this no matter what my throttle setting is, or speed set on the FMS. As to the spoilers, I've been flying sims for years, and I've checked every keyboard/lever/button that could cause this and there's nothing.  The spoiler sets to 1/3 and I have to use the keyboard to reset it to 0.  I still think this is part of a protection, since there is no input by me when this occurs. As I stated in my post, the bird is using an excessive amount of fuel.  It's like dragging an anchor around behind it.  Other posts talk about icing caused by the aircraft until you push the set payload in DAVE several times, I've done that, no help.  That's why I posted this, because every post I've read on this problem has no solution that works for me.  I'm coming on to too many hours messing around with this aircraft, and I'm about ready to dump it and move on. I was hoping that someone could help, as I like the aircraft, just getting fed up trying to fix it.  I'm running FSXSE not P3d, so there may be another solution, as most of the posts I've read were addressing this issue for P3d.

The RJ doesn't have "protection" in the way that airbuses do.  In almost every vertical mode it'll stall itself if the power isn't there. The "protection" is the stall warning system and stick pusher. 

As for the pictures you're showing us, you somehow have MCT and APR posted for both engines, and I'm wondering if that's not doing something funky in the background. That's not a normal condition for the engines, and required the pressing of the High Power Schedule button in the cockpit which is put there for certification purposes, and never for use on the regular flights. 

So without seeing what FADEC is commanding normally, it's going to be hard for us to help you because there's already a non-normal engine condition that you've somehow managed to create. 

That being said, climb schedule for the CRJs at work is 250/320/.77

The CRJ is just absolutely brutal when falling behind the drag curve, it requires thousands of feet of altitude loss if you fall behind the curve. 

For reference, VT is the absolute lowest you should be flying in a clean configuration climb. This speed is valid up to FL200, at which it progressively increases as you get higher. 

Did you press the High Power Schedule button? Also, please show us the W&B dialog from FSX, not the configurator, so we can make sure it's communicating properly with the .CFG files. 

Also, just to cover our bases, did you disable your antivirus when you installed? I forgot to do that once and I caused so many problems I couldn't even list then if I tried. 

If your spoilers are auto-deploying, that's a extra funky one, and id bet something's influencing it. The spoilers have an extremely strict criteria for automatically deploying, and gear on the ground/tires spooling is required. In flight they only do what you tell them.

23 hours ago, Jim Coon said:

The only time the spoilers will automatically deploy on any CRJ is on landing. If they are coming out by themselves in flight, it would seem to indicate something is corrupt or otherwise bugged in your installation, or you may have an axis or switch in your hardware that has been inadvertently assigned to spoilers. Either problem could have something to do with the problems you are experiencing. 

In your first screen shot, the commanded speed shows 180 knots, which should never be done at that high of an altitude. If the commanded speed went to 180 by itself, then there is definitely something buggy in your installation. 

I normally climb at 240 knots below 10,000 feet with the power levers set in the climb detent (one notch back from TOGA) after gear and flaps are retracted. At 10,000 feet, I increase the speed knob to 290 knots. This will cause the aircraft to pitch down to accelerate to the new commanded speed, and the rate of climb may briefly reduce to near zero for a few moments, but once the new higher speed is achieved, the nose will gradually pitch up again, and rate of climb will start to increase.

In managed speed climb, where airspeed is controlled by pitch, you cannot directly control the climb rate. The rate you get will depend on aircraft weight and outside air temperature. It can vary up and down throughout the climb. It may briefly drop to near zero from time to time if the outside air temperature is unusually warm, or the wind direction shifts, but it will usually start increasing again. When you are in a speed mode climb, you should never get impatient and try to directly control climb rate by changing the airspeed setting. In speed mode, rate of climb will not be constant, it will vary throughout the climb.

I cannot over-emphasize one thing too much. If you are using speed mode to climb, you should never, under any circumstances, set the speed knob any lower than 250 knots, above 10,000 feet, (and 290 to 320 knots would be preferred). 

OK, to answer the MCT/APR statement, that occurs when you firewall the throttles in an attempt to stay airborne because of insufficient air speed. I managed to do an emergency landing while pushing the yoke to full forward to keep the nose down and speed up, and that wasn't an easy feet.  Next I've just completed 3 successful flights.  The glitch in the CRJ Manager causing an in accurate loading  of the aircraft was the cause to my problem.  This aircraft wasn't designed to be airborne with 90,000 pounds onboard.  So now I not only have to load a default aircraft before I can fly the CRJ, Push the Set Payload button in DAVE a few times to  override the ice glitch,  and now I have to make sure that I cover the glitch in the Manager loading the aircraft properly. Why aren't these problems being fixed and updated?  I use FSXSE.  Thanks for your replies. If it wasn't for the Manager loading issue being mentioned I'd have never thought about looking there.  As to me setting the speed too low, I was doing that in an attempt to get the nose down to increase my airspeed, and troubleshoot the climb problem.  Now that this issue with loading was resolved, I'm able to climb (with the throttle at climb detente) to set altitude, and the fuel usage is back to normal.  Hours of  troubleshooting all due to the Manager not working properly. Again, thanks to those that replied. Thanks JRBarrette, I know that already, as I said the settings you've seen in the screenshots is an attempt to correct the climb issue.

1 hour ago, Jim Coon said:

OK, to answer the MCT/APR statement, that occurs when you firewall the throttles in an attempt to stay airborne because of insufficient air speed. I managed to do an emergency landing while pushing the yoke to full forward to keep the nose down and speed up, and that wasn't an easy feet.  Next I've just completed 3 successful flights.  The glitch in the CRJ Manager causing an in accurate loading  of the aircraft was the cause to my problem.  This aircraft wasn't designed to be airborne with 90,000 pounds onboard.  So now I not only have to load a default aircraft before I can fly the CRJ, Push the Set Payload button in DAVE a few times to  override the ice glitch,  and now I have to make sure that I cover the glitch in the Manager loading the aircraft properly. Why aren't these problems being fixed and updated?  I use FSXSE.  Thanks for your replies. If it wasn't for the Manager loading issue being mentioned I'd have never thought about looking there.  As to me setting the speed too low, I was doing that in an attempt to get the nose down to increase my airspeed, and troubleshoot the climb problem.  Now that this issue with loading was resolved, I'm able to climb (with the throttle at climb detente) to set altitude, and the fuel usage is back to normal.  Hours of  troubleshooting all due to the Manager not working properly. Again, thanks to those that replied. Thanks JRBarrette, I know that already, as I said the settings you've seen in the screenshots is an attempt to correct the climb issue.

Yes, a massive overloading of the aircraft could cause that problem for sure. Glad you found it.

Do understand though, that if you are in managed speed mode in climb, decreasing the airspeed setting will only make the nose pitch up farther than it already is. The only way to get the nose to pitch down is to dial in a higher airspeed.

3 hours ago, JRBarrett said:

I cannot over-emphasize one thing too much. If you are using speed mode to climb, you should never, under any circumstances, set the speed knob any lower than 250 knots, above 10,000 feet, (and 290 to 320 knots would be preferred). 

Unless you have a speedbook that shows you can ;) but this product doesn't have that, so what he says stands, because 250 will protect you from low speed buffet onset even at FL410 😛

As for loading a default aircraft before the RJ, this is common across all fancy add-on aircraft.

For some it's as simple a leaving the default aircraft on startup to a default aircraft, for others it seems they need to fully load and swap. Why that is though is a topic for a different thread. 

• Developer

One word on the reason why we ask users to load a default aircraft first. There's a number of events that are fired during startup. Flight loading, aircraft loading, simulation start etc., stuff like this. Unfortunately, the order and number of these events is not consistent between loading a flight from the free flight window or file versus just switching between aircraft. For example, if you load a flight from the free flight window, the SimStart event ("Simulation has started and is ready") occurs about five times and about three of those are in a state when the simulation is all but ready. Every data you get during these early SimStart events is not usable. However, if you switch aircraft after loading  a flight, then everything is consistent and SimStart really means that the simulation has started.

The bottom line is that this recommendation barely has anything to with the aircraft itself but with the state of the simulator. Therefore, loading a default aircraft first, can be recommended for any add-on aircraft.

Archived